Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

This date in 2014 was a Friday and in the evening I got an e.mail from vnf saying I had to be at my boat by Monday morning to move it as they were going to drain the pound to recover stuff from this trucks load which had crashed through the bridge and into the canal. It’s over 500miles plus a channel crossing and the barge (the blue hull)visible through the bridge was winterised. Luckily there’s a B and B on the site. I drove down on the Saturday

C58185A6-38BB-40F3-9863-10F2659C7FFA.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

On 28/11/2020 at 10:33, Dav and Pen said:

This date in 2014 was a Friday and in the evening I got an e.mail from vnf saying I had to be at my boat by Monday morning to move it as they were going to drain the pound to recover stuff from this trucks load which had crashed through the bridge and into the canal. It’s over 500miles plus a channel crossing and the barge (the blue hull)visible through the bridge was winterised. Luckily there’s a B and B on the site. I drove down on the Saturday

C58185A6-38BB-40F3-9863-10F2659C7FFA.jpeg

I know the feeling - the message from VNF, the miles to cover (on the assumption you had nothing else to do). We have just, last night, Nov 28,had a call to say the Yonne water level has been dramatically dropped (in order that the Auxerre barrage could be repointed), that the gangplank structure has gone into the water, that the vessel is tilting, etc. Fortunately a family member is still in France, though on the way back to Blighty, and can turn around to sort. At least we don't have a lorry to recover.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That scene looks familiar; where is it?

Th e place is called Pont Royal on the Yonne side of the Burgundy Canal. We wintered the barge there. The Lorry was lifted out on Friday afternoon and by the time I got there Saturday night nothing much left and no pollution from diesel in the canal. They think the driver fell asleep. It would seem that there was a mixed load on board and quite a lot of it was wine and it being a weekend with no police interest once the truck was removed very little was left to recover on Monday. People in Burgundy all have extensive cellars and the locals even bigger ones now!

09672406-31F0-4EF3-A5EB-410541D088D4.jpeg

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

On 25/11/2020 at 14:57, John Liley said:

Castlefields etc in the 1960s. Gloomsville indeed.

Torksey.jpeg

Torksey 1.jpeg

Torksey 2.jpeg

I am not sure which the sunken boat is in the first photo, possibly Monk's Pauline, which was built in 1942 for Canal Transport Ltd as Sirius. The Christine was an Albert Blundell boat, originally built as steamer 31 for Lancashire Canal Transport in 1927, and subsequently motorised in 1935 by Canal Transport to become Don, before being bought by Albert.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Pluto said:

I am not sure which the sunken boat is in the first photo, possibly Monk's Pauline, which was built in 1942 for Canal Transport Ltd as Sirius. The Christine was an Albert Blundell boat, originally built as steamer 31 for Lancashire Canal Transport in 1927, and subsequently motorised in 1935 by Canal Transport to become Don, before being bought by Albert.

I seem to have travelled at times of decay. The collapsing factory was at Burnley, if I remember, the barge on the bank somewhere on the eastern side of the Leeds and Liverpool, the one heeling over at Wigan top, all in 1970 .To cheer things up a little the Richard is unloading newsprint at Leeds, a year or two earlier

L & L1.jpeg

L & L3.jpeg

L & L2.jpeg

L & L4.jpeg

• Greenie 4

On 29/11/2020 at 14:48, Dav and Pen said:

Th e place is called Pont Royal on the Yonne side of the Burgundy Canal. We wintered the barge there. The Lorry was lifted out on Friday afternoon and by the time I got there Saturday night nothing much left and no pollution from diesel in the canal. They think the driver fell asleep. It would seem that there was a mixed load on board and quite a lot of it was wine and it being a weekend with no police interest once the truck was removed very little was left to recover on Monday. People in Burgundy all have extensive cellars and the locals even bigger ones now!

09672406-31F0-4EF3-A5EB-410541D088D4.jpeg

Sounds like a re-enactment of ‘Whisky Galore ‘

• Greenie 1