Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

I took this picture half a century ago on one of several forays through London's waterways. Beneath the herbage lies a one-time connection between the Limehouse Cut and the Thames.

Wikipedia's item on the Limehouse Cut - a splendid presentation, full of surprising information - says there is still a shallow pool there now.

PICT0502.jpg

Edited by buccaneer66
Linked Wiki article
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

And here you can just see Lincoln Cathedral, some 35 miles away.  We were only two thirds of the way up the Stump, of course! The top section is not open to the public.

dscf6112_linc1.jpg

35 miles? As the crow flies? Nottingham and Doncaster are both about 30 miles.

For reference I have seen both York Minster and the White Horse at Sutton Bank from Queensbury which, if memory serves, is 200 metres above sea level. Queensbury to York is about 35 miles.

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

35 miles? As the crow flies? Nottingham and Doncaster are both about 30 miles.

For reference I have seen both York Minster and the White Horse at Sutton Bank from Queensbury which, if memory serves, is 200 metres above sea level. Queensbury to York is about 35 miles.

51km by water, according to CRT (32 miles - I must have got my sums wrong), but surprisingly (given how straight the Witham is!) only 27.6 miles as the crow flies. I will update my blog...

16 hours ago, John Liley said:

PICT0502.jpg

I took this picture half a century ago on one of several forays through London's waterways. Beneath the herbage lies a one-time connection between the Limehouse Cut and the Thames.

Wikipedia's item on the Limehouse Cut - a splendid presentation, full of surprising information - says there is still a shallow pool there now.

By 1979, looking from the bridge, it was even more down-at-heel. As JohnL says, the Wikipedia article here is extraordinary in its detail.L02079s.jpg.08426f51f41015aafd4dd7e3b102d0dc.jpg

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

By 1979, looking from the bridge, it was even more down-at-heel. As JohnL says, the Wikipedia article here is extraordinary in its detail.L02079s.jpg.08426f51f41015aafd4dd7e3b102d0dc.jpg

HeHe - you should see it now; like much of London it's go awfully grand.....

image.png.37b2780d15cacd7a0cae78e778067553.png

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2005

L1128_20050716_0013s.jpg.ac84d2e6960fba9c2e84ea487308262e.jpg

Falkirk Wheel

L1128_20050716_0136.JPG.3f3a558876c098361075eaa4b024d1d1.JPGAscending the lock from the hireboat's moorings.

There are few hireboat trips in my photo-archive at this part of the year. The canals are crowded and the hire costs are high. This trip had been delayed by a few weeks. We had been at home in Sheffield on Friday evening, packing for an early start the next morning for the drive to Scotland. ...

"Ring Ring" ... "It's Hamish here, about your canalboat trip tomorrow. Unfortunately the boat you have booked was sunk this afternoon ..."

A weedhatch had not been replaced, and was recovered next to its correct position over the prop. The hirers denied know why it was there or having been told about weedhatches in their briefing. It had been the Wheel's Controlbox which noticed a boat low-in-the-water and alerted those aboard to leave. There were no injuries.

All the different hire company brands subcontract their operations to (in those days) CaperCaille Cruisers, so Hamish knew there were no other boats available. Hence starting this day.L1128_20050716_0212s.jpg.574b8d2f95a261ff55fc6e73154517fe.jpg

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2015

L2349_20150716_0004s.jpg.0281c6d4da6bd822cb46acf057ddf2a4.jpg

Knight's Way Bridge Leeds A&C

spacer.pngHere is a challenge for all Navigation Authorities, who are in charge of,  pedestrian bridges over their waterways which have wires as part of their parapets. The Navigation authority has to decide whether to cut off these padlocks ...

In the picture alongside, a wedding couple have visited the bridge on their way from ceremony to reception, to (I guess) express their commitment to one another by fixing a padlock to the wire and ceremonially casting the key into the waterway.

[In the picture this is a bridge on the Coronation Channel off the River Welland in Spalding]

Then some of their friends do the same ...PB092774s.jpg.c71b3ee2e537753fb56caa4e41a25a72.jpg

The Nice Mr Google knows where it is. It is not unique

On this day in 2015

L2348_20150716_0033s.jpg.24f90f7fb3ef0001dc26f69c04882c33.jpg

Elvington Lock (Yorkshire) River Derwent. Now closed for six years, and a classic case of little use leading to extended or permanent closure. The cruiser waiting (a long time) to use the lock is headed for its permanent mooring above the lock.

L2348_20150716_0017s.jpg.94f4cfe94ad500288d995385c9d37b6f.jpg

23 hours ago, John Liley said:

Wikipedia is very detailed.  But it doesn't say why the first link between Limehouse Cut and Regent's Canal Dock was filled-in, when the river lock serving the Cut was reinstated.  Surely it would have been useful to unload the coasters in the basin before taking timber up the Lee.

I seem to recall being told the the short link leaked - but is that correct?

L1338_20070716_0001.JPG.0332db6c29b856de7743ca48d6759ba5.JPGOn this day in 2007 (... from #2268)

Ickles Lock landing S&SYN where the boat had been since the Sheffield Flood three weeks before. BW had mentioned a difficulty of a blockage below Rotherham, and we had driven to various location to find it, but with no success. BW were not enthusiastic about having daily calls for the latest position from us and our co-owners. Customer Services were pleased to read out the stoppage notice, and occasional estimates of necessary repair activity ranged from two to twelve weeks. LG who had recently joined BW as a project manager after a career in the police force, and who had not encountered canals before taking the job, was co-ordinating the work. He had rewritten the risk assessment for Jordan's Weir, to account for the floating barrier having become disconnected: it now says "take a lot of care passing this weir", and we reassured him how useful a contribution this had been. We had filled the jerrycan from a local red-diesel supplier, and filled in all the forms: this was legal at the time, but no longer is. Our co-owners had a couple of nights on the boat, but with no useful information from BW, returned home.

Edited by PeterScott
unmerge a merge