Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Just now, George and Dragon said:

If I was a betting man I say that steelwork is there to stop the lock collapsing.

Though it could just be a pergola :)

It's to bang your head on when stood on the roof whilst boat is rising, seen it happen to s few people.

• Horror 1

13 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

If I was a betting man I'd say that steelwork is there to stop the lock collapsing. Though it could just be a pergola :)

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It's to bang your head on when stood on the roof whilst boat is rising, seen it happen to s few people.

L1895_20120802_0010.JPG.1af16443c1a2a0de9c7ba9d2b5f939f2.JPG

Apocryphally (?) described by a lady councillor as "Mr Hutchings' monstrous erection in the park." the official line is that its depth and the unstable nature of the ground (silt pit) made it the most difficult of the Upper Avon loks to build, which accounts for the unusual girders used to stabilise the structure. So yes, to stop it collapsing.

Today 2020. Useful information and advice on a noticeboard by a lock ...DSCN3443a.jpg.02d7e9ac9db148353129377b8b769d79.jpg

... by Sutton Stop Lock at Hawkesbury Junction, as it happens.

DSCN3453s.jpg.5b0df1aee4c8308623e1072f26add9ba.jpg

It is of course a narrow lock, so sharing it with another boat (for us anyway) means waiting the half-hour for a boat-less-than-ten-foot to arrive. And when it gets here, the watersaving is about 24 metres (length) by two point one (width)  by (about) zero point one metres (depth). To a quick approximation, that's around five cubic metres (or five thousand litres),and the sign says that saves a thousand bathsl of water. Each bathful is therefore five litres (or one gallon in old money). Small baths in this part of the world. Tempting (but resisted) to ring them to discuss Rugby's size-of-bath ...

On 02/08/2020 at 18:31, PeterScott said:

On this day 2018L2792_20180802_0219s.jpg.c1ed31e4b97f3694329150d6aa6e3558.jpg

River Tyne. Central Newcastle's seven bridges

Thats a very well taken photo.

I swore I only could see six but then clocked a glimpse of the 'blinking eye'.