Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

The Netherlands remembered still: en route to Dordrecht, and the basin there, where Arthur, then Secunda, stayed many times. There always seemed to be room for one more, however crowded it looked - though now, I believe, it is for historic vessels only.

PICT0180.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, John Liley said:

The Netherlands remembered still: en route to Dordrecht, and the basin there, where Arthur, then Secunda, stayed many times. There always seemed to be room for one more, however crowded it looked - though now, I believe, it is for historic vessels only.

PICT0180.jpg

PICT0217.jpg

It’s now one of a number of harbours reserved for historic boats but it’s the one with the best carillon from the tower visible in the background.

17 hours ago, PeterScott said:

L2515_20160819-P8192546.JPG.a59cb9bc701cf863e6ca9cf212ff62eb.JPG

On this day in 2016, mural on refurbished building, Farmers Bridge Bottom Lock Compare #1504 (2014)

and at the top of the flight a sign explaining locks :

L2515_20160819-P8192575.JPG.617d7bbeac99463a92429f87a3650701.JPG

Where it says "The Farmers Bridge Locks work in the same way but are relatively uncommon in only having single gates at both ends. They are slightly longer to accommodate the wider swing of the single gate." we might add that most boats that use them are wider than the three-foot-six illustrated.

Mitre gates were actually first used on the Canal de Bereguardo, near Milan, some forty years before Leonardo built his in the 1490s.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

What has caused the site to deteriorate so dramatically? Vandalism?

If it is anything like the one at Smethwick, possibly.

It was completely rebuilt and refurbished then vandalised by the local scrotes.

Not sure of its current state.

1200px-Octagonal_BCN_canal_Toll_house_at_Smethwick_top_lock.jpg

31406830134_aecf9a2dbc_z.jpg

Edited by Ray T

9 hours ago, Athy said:

What has caused the site to deteriorate so dramatically? Vandalism?

The tollhouses were all demolished by BW when the need for them had passed - 1960s I guess. The vegetation has grown up more recently as the air and water are a lot less polluted than they once were, and stuff now grows.

When I first started walking and boating the BCN in 1973 all the ocatgonal tollhouses on the main line had gone, but there was one remaining on the Dudley Canal at Tipton. That was dismantled with the intention of re-erecting it at the Black Country Museum, but I'm not sure it ever happened. Does anyone know?  You could still see the outline of it on the ground at the original location last time I was there.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2010

L1679_20100821_0042.JPG.a6ef1fc3279be326fa58299350bbc57f.JPG

Hovercraft. Ryde to Portsmouth

Are those still running?

I must have taken the hovercraft across the channel dozens of times, dating back to when there were two competing companies, Seaspeed and Hoverlloyd. I never really knew why the service ceased to run.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are those still running?

I must have taken the hovercraft across the channel dozens of times, dating back to when there were two competing companies, Seaspeed and Hoverlloyd. I never really knew why the service ceased to run.

Cost possibly. The Isle of widget route still thrives.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Cost possibly. The Isle of widget route still thrives.

Goldarn you, you've got that old advert for some sort of tinned beer running through my head now! "It's got a widget, a widget it has got...."

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Are those still running?

The service, yes but not with the hovercraft in the pic.

They were replaced a while back by a pair new, smaller craft.

The sound of the hovercraft is one of the signature sounds of the beach here in Ryde, together with the sound made by the trains running along the pier.

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2010

L1676_20100821_0060.JPG.60d7966fcde6000c6b31b00df9524b90.JPG

Another route to Cowes

Oooooh. Another IoW reference!

Little Else, of this parish, is using Fred Runnel every other day at pres taking Covid-19 sample swabs across to Southampton.

• Greenie 1