Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

Today at Napton. Lock 9 having new top and bottom gates. Rothens nice little pusher Enterprise.

Tug photo keeps coming out upside down and I can’t remember how I corrected this last time it happened.

8267C587-DA86-4CD1-9ABB-E7DCC2CE71A5.jpeg

My favourite lock flight, which alas I haven't seen this year.

On this day in 1983

spacer.pngspacer.png

(first image) Rochdale9 Manchester, the top lock of the flight  Compare #1068 with views here from 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2019

(second image)  Ancoats Upper Lock No 82 and Kitty Footbridge

(third image) Some need of water between them

(fourth image) MilesPlatting: landscaped lock and chimney

(fifth image) Kitty Footbridge from t'other direction

Compare #1059 #1061  also this day

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2001

spacer.png

Anderton Lift before the completion of the restoration and alongside  the River Weaver below

spacer.png

A different kind of lift or, rather, a water slope, This one, at Montech on the Canal de Garonne, has been out of use for ten years, but  is due for restoration, soon. A pool of water is pushed up the slope by the moving gate, propelled by the two locomotives. We brought the barge Palinurus through in it many yearsagao, and also travelled in the steeper one beside the staircase locks at Beziers on the Midi. The latter ran disastrously out of control one day, fortunately without a boat inside, although the wave it created wrecked another, a hire boat in the next lock down.

Montech.jpeg

• Greenie 3

32 minutes ago, John Liley said:

A different kind of lift or, rather, a water slope, This one, at Montech on the Canal de Garonne, has been out of use for ten years, but  is due for restoration, soon. A pool of water is pushed up the slope by the moving gate, propelled by the two locomotives. We brought the barge Palinurus through in it many yearsagao, and also travelled in the steeper one beside the staircase locks at Beziers on the Midi. The latter ran disastrously out of control one day, fortunately without a boat inside, although the wave it created wrecked another, a hire boat in the next lock down.

Montech.jpeg

We went up (and back down) the Montech flight three years ago, and paused to admire the slope and its little trains.

Its pending restoration is news to me; when was that decided? I thought the slope was permanently stuffed and mounted.

The nearby branch to Montauban, though it looks boring on a map (five or six miles of almost dead straight canal) we found surprisingly scenic and charming.

1 hour ago, John Liley said:

Montech.jpeg... a water slope, This one, at Montech on the Canal de Garonne, has been out of use for ten years, but  is due for restoration, soon. A pool of water is pushed up the slope by the moving gate, propelled by the two locomotives. ...

59 minutes ago, Athy said:

We went up (and back down) the Montech flight three years ago, and paused to admire the slope and its little trains.

Its pending restoration is news to me; when was that decided? ...

spacer.png

The nice Mr Google found the photo, and from www.french-waterways.com  the information about the waterslope that "its restoration is delayed because of the ... cost, more than €4 million. When restored, it will be adapted so that plaisanciers can use it "

On this day in 2004

spacer.png

Stoke T&M from railway footbridge looking south.  Compare #3394 (1977) #4048 (1993) #2584 (1997) #2881 (1998) #1725 (2000) #506 (2001) #3376 (2009) #2776 #3519 #3583 (2012) #1459 (2013) #3924 (2014) #3679 (2019) #3346 (2020)

spacer.png

Emerging from the temporary tunnel below Stoke bottom lock, for the realignment of the A500

spacer.pngspacer.png

18 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

The nice Mr Google found the photo, and from www.french-waterways.com  the information about the waterslope that "its restoration is delayed because of the ... cost, more than €4 million. When restored, it will be adapted so that plaisanciers can use it "

Oh yes, that sounds familiar In the words of the '60s song, "This year, next year, sometime, never".

50 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2004

spacer.png

Stoke T&M from railway footbridge looking south.  Compare #3394 (1977) #4048 (1993) #2584 (1997) #2881 (1998) #1725 (2000) #506 (2001) #3376 (2009) #2776 #3519 #3583 (2012) #1459 (2013) #3924 (2014) #3679 (2019) #3346 (2020)

spacer.png

Emerging from the temporary tunnel below Stoke bottom lock, for the realignment of the A500

spacer.pngspacer.png

I went through there as well

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Oh yes, that sounds familiar In the words of the '60s song, "This year, next year, sometime, never".

The slope, together with the one at Beziers, was an experiment on behalf of projected new waterways elsewhere, in particular. a jarge-sized link between the Rhine and Saone. But locks, apparently, are considered more reliable.

On a separate note I fondly remember the Garonne Canal for a travelling distillery, encountered one day upon the banks. Such stills were common when I first started visiting France, supervised by genial gentlemen who would convert whatever might be brought to them into a high-percentage form of firewater. They were phased out by government decree, although such distillation continues, under licence, at many wine-makers, mainly to produce marc from grape remnants. It used to be possible to buy marc at greengrocer's shops, though that trade, too, seems to have faded.

Garonne still.jpeg

Edited by John Liley
Mis-spelling
  • Greenie 3

52 minutes ago, John Liley said:

The slope, together with the one at Beziers, was an experiment on behalf of projected new waterways elsewhere, in particular. a jarge-sized link between the Rhine and Saone. But locks, apparently, are considered more reliable.

On a separate note I fondly remember the Garonne Canal for a travelling distillery, encountered one day upon the banks. Such stills were common when I first started visiting France, supervised by genial gentlemen who would convert whatever might be brought to them into a high-percentage form of firewater. They were phased out by government decree, although such distillation continues, under licence, at many wine-makers, mainly to produce marc from grape remnants. It used to be possible to buy marc at greengrocer's shops, though that trade, too, seems to have faded.

Garonne still.jpeg

What a classic photo, so very French.

On this day in 2003

spacer.png

Oozells Street Loop BCN Compare #372 (1993) #948 (1999) #3764 (2002) #4056 

spacer.png

Farmers Bridge flight B+F  More twentieths of November. Try clicking on the three vertical dots (menu) and then selecting the slideshow option. And So To Bed