Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

In 2011 we were on the dock having some doubling done after the 7 year survey. As the work dragged on it became obvious that things were not right with the shipyard. The welder kept getting taken off the job and there was an obvious shortage of materials. We did eventually get away after much pressure from myself. 3bdays later the yard went into bankruptcy.

Vankerkoven at Pont de Vaux near Charleroi Belgium of course. We were there in 2011 too, in July as under (not a 'this day' photo I'm afraid, but it gives an idea of what the yard looked like at the time). They used to be an excellent yard and we first used them in the 90s, but they went rather downhill when the latest generation of the family took over. They were subsequently back in business under new ownership, but all the in-house workshops had gone and everything was done by sub-contractors when we were last there in 2015.

Tam

DSCN2270.JPG

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1

Today in 2015 we visited the Mystic Seaport Museum a place I had heard about over the years. There are lots of buildings that have been moved from various parts of New England and lots of different boats and ships. They also have a large workshop and a boat life that can get any of their exhibits out of the water. The whaler Charles W Morgan was built in 1841 and is the last wooden one. The other ship is called Joseph Conrad built in Copenhagen in 1882. This was a really good day.

2FCB10B5-5283-40FE-B09F-F3812121EC7F.jpeg

562EEA6E-B766-4FD6-BB8E-C7846EE29B57.jpeg

7CC097DF-CF3F-4C9C-8AA7-9E2C83CB7B0B.jpeg

• Greenie 3

Not exactly as scenic is this historic notice identifying disposal tanks for used oil, photographed on the Marne-Saône canal this day 2015. Unfortunately these useful facilities have almost all disappeared now, certainly on the smaller canals, though out of town hypermarkets sometimes have tanks in their forecourt.

It reads:

"Navigation sub-division, Département of the Nord

Land-based reception points for recovery of used oil in service at lock 59 Lanoue at kilometre 28.2  and beside lock 25 Reclancourt km 108.9. Operations carried out under the control of the lock keeper. Obtain ticket at the Freight Office."

Tam

DSCN3664.red.jpg

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Not exactly as scenic is this historic notice identifying disposal tanks for used oil, photographed on the Marne-Saône canal this day 2015. Unfortunately these useful facilities have almost all disappeared now, certainly on the smaller canals, though out of town hypermarkets sometimes have tanks in their forecourt.

It reads:

Land-based reception points for recovery of used oil in service at lock 59 Lanoue at kilometre 28.2  and beside lock 25 Reclancourt km 108.9. Operations carried out under the control of the lock keeper. Obtain ticket at the Freight Office."

Tam

DSCN3664.red.jpg

I was aware of the word "fret", but thanks for adding "affretement" to my vocabulary. What's the difference? Perhaps the latter means something like "freight services"?

How typical of France that you must "vous munir de carnet" before carrying out the procedure.

Edited by Athy

On this day in 2016

spacer.png

Water lacking on the HNC, and some repairs with traditional puddling techniques above next lock. This had become a regular job, three or four times during the summer. More permanent repairs were planned for the winter ...

spacer.png

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

It reads:

Tam

DSCN3664.red.jpg

When we had the GM two stroke engine we got through a lot of oil as it had to be changed at least every 200 hours. There was a disposable tank on the lock side at one of the upper seine locks and after tipping oil in it I was summoned over the Gannon to the office. After climbing up I was given a bit of paper and a demand for 2 euros.

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2019

spacer.png

T&M Colwich Railway Bridge No 71A.  First sign: "Obstruction Ahead CYCLISTS SLOW DOWN AND PREPARE TO DISMOUNT" Experience suggests cyclists and saddles are inseparable. Second sign:  "Obstruction Ahead Canal Narrows 40m ahead. Keep to the Centre of Canal"

Edited by PeterScott
spelling

This day 2015, still on the Marne-Saône canal. There had been a mini tempest which had cut a 30-40m wide swathe through the trees near St Dizier, leaving those to the side apparently completely untouched.

Tam

DSCN3669.jpg

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

This day 2015, still on the Marne-Saône canal. There had been a mini tempest which had cut a 30-40m wide swathe through the trees near St Dizier, leaving those to the side apparently completely untouched.

Tam

DSCN3669.jpg

We had a phenomena like that at Vincelles on the Nivernais. We Had just moored when a mini tornado came through felling a strip of trees just like in your photo. It brought down a very old walnut tree across the road and poured of rain for nearly an hour. The power was out and the hotel had a big party booked for a golden wedding, however the golden couple had had their roof taken off so the party was off anyway. At one point I feared for our wheelhouse roof but in the end no damage. Can’t find the photo of it I’m afraid.

10 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2013

spacer.png

All those aerials in Rugby as they used to be

More fifth-of-Octobers. Try the Slideshow button.

I always thought of them as the Daventry Transmitter, but my late father-in-law reckoned they were called the Rugby Repeater. I'm not sure if they had an official name.