Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

It’s not much is it. Cold here in Banbury. Snowy temperatures me reckons. As long as it doesn’t freeze the water it can snow as much as it likes.

We had a fair bit overnight and this morning here in the Fens. The BBC reckoned it would be sleet, but the snow hadn't read their forecast.

On 19/05/2020 at 14:42, John Liley said:

Somewhere between Gouda and Utrecht, I think,...

PICT0162.jpg

L04681s.jpg.096cfc66409245854584a151ce2e3fd5.jpgThis windmill (1983) was north of Utrecht on the outskirts of Amsterdam, on one of our infrequent forays on to continental waterways. Similar external connection to a pump. (?)

14 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

And a Birmingham built car it is too.

....at the factory which, for many years, was known by locals as "The Orstin". I wonder if it subsequently became known as "The Choinese".

Edited by Athy

Yesterday our time, still today your time.

A day on the water, the last event of the year, for the Classic Yacht Association of NZ.

Yacht Race, Launch Race, from Auckland to Waiheke Island plus evening BBQ.

Because the gaff decided to chew up the copper bearing collar of the mast on the 58ft 1894 gaff rigged cutter Waitangi we were a "Did not Compete" leaving me redundant.

I was co-opted into assisting with the Launch Race, The Launch division a consequence of the floating legacy of our late 19thC to late 20th  wooden boatbuilders building both.

The launch race was from the inner harbour out to Patio Bay at the Eastern end of Waiheke Island via 4 intermediate pick up a card locations.

about 28 nautical  miles. My task was to be transported by the start boat, an inelegant former Am Cup team chase boat, named  Mattress, on account of her slab cushion sides, and her handling characteristics,  to a remote bay separating Rangitoto and Mototapu Islands and await the racing fleet of only four entrants, give them their card and join the last boat for the remainder of the race.

It was not without incident, as all of the boats arrived together but the sole adult on  Lucinda had not unloaded his dinghy  from the roof prior, or test started the outboard prior. Things then got worse, The anchor jumped out of its cradle upon retrieval, the skipper went forward to stow it correctly. Next I hear his 5year old daughter leaning over the transom "Dad What are you doing there" A big guy floating around the back of a boat adrift. Fortunately he could tell me where the rope ladder was stowed, and he boarded bloodied cold and wet. I took the helm and the 50hp Perkins got us underway. 

DSC_0647.JPG

10 minutes ago, D&V said:

2020 British designed and built Brittania 

bow down and going for it, A whole new type of fast

DSC_0675cropped.JPG

Some how I got into a sign in page and could not shake it off. Seems there is two of us now

1 hour ago, DandV said:

Some how I got into a sign in page and could not shake it off. Seems there is two of us now

Report yourself to the mods so you don't get banned, and ask them to fix it for you.  We'd hate to miss your posts, especially those of lovely boats in the sunshine while it's dark and freezing here!

11 hours ago, D&V said:

Yesterday our time, still today your time.

A day on the water, the last event of the year, for the Classic Yacht Association of NZ.

Yacht Race, Launch Race, from Auckland to Waiheke Island plus evening BBQ.

Because the gaff decided to chew up the copper bearing collar of the mast on the 58ft 1894 gaff rigged cutter Waitangi we were a "Did not Compete" leaving me redundant.

I was co-opted into assisting with the Launch Race, The Launch division a consequence of the floating legacy of our late 19thC to late 20th  wooden boatbuilders building both.

The launch race was from the inner harbour out to Patio Bay at the Eastern end of Waiheke Island via 4 intermediate pick up a card locations.

about 28 nautical  miles. My task was to be transported by the start boat, an inelegant former Am Cup team chase boat, named  Mattress, on account of her slab cushion sides, and her handling characteristics,  to a remote bay separating Rangitoto and Mototapu Islands and await the racing fleet of only four entrants, give them their card and join the last boat for the remainder of the race.

It was not without incident, as all of the boats arrived together but the sole adult on  Lucinda had not unloaded his dinghy  from the roof prior, or test started the outboard prior. Things then got worse, The anchor jumped out of its cradle upon retrieval, the skipper went forward to stow it correctly. Next I hear his 5year old daughter leaning over the transom "Dad What are you doing there" A big guy floating around the back of a boat adrift. Fortunately he could tell me where the rope ladder was stowed, and he boarded bloodied cold and wet. I took the helm and the 50hp Perkins got us underway. 

DSC_0647.JPG

And not a fender tp be seen

• Happy 1