Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

That is good news. There's an operational narrow-gauge one on the Festiniog/ Welsh Highland, but I think that's currently the only working Garratt in the country. I assume there are still a few chugging about in Africa.

There are six on the Welsh Highland Railway - repatriated from all over the world, I believe.

7 minutes ago, Chris G said:

There are six on the Welsh Highland Railway - repatriated from all over the world, I believe.

Blimey!

When, during my student vacations, I used to work on the Fester (1969-70) there was one at Boston Lodge works - it was, I think, the first ever built, and had been donated to the railway. But it was too big to fit the loading gauge and it rarely, if ever, left the works. Evidently the WHR has a more generous loading gauge.

These photos from yesterday. About 10 days ago this barge sunk whilst being loaded with stone on the Meuse in Belgium. From the initial photos it looked as if it had split and these show that that’s what happened. Very sad for the owner and the insurance company won’t be very happy either.

EE24FF3D-F322-46DF-ABC0-3DAC97EEA3F8.jpeg

7C486E8F-9074-4B5A-8B68-32F39E1C8209.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Chris G said:

Built for Baddesley Colliery at Atherstone.  Is at Bresingham, https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/beyer-peacock-company-works-no-6841-william-francis-0-4-00-4-0t/ .  Restoration is in the offing.

Somehow, this picture of the loco in (no doubt authentic) orangy brown livery

6841-william-francis-in-the-bressingham-

doesn't have the same appeal as the gritty black and white image of the same loco in its everyday grime at work

8231270986_83a17cf46d_z.jpg

Edited by David Mack

I know what you mean: I thought the same about the ex- Great Central O4 freight engines which I used to see around Sheffield when I was a boy. They looked much weightier and more butch when they had a good coat of grime, which was usually.

Today 2013. The summit lock and the automated locks canal du Centre. This side of the canal was modernized in the 50s to 60s by replacing 2 locks with one 5plus meter deep lock to speed up the passage of the peniche’s down to the Saone. At the junction with the river a new canal was dug and a 15m deep lock bypassing the route down through Chalon sur Saone.

C412B891-77DC-45B0-B2E6-C711085F6882.jpeg

C64C39E9-23DA-46B1-953C-B76C6B37C1C6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Blimey!

When, during my student vacations, I used to work on the Fester (1969-70) there was one at Boston Lodge works - it was, I think, the first ever built, and had been donated to the railway. But it was too big to fit the loading gauge and it rarely, if ever, left the works. Evidently the WHR has a more generous loading gauge.

This beastie:

300px-WHR_Garratt_K1_at_Snowdon_Ranger.j

A few years ago I tied t'boat up near the Dog & Doublet on the B&F and yomped over the motorway to Kingsbury Water Park to visit this place Echills Wood Railway.

A 7.25" gauge version was operating.

Great fun!

The railway is well worth a visit. When it became obvious I was an enthusiast, as opposed to a member of the general public, I was made most welcome by the staff there.

As with everywhere else they have been bowled out by Covid-19 business this year.

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

This beastie:

300px-WHR_Garratt_K1_at_Snowdon_Ranger.j

A few years ago I tied t'boat up near the Dog & Doublet on the B&F and yomped over the motorway to Kingsbury Water Park to visit this place Echills Wood Railway.

A 7.25" gauge version was operating.

Great fun!

The railway is well worth a visit. When it became obvious I was an enthusiast, as opposed to a member of the general public, I was made most welcome by the staff there.

As with everywhere else they have been bowled out by Covid-19 business this year.

There is a Garratt much closer to Atherstone than the Welsh Highland. There is one at Statfold Barn Railway which is about 30mins walk from Alvecote. I had the pleasure of seeing in steam a few weeks ago and being hauled by it. It is ex Tasmainian Railways and is the first Garratt built by Beyer- Peacock.

IMG_8435.JPG

IMG_8437.JPG

IMG_8438.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

• Greenie 3

It's the same one.

From Wikipedia: 'Not suited to WHR operational needs' and 'Moved to Statfold Barn for boiler work'.

I seem to remember that the K1 was not the success it was hoped for. It is a compound loco and there were problems with steam condensing in the pipe connecting the HP and LP cylinders.

I don't think any compound Garretts were built subsequently.

Edited by Victor Vectis

22 hours ago, Chris G said:

There is one class 15 ex Rhodesia, in NZ,  at Mainline Steam just north of Wellington,  awaiting it's boiler to be rebuilt and recertified before being let loose on excursions.

It was stored for for some months about 8 years ago. in the Auckland Port transfer yard after shipment from South Africa.

• Greenie 1