Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2008

spacer.png

Braunston Locks. Below Admiral Nelson

Ah, 3 lovely boats.

The little one is a Mike Heywood, the chap on the back was an American, he used to come over with his wife for the Summer every year and live on the 30 (?) foot boat. It had everything you needed, including 2 guest bunks!!! It's the best use of space I have ever seen. Unfortunately, time caught up with them a few Summers ago and they had to sell up and go home. It now moors half way down Hillmorton.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

spacer.pngAh, 3 lovely boats.

The little one is a Mike Heywood, the chap on the back was an American, he used to come over with his wife for the Summer every year and live on the 30 (?) foot boat. It had everything you needed, including 2 guest bunks!!! It's the best use of space I have ever seen. Unfortunately, time caught up with them a few Summers ago and they had to sell up and go home. It now moors half way down Hillmorton.

spacer.pngYes, they were all in-position for the photo.

Navigationally, the lockwheeler's arm-waving was awry, causing Fulbourne to come forward from the lock mooring a bit too early, and Aldgate ended up on the mud for a while: didn't take too long for Nick to be on his way again, fortunately.

Also it was all on this-day today in 2008. We continued past Norton Junction   ...

spacer.png

... and past Edgeware and Balham and Dee and then on past Gayton Junction heading for StokeBruerne to meet Angel

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Compare #1467 (1971) #1473 (2015)

Edited by PeterScott
compare

The glorious Mosel once again: the hill at Cochem, the path through the forest to Burg Eltz and the castle itself, owned by the same family since the 12th Century (33 generations) Roger Pilkington in his Small Boat series goes on at length about this castle, how it was never successfully attacked and how remote it is. When we got there we found it jam-packed with middle-aged German women,  moving like battle-cruisers in the bar-room with giant jars of lager. It was strong stuff too. We only had one glass each, but the walk back was strange. And those woods are spooky

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 15.04.27.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 16.43.43.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 16.44.19.png

Edited by John Liley
Mis-spelling
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2019

Br 82 T&M. And the steps at Sandon Lock (next to Br83)

spacer.png

I remember those well, my Dads last trip helping me along the T&M in midwinter.

We started off from Middlewich with sheet ice on the towpaths, overnighted round the corner on the Macc waiting for Harecastle...hoping someone else was booked through(they were).

Aiming for Great Haywood, it went dark before we reached Sandon, Dad went to sort the gates with a torch.

He seemed to be a long time....eventually, he hobbled back after not seeing the edge!!

On this day in 2014

spacer.png

spacer.pngThe Nice Mr Google knows where this is.

And Canalplan (left) has this lock as its closest approximation

The entertainment is that the cruiser is moored on the riverbank, with a weir upriver and another weir downriver, separating it from the canals. It was moored here for about six years, and visible from the dual carriageway bridge. It might be possible, in times of flood, to navigate over one of the weirs. Seeking a photo I wandered up to a nearby field-entrance, and talking to a chap working there, I found the details of the boat's journey to that mooring. ...

spacer.png

... which had nothing to do with shooting any weirs.

The boat had been brought to the field on the back of a lorry, craned in, and was being used as accommodation during an environmental project. (_sigh_)

19 hours ago, John Liley said:

The glorious Mosel once again: the hill at Cochem, the path through the forest to Burg Eltz and the castle itself, owned by the same family since the 12th Century (33 generations) Roger Pilkington in his Small Boat series goes on at length about this castle, how it was never successfully attacked and how remote it is. When we got there we found it jam-packed with middle-aged German women,  moving like battle-cruisers in the bar-room with giant jars of lager. It was strong stuff too. We only had one glass each, but the walk back was strange. And those woods are spooky

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 15.04.27.png

You can have a trip in a motorised replica of a Roman wine ship. The Mosel area is well worth a visit.

_IGP4617.jpg

• Greenie 2