Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2004

spacer.png

Great Haywood Junction  Compare #3852 (1995) #527 (2001) #3586 (2012) #699 #2712 (2013) #3918 (2014) #3580 (2015) #3989 (2016) #1945 (2019)

More twentyfirsts of November. Try clicking on the three vertical dots (menu) and then selecting the slideshow option. And So To Bed

35 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2004

spacer.png

Great Haywood Junction  Compare #3852 (1995) #527 (2001) #3586 (2012) #699 #2712 (2013) #3918 (2014) #3580 (2015) #3989 (2016) #1945 (2019)

More twentyfirsts of November. Try clicking on the three vertical dots (menu) and then selecting the slideshow option. And So To Bed

Whil sorting out the photo of the canalside distillery on the C de Garonne I came across further photos of the Sirdar, the last working berrichon  (vessel from the Canal de Berry), the nearest thing in France to a narrow boat. Here she is working through the staircase locks at Le Guetin, on her way with a cargo of cement to a factory at Digoin. The horse and mule that towed her had to go by local road while a tractor pulled the vessel along the aqueduct over the Allier at the top

Guetin 1.jpeg

Guetin.jpeg

PICT0548.jpg

Just now, John Liley said:

Whil sorting out the photo of the canalside distillery on the C de Garonne I came across further photos of the Sirdar, the last working berrichon  (vessel from the Canal de Berry), the nearest thing in France to a narrow boat. Here she is working through the staircase locks at Le Guetin, on her way with a cargo of cement to a factory at Digoin. The horse and mule that towed her had to go by local road while a tractor pulled the vessel along the aqueduct over the Allier at the top

Guetin 1.jpeg

Guetin.jpeg

PICT0548.jpg

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, John Liley said:

Whil sorting out the photo of the canalside distillery on the C de Garonne I came across further photos of the Sirdar, the last working berrichon  (vessel from the Canal de Berry), the nearest thing in France to a narrow boat.

What year was that John? We got fuel and water from one working as a bunker ship on the Seine in Paris in the mid-late 90s but that doesn't really count.

Tam

On this day in 2003

spacer.pngWe were just finishing going down the Wolverhampton 21 and wondered why there was a television on the slide. Not being particulary interested in people kicking balls about it took some thought to recall that the Rugby Union World Cup Final had just about started. We listened on Radio Five and  hence to the classic commentary "Jonny Wilkinson Kicks For Glory ... " (last minute of extra time - scores level at 17-17)

And at Aldersley Junction:

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

What year was that John? We got fuel and water from one working as a bunker ship on the Seine in Paris in the mid-late 90s but that doesn't really count.

Tam

So long ago, I hesitate to reveal it. 1968. I had just been made editor of Motor Boat & Yachting and was invited to the area by Peter Zivy, who was struggling to keep the Canal du Nivernais from being abandoned. He lent me one of his six cruisers for two weeks and, being intent on seeing as much as we could, we did the full circuit from the top of the Nivernais to the Seine and back.

I wrote four articles on the trip, which Peter was able to wave in front of the government minister concerned as evidence of the enthusiasm for canals in the UK -Peter's firm was the only one in the whole of France hiring boats at that time. The concept for French people was a strange one and, anyway, they had to pass exams before taking out a boat. Visitors, on the other hand, could travel under whatever rules were in force in their home countries and, fortunately, in Britain there wern't any. Hence Peter's interest in a British clientele..

A couple more horse-bpat photos herewith, both in the vicinity of Le Guetin, near Nevers.

PICT0970.jpg

PICT0183.jpg

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2003

spacer.pngWe were just finishing going down the Wolverhampton 21 and wondered why there was a television on the slide. Not being particulary interested in people kicking balls about it took some thought to recall that the Rugby Union World Cup Final had just about started. We listened on Radio Five and  hence to the classic commentary "Jonny Wilkinson Kicks For Glory ... " (last minute of extra time - scores level at 17-17)

And at Aldersley Junction:

Was the test match on

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

Thanks John. That looks to be quite a turn for the 'animules' to pull the boat around - can't see any sign of a strapping post either.

Tam

They look like fairly small mules as well. This is the turn leading to the aqueduct. 

5 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

That’s still a scary staircase as the rope is far to long to give any control and there’s no bollards or hooks in the wall.

CF660217-3DDE-4AD3-AA8E-F94370C92E32.jpeg

01679D9F-2541-4C09-BC99-6C894D5D66D3.jpeg

In summer, and at weekends, there is usually a bundle of onlookers at Le Guetin. If British people stare at you and you stare back they generally look embarrassed. In France they will wave: one of those cultural differences I find rather charming. They are just about to do so here, but I had to flick the ropes off - never easy in such deep locks as these - so I didn't have time for more photos.

PICT0198.jpg

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2003

spacer.png

Wolverhampton Lock 16 (of the 21) BCN Main Line and lower down the flight

spacer.png

spacer.png

Am I in the minority of enjoying the Wolvo flight ? We've been up & down sooo many times over the years(we used to moor in Oldbury),so did them many times.Had the early morning lack of water problems, but frequently had CRT help.Really enjoyed these locks due to the changes in scenery.

• Love 1