Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

This day 2007 at Verdun Sur Doubs where the Doubs meets the Saone. This coaster has just loaded at the grain silos just up stream and is on its way to the med. there are 2 of these that we saw regularly on the Saone. The other one is loading at St Jean de Losne the upper limit of the deep channel

F75243AB-25C8-4102-A93E-D39F95C13698.jpeg

6C336900-2066-4419-A7B5-F1526919F623.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 1

In 2006 we were on our way back to our winter mooring near Antwerp . In the French Ardennes. To work the locks you have a little zapper which you Pont at a box about 200m from the lock. In the lock you push the blue rod to work it and the red rod if something goes wrong.

7F6EDC67-8893-4953-8A25-178943BC349C.jpeg

1136C392-8BE2-4CB7-8838-5917D7EE3EA3.jpeg

On 11/09/2020 at 12:10, Dav and Pen said:

This is the sunken barge in post#3328. Now ashore at Beez near Namur. It’s just possible to see where it buckled.

97D27BDD-E212-4832-8C72-EF1413BD2E74.jpeg

An intriguing situation this. Did the accident occur because of the condition of the barge? Or was she being loaded incorrectly? Tipping stone into such a lengthy vessel, too much of it at one particular point, could be asking for trouble. A case, maybe, for using shorter vessels.

43 minutes ago, John Liley said:

An intriguing situation this. Did the accident occur because of the condition of the barge? Or was she being loaded incorrectly? Tipping stone into such a lengthy vessel, too much of it at one particular point, could be asking for trouble. A case, maybe, for using shorter vessels.

The way they load is as shown in my photo below. There needs to be good coordination between the barge and the trucks maybe the last 25 tonnes falling into this part of the barge was to much as it appeared to be already well loaded. I doubt we will ever know.

4E91A226-7148-4811-8399-05C1638A518C.jpeg

This evening in 2007 we stopped in this old lock at Gigny near Tournus on the Saone the old lock house is a restaurant. The lock was bypassed when the river was re modeled for the big barges and just downstream is the new Ormes lock. Normally there is a small difference in level and in times of high level it is normal for barges to pass over the weir.

92E122FF-DE9F-41E0-8EFB-9C2D581E6779.jpeg

17 hours ago, John Liley said:

I think its the one particular point that could be the problem, I have seen a photo somewhere of a commercial with the bow and the stern pretty much pointing skywards and the middle with I think, a coil of steel sat on the bottom, wish I could find it.