Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1984L05339s.jpg.9ee70b94e303143fa9f991bfe67c6127.jpg

Wyre Lady above Keadby Lock S&SYN and in Goole Docks

L05383s.jpg.96f49b20e92d3342c3bdaa5f0635e147.jpg

Passed her last month looking worse for wear due to an arson attack, hopefully she will be back to her former self one day.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Passed [Wyre Lady] last month looking worse for wear due to an arson attack, hopefully she will be back to her former self one day.

spacer.pngThis is very sad.

BBC account here

Moneyraising appeal here

Edited by PeterScott

On this day in 2018

L2795_20180812_0151.JPG.fbc036868e517e83a27361533e426b27.JPG

River Severn on a high Spring Tide heading downriver from Upper Lode to Gloucester. This part of the river is tidal only on Spring Tides

L2795_20180812_0165a.jpg.7e06e40658823a906b8dd3d8fc378b5c.jpgThe tide was ebbing at about three to five knots, You know that at Upper Parting it is a Good Plan to take the channel to the lock, rather than the one to the weir. This sign appears in the distance, and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to decide what to do next. It's a motorway-style sign and on a motorway it clearly means that three miles hence, bear to the left. And there will surely be another sign in another mile  ...

As you pass the sign, your crew points out that it's not a motorway, the sign was after the junction where you should have turned, rather than before it, that the three miles is the distance to Gloucester Lock, and you are now heading towards a weir 400yards away at four (maybe only three) yards per second. Evaluate the relative advantages of reverse gear , the anchor, steering for the trees, trying to turn around, putting on the kettle for tea ...

Fortunately for this trip we remembered the problem of the sign from earlier non-tidal trips and the rain even stopped for the lock.

L2795_20180812_0181s.jpg.43ddfbcedd6937c53e0fad20d512840c.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
Googlelink to map showing weir

This is the Secunda when I bought her in 1975, and this was our first trip. an experimental one into the Ijsselmeer from Stavoren in Friesland. She was 30 metres by five, with a 6-cylinder Gardner engine and I got her, initially, for the present-day equivalent of £45,000.  Bank of England permission was needed to transfer the money at the time and the BoE office, which strangely was in Scotland, took so long over the process, that with the shift in currencies at that time, the sum rose to a present-day £55,00, which was all that I had. I still havn't forgiven them.

We had 35 tonnes of gravel put aboard, to help on the forthcoming crossing to Maldon in Essex, but had a good time roaming Friesland before taking the journey fown to Calais.  The big roofs of Friesian farmhouses, cover accommodation for the owners and their livestock a well - a traditional thing in an area I had grown to love.

PICT0407.jpg

PICT0171.jpg

• Greenie 2

St Mammes today 2005 on the upper Seine. It’s a small town where many retired boatmen live, I’m not sure what was being celebrated but believe it was a Pardon where the boats are blessed by the priest and a good time is had by all.

7B182A05-9293-4C54-A612-33662FE7295C.jpeg

• Greenie 3