Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2016 ...spacer.png

... we had been in drydock to have the engine-cooling skintank, which was leaking into the boat from an inaccessible position, sealed-off and its cooling function replaced by this external trombone arrangement. It's turned out to be good at cooling, and hasn't been wrenched off and sunk the boat (yet). Reassuring that it's not just our boatyard fitting such things, then.

When we owned the Tadworth the air cooled PD2 broke it’s crankshaft and it was replaced with a water cooled engine. I had an external pipe fixed right round under the swim. Can’t remember the exact year but around 1978. It worked very well and no winter problems. 

I remember being told that craft like this were cobbled together to operate on shallow canals, as the paddle wheel required less draught than a propeller. The K&A in its early restoration days was mentioned, which would explain the boat's name. I recall, during our hiring days in the 1990s, seeing one called Jethro Tull.

24 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2019

spacer.png

Sheffield Basin. Festival organised by C&RT to celebrate 200 years of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. Not Quite a Pyramid Stage

spacer.png

I missed the September event, but did bring the boat along in the cavalcade celebrating the actual 200th anniversary during February of that year. An extraordinarily sunny day for the time of year. some photos here:

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

This day in 2001, and a view of the Fuchs Stollen, or Fox Mine at Walbrzych in Silesia. This had been a navigable level from circa 1810, and was based on Worsley, but subsidence brought the bottom too near the top. This had been levelled out as part of a museum scheme to reopen to navigation.

The second photo is of the segment gate on Rozanka Lock in Wroclaw, on the Oder.

2001 Walbrzych Fuchs Stollen.jpg

2001 Rozanka Lock 161.jpg

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I rspacer.pngemember being told that craft like {Savernake] were cobbled together to operate on shallow canals, as the paddle wheel required less draught than a propeller. The K&A in its early restoration days was mentioned, which would explain the boat's name. I recall, during our hiring days in the 1990s, seeing one called Jethro Tull.

On 01/09/2020 at 09:02, PeterScott said:

L1237_20060831_0024a.jpg.8d07aaf770ca440de30daa9c3f5f4abf.jpg

JethroTull Paddlwheel -

Thames on [31 August] 2006

On 30/01/2016 at 18:55, mykaskin said:

Thought some might be interested in this old video I recently put up on youtube of a Paddlewheel narrowboat leaving Denham Deep Lock. It's normally moored just above Uxbridge Lock - first time I've seen this one moving, but of course seen Jethro Tull many a time splashing along.

Edited by PeterScott
  • Greenie 1

Today in 2015 we had a break from canals and went to see the fall in New England Had a trip round Boston harbour and saw the monument to the battle of Bunkers Hill. We live on a lane called Bunkers Hill and our hill is steeper than theirs and I have to walk up it every day with the dog.

45A89460-57D8-4D6C-BAB2-133C941B63F4.jpeg

F595E334-F0A8-43FA-B256-422808731D45.jpeg

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2019

spacer.png

Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. Commissioned by C&RT ..

spacer.png

...and there was more than one artist in the team ...

spacer.png... who waved enthusiastically to the passing tripboat.

The festival was based around Sheffield Basin for the 200th anniversary of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal, and the C&RT project manager, aboard the tripboat, was enthusiastic about the project. I don't think I had an answer to the question of future maintenance if it was scribbled-over by graffiti, nor whether it normalises other less-planned graffiti along the canal corridor.

On this day in 2018

spacer.png

Work boat in Atherstone Flight Coventry C

spacer.pngAnd a sign on the locks.

There is the normal problem of the notice not having a date on it, so it could have been there for years after the problem was solved, and there was nobody to ask which criminal offence it would be to remove an out-of date notice.

3 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2018

spacer.png

Work boat in Atherstone Flight Coventry C

spacer.pngAnd a sign on the locks.

There is the normal problem of the notice not having a date on it, so it could have been there for years after the problem was solved, and there was nobody to ask which criminal offence it would be to remove an out-of date notice.

Shame that notice isn't still there, we had several locks recently on Atherstone where the boat coming down hadn't fully closed the bottom paddles, only winding then until they got stiff but still needing a couple of turns to fully close.

And In The Morning ... on This Day 2012

spacer.pngEarlier in the year, the newly BigSociety-d British Waterways had become the Canal and River Trust, which had adapted the older ICBM logo into a new one with a swan. Hence this morning lying on the towingpath with a camera waiting for the light and this creature to swim into a good position. This was the best attempt.

Edited by PeterScott
spelling

50 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Hence this morning lying on the towingpath with a camera waiting for the light and this creature to swim into a good position. This was the best attempt.

You could go and do the same with a sinking tyre now...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2010

L1686_20100921_0421a.jpg.b9d696e12f1a15ed1808a9de4aa66e2c.jpg

Middlewich Arm T&M (behind King's Lock Chandlery)

Was that ever part of the Middlewich Arm? As far as I can see it is the arm off the T&M that was once a little longer and looks as if it served a former salt works.

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Was that ever part of the Middlewich Arm? As far as I can see it is the arm off the T&M that was once a little longer and looks as if it served a former salt works.

Methinks you are trying to confuse matters. The photo does indeed show an arm off the T&M, as Peter says. It is more or less opposite the Wardle Canal, another branch of the T&M, claimed to be Britain's shortest canal, which has one lock and an end-on junction with the Shropshire Union Canal's Middlewich Branch.