Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

With Stanton and Belmont of the Blue Line fleet on the run from Atherstone to Southall many moons ago. 

In Buckby locks Jim Collins is seen putting into position the thumb lines, as I believe they are known, whereby the gates can be opened by pulling the boats back. Then, when the pair goes out the ropes unwind and drop down into the holds.

We tried this on the Swan and all went well until one day the rope stuck and we came close to tearing the boat apart.

Stanton:Belmont 3.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 09.42.48.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 09.40.55.png

Edited by John Liley
Spelling
  • Greenie 2

In 2015we were touring New England and stopped in Kennebunkport where we visited this Tram museum. Hope you don’t mind non boat pictures. They have an amazing collection including the Blackpool tram being restored.

The Bush family have a residence here on a headland guarded by heavies in dark glasses but obviously some of the local liked him.

6059896A-1C22-47E1-BF08-21FFA038B957.jpeg

8B49A06B-EA5F-44B5-9B4A-960FBD7B3C83.jpeg

41571427-71DA-44C0-828E-123AE125CD4B.jpeg

The HW Bush memorial

E1E24A89-4D3D-409E-B185-FEE4BF9A25F1.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Remove

2 hours ago, Athy said:

spacer.png[Brayford Pool  Fossdyke Canal Lincoln]

A good photo, though I'm surprised by the almost total lack of narrowboats. I can just see one, which appears to be preventing a 'bus from driving into the pool.

spacer.pngDetail from the picture near the only (wide?) narrowboat. It looks like a red marquee of some sort, rather than a bus. Brayford Pool is used mostly for moorings and iirc none of the pontoons are long enough for (say 45') narrowboats. Heard mutterings about lack of depth, too. When we navigated to Lincoln, earlier in 2015, we went through the Glory Hole for some free moorings on the River Witham, near to the shops. Picture of the Pool below does have a few narrowboats moored.

L2361_20150801_0001s.jpg.4c196fe5da178fa0e02e65bc2fbad6bf.jpg

L2361_20150731_0198s.jpg.05aaa5e9f7308e101a2883de66ca288c.jpg

Edited by PeterScott

3 hours ago, Athy said:

A good photo, though I'm surprised by the almost total lack of narrowboats. I can just see one, which appears to be preventing a 'bus from driving into the pool.

There were a few Narrowboats when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_0107.jpg.cdf4f61a48a4708fc4eb97666ada7dc5.jpg

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Athy said:

There are some narrowboats moored on the Brayford Trust moorings but the Lincoln Marina and Lincoln Boat Club moorings are almost all cruisers. Same at Burton Waters, Saxilby Farm and the Torksey CRT Moorings and Elm's Moorings. The Fossdyke and Witham are very much cruiser orientated and have been for many years. Now that more narrowboats are visiting the visitor moorings, more so on the Witham, are becoming inadequate, a couple of narrowboats fill some of them whereas you can get five or six cruisers on them.

The "bus" is the Brayford Belle trip boat.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

So that's where Oliver ended up. It was a trip boat based in Hebden Bridge for years.

It's a bloody nuisance that thing. It is scrap for a start (certainly isn't as tidy as in that picture anymore) and travels so slowly through the Glory Hole that is causes other boats a problem. The skipper has been reported to CRT several times for causing an obstruction to navigation.

On this day 2016. On the ferry from Southampton to Hythe.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

On this day in 2003

spacer.png

spacer.png

Gauxholme Rochdale Canal

Compare

#3528 (1978)

#3537 (1982)

#3520 (23Sep2003),

the last of which was the trip towards Sowerby Bridge in t'other direction: and of course for a 70' boat, it's necessary to return by the same route.

spacer.png

This day in 2010. The first photo shows the remains of the old Chinese Grand Canal, with the new canal just visible behind the grey car. The second photo shows the modern canal with a variety of boats.

2010 Grand Canal.jpg

2010 boats.jpg

This day in 2013 at Shaobu Locks, near Yangzhou, China.

2013 Shaobu Locks.jpg

2013 Shaobu.jpg

• Greenie 4