Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Today in 2015 we were in Cape Cod and visited the coastguard station at Chatham where in 1952 a famous rescue took place when most of the crew of a T2 tanker Pendleton had broken in half in a huge storm. The lifeboat in the picture rescued 32 from the stern half which stayed afloat but the crew including the captain on the other half were lost. At the same time another T2 tanker had broken in half also of Cape Cod and most of the coast guards recourses were attending.A film called the Finest Hours was made in 2016.

I did a trip on one of Shells T2s in 1959 and didn’t know about the problem or else I would have been looking for the crack every time we hit bad weather.

The lifeboat has been restored and is a museum boat still on Cape Cod. The photo is theirs.

EA720A3D-A51A-4DAC-9593-8BAF5B8CB765.jpeg

DD0B52D0-A869-4159-83EF-8B991D151686.jpeg

On this day in 2019

spacer.png

Stoke T&M from railway footbridge looking south.  And looking north including the ex-light on the bridge

spacer.png

Compare #3394 (1977) #2584 (1997) #2881 (1998) #1725 (2000) #506 (2001) #3376 (2009) #2776 #3519 #3583 (2012) #1459 (2013) #3346 (2020)

Today 2015 on our way back to Boston for the flight home stopped to visit the Mayflower replica. Built in 1956 in Devon it was sailed across and donated to the Plimouth foundation. Now after a 3 year restoration at Mystic Seaport costing$11million it is back on its berth.

21FB7D7E-9BA0-421A-8281-66682E7F941E.jpeg

36ED9A12-DC29-471C-8416-2C3D43123F62.jpeg

43757866-BE43-4E97-A9CC-D823B5D36EB6.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 1

Saw Mayflower at Mystic Seaport a couple of years ago and was struck by the really nice underwater lines of it. Probably sailed OK in spite of looking clumsy to our eyes. Not too sure about the block of flats perched on the back of it though.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

I always thought of them as the Daventry Transmitter, but my late father-in-law reckoned they were called the Rugby Repeater. I'm not sure if they had an official name.

Its official name was Rugby Radio Station.

Until 1990, it was operated by British Telecom International (BTI), who I worked for and which was reorganised out of existence. The old BTI sign remained visible from the canal for several years afterwards. To my knowledge it was the last remaining example, presumably because it was forgotten about as it was only visible from the canal.

In the late 1980's I designed a new HV power distribution system for it, but it was sold off to a different operator before it could be implemented.

During the Falklands war the order to sink the Belgrano was transmitted to the submarine fleet via the very low frequency transmittors located there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Radio_Station

• Greenie 2

On this day in 2016

spacer.png

Rebuilding Elland Bridge C+H after the Boxing Day Flood 2015. Brief accounts here and here. Before The Flood (Canalplan) ...

spacer.png

Stranded boat and broken road surface, and during the rebuilding.

L2432_20160105_0007s.jpg.adc84f456d2ca2419099e1b361cc372f.jpg

L2432_20160105_0003s.jpg.a2ffb71ab1d12761959980acabb39aa6.jpgspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
format

20 hours ago, PeterScott said:

All those aerials in Rugby as they used to be

I've told this story before but a mate of mine, when he was quite little, was travelling in the car with his dad as they passed those aerials.  He asked what they were.

"That's where all the TV and radio shows are transmitted from son." 

"Oh...  What are the little aerials for?"

A short pause, then... "They're for Children's Television"

He was perfectly happy with that explanation.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Today 2015 on our way back to Boston for the flight home stopped to visit the Mayflower replica. Built in 1956 in Devon it was sailed across and donated to the Plimouth foundation. 

Wooden boat, free to good home.  May require some basic routine maintenance ...

5 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Now after a 3 year restoration at Mystic Seaport costing $11million it is back on its berth.

Gulp!

On 06/10/2020 at 08:25, Athy said:

I always thought of them as the Daventry Transmitter, but my late father-in-law reckoned they were called the Rugby Repeater. I'm not sure if they had an official name.

Within BT it was known as "Rugby Radio Station," was when I worked for them.

Once went to look for a job there, the place was full of bearded boffins wearing cow gowns and sandals.

All gone now apart from the main building which is a museum.

Edited by Ray T

Lab coats I have, of course, heard of, but I have never heard them called "cow vests" and I can't see why they would be. It must be jargon used amongst those who wear them, just as builders call high-visibility jackets "vizzy vests".

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

Lab coats I have, of course, heard of, but I have never heard them called "cow vests" and I can't see why they would be. It must be jargon used amongst those who wear them, just as builders call high-visibility jackets "vizzy vests".

Or there is the combination of the two...

MAIN-cows.jpg.3fa4ab5cd78a192252085082ff4e33d5.jpg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

...  combination of the two...

which is a clue to the etymology of the COWFONE:

spacer.png

What noise does a COW make? :    "Moo"

What noise does a FONE make:  "Ring Ring"

MooRing Ring

• Haha 1