Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2014

spacer.pngMarple Locks on a Canal&RiverTrust Open Day

Ground paddle shutter

Always interesting to see the hole the water comes through.

One of the Napton Locks, open day November 2014.

DSCF1921.jpg

DSCF1911.jpg

Plus Hatton February 2015.

DSCF2059.JPG

Edited by Ray T

4 hours ago, John Liley said:

I seem to have travelled at times of decay. The collapsing factory was at Burnley, if I remember, the barge on the bank somewhere on the eastern side of the Leeds and Liverpool, the one heeling over at Wigan top, all in 1970 .To cheer things up a little the Richard is unloading newsprint at Leeds, a year or two earlier

L & L3.jpeg

L & L2.jpeg

The first is James at Shipley. It could be Monk's James, which was built as Comet for Canal Transport in 1938, though Crooke and Thompson, one of the Blackburn coal merchants, also had a Janes, built at Riley Green in 1947. The photo was taken just after launch.

I was told the second, at the top of Wigan, was Monk's Wilfred, built as Spica for Ben Walls in 1928. I believe it was bought and moored above the locks by the local angling club to be used as a club house

James 1947.jpg

• Greenie 1

On Monday 1st 2014 most of the boat owners had gathered ready to move below the next lock whilst the pound (bief) was drained. I went with a local man to look at the situation only to find it was completely dry the canal having closed at the end of October. Madam Vallet the vnf director from Tonnerre turned up in her car to tell us that we must move and they had started running water. After she left the local foreman arrived and I asked if it was ok to let my boat rest on the bottom, no problem and he let slip that the reason they were draining was to get a big coping stone out and repair the wall being able to charge the lorry firm for the time. This coping was on the opposite side to the accident

E839736C-3C05-4037-870D-19B5D1AC29D7.jpeg

• Greenie 1

Not many canals down here in my part of the world, but we do have the Tavistock canal, built in the early 1800's to connect Tavistock to the River Tamar, to transport various metal bearing ore in both directions. Although it's not exactly the most impressive looking canal ever built (it's only 3 foot deep, generally), it is still in water, as it serves a hydro electric plant these days - it was intentionally built with a very slight "downhill run" - and it does have a 2500 yard tunnel (no access by foot unfortunately), an inclined plane and an aqueduct along the route.

As it was a nice day today, we thought it was a good time for an end of lockdown walk.

"Arty" type sign attached to bridge :

128950115_3589638071094985_3129413672364069543_n.jpg.ad7980093200c15b049827b37e5b11b0.jpg

Approaching Shillamill viaduct, the now disused double track main line which used to run from Plymouth to Tavistock and which crosses the canal.

579819778_IMG_20201201_122306(003).jpg.65ab4d1731dcb68270fb69b9e44640a8.jpg

Lift bridge and sluice, which leads to someone's garden !

IMG_20201201_125138.jpg.c633de683871d18c30b5fa6e35bca5a1.jpg

Culvert carrying the canal over farm track. Even in rural Devon, in the middle of nowhere we still have the obligatory "tagging" graffiti !

IMG_20201201_133559.jpg.68a6f42a6d5a051ce6a22cc6ac018fc6.jpg

• Greenie 3

On the 2nd When I got up the level was well down but not until midday did the barge settle on the bottom. Two of the other moorers had moved and were now stuck below the next lock down. As soon as the barge settled I set off for calais 5 hours away. The owners of the B and B would tie it back when the level returned. The vnf arrived with a digger to retrieve the coping and in their usual incompetent way it was so small it couldn’t reach the bottom. 

22389CAB-28D6-4BC2-AEEF-6629D86FB808.jpeg

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

On the 2nd When I got up the level was well down but not until midday did the barge settle on the bottom. Two of the other moorers had moved and were now stuck below the next lock down. As soon as the barge settled I set off for calais 5 hours away. The owners of the B and B would tie it back when the level returned. The vnf arrived with a digger to retrieve the coping and in their usual incompetent way it was so small it couldn’t reach the bottom. 

22389CAB-28D6-4BC2-AEEF-6629D86FB808.jpeg

Quelle Surprise ?