Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2011

spacer.png

The disused lock on the right is, I think, the last surviving A&CN lock from the navigation's 1777 reconstruction. It is of L&LC size, the previous locks on the navigation having been smaller. The navigation was enlarged again in the early 1800s, and it is from that time that the lock alongside, and just out of shot, was built, with the extension downstream taking place around the 1860s, from memory. The drawing shows the lock in 1715, though I am unsure if it dates from 1 November.

1715 Leeds.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

Today, volunteer lock-keeper in action on Tardebigge flight.

EED68EEB-C17A-4817-9255-F74BD0BE3515.jpeg

Good job his face is turned away. He might me in trouble otherwise with this pic on-line. A Hillmorton Vlocky told me they aren't allowed to do the bold step across a signle open gate, but have to go around the other end. No idea if this is true, but I can't see an elth'n'safety person being too happy.

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Good job his face is turned away. He might me in trouble otherwise with this pic on-line. A Hillmorton Vlocky told me they aren't allowed to do the bold step across a signle open gate, but have to go around the other end. No idea if this is true, but I can't see an elth'n'safety person being too happy.

That Hillmorton volockie would have been an official one, this was an unofficial one. Altogether more useful.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Someone should really tell him that the lifejacket goes over the coat as well, not under it!

I tend to stand just on the far gate and push the near gate open with my back foot rather than step across like that.

Usually step back the other way though - from the closed gate to the fully open one - where there's a wider landing area and usually a good handgrip on the paddlegear to catch.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Someone should really tell him that the lifejacket goes over the coat as well, not under it!

I tend to stand just on the far gate and push the near gate open with my back foot rather than step across like that.

Usually step back the other way though - from the closed gate to the fully open one - where there's a wider landing area and usually a good handgrip on the paddlegear to catch.

He mostly did push one gate open from the middle with the back foot.

I prefer to step across both ways though. You can be positive with transferring your weight to where you need to be. I cringe when I see people step across but try and keep their weight back and tentatively reach forward with their leading foot.

28 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

There is a boat approaching so he is going to be leaving the gates open. And he isn't wearing a lifejacket, and if he was it would be outside his coat as he has told many volunteers not to put a coat on top of a lifejacket as it can cause the hood of their coat to fill with water.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Well that's a reason I hadn't considered!  Not the most important one though ... :D

I think a hood full of water pulling your head under and drowning you is quite important especially as the coat may stop the jacket inflating properly.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I think a hood full of water pulling your head under and drowning you is quite important especially as the coat may stop the jacket inflating properly.

Well yes, the failure to inflate is the reason I had in mind.

I thought you meant that he meant when not fallen in the lumpiness of the lifejacket lets your hood catch rainwater.

On this day in 1993

spacer.png

Transporting Wedgewood pottery Caldon Canal Compare #222 #228

spacer.png

Etruria staircase

Compare

#3395 (1978)

#2464 (2012)

And winding the middle paddles

spacer.pngMore firsts of November Try clicking on the three vertical dots (menu) and then selecting the slideshow option