Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

The no mooring signs were put up at the behest of a Coventry City Councillor who objected to the fact that moored boats overlooked her property at bedroom level!

Again I think it was an occasion of NIMBYISM. Similar to those who buy a cottage in a rural village and then complain about the church bells.

I do not know if she still lives there.

The canal was there first!!!!

I don’t consider it NIMBYISM at all. Just seems logical given you can look directly into people’s bedrooms. That’s a fairly rare situation. It’s different from a case where people are mooring opposite a house at the same ground level.

Add to the consideration that change of use is the key factor rather than who was there first. When the canal was built I doubt it would have been used for mooring at that point. It may even be that some of houses pre-date regular mooring at that spot.

On this day in 1973

spacer.png

spacer.pngBuckby locks GU.

On an earlier camper trip we had a gas-heater contraption in the hold which was a burner directly on top of a gas bottle. Someone had thought better of this idea, and banned it on grounds of safety. In anticipation of a cold night I took, iirc, eight (admittedly thin) blankets which I wrapped in layers around a sleeping bag, and this kept me suitably warm. Others in the hold had fewer layers and spent the night complaining that it was unbearably cold and couldn't get any colder. Which until about 3am, it did. 

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1973

spacer.png

spacer.pngBuckby locks GU.

On an earlier camper trip we had a gas-heater contraption in the hold which was a burner directly on top of a gas bottle. Someone had thought better of this idea, and banned it on grounds of safety. In anticipation of a cold night I took, iirc, eight (admittedly thin) blankets which I wrapped in layers around a sleeping bag, and this kept me suitably warm. Others in the hold had fewer layers and spent the night complaining that it was unbearably cold and couldn't get any colder. Which until about 3am, it did. 

Nice to see Crane a few years before we brought her. It could get very cold in the hold and we tried some catalytic heaters that didn’t have a flame. They worked well but made us nervous so discontinued them after one season.

• Happy 1

Today at Napton. Lock 9 having new top and bottom gates. Rothens nice little pusher Enterprise.

Tug photo keeps coming out upside down and I can’t remember how I corrected this last time it happened.

8267C587-DA86-4CD1-9ABB-E7DCC2CE71A5.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 1