Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

My brother was a civil engineering student and worked on site on Glasgow's Red Road flats, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Road_Flats

I hadn't heard of those but they are a good example.

When I was growing up in Sheffield the Park Flats behind the Midland Station were the city's pride and joy, the largest housing complex in the country at that time, but they weren't as tall. From memory they varied from 5 to 13 storeys.

The blocks have had contrasting fortunes. I see that the Glasgow ones have been demolished, whereas the Sheffield ones have become Grade 2 listed.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

I hadn't heard of those but they are a good example.

When I was growing up in Sheffield the Park Flats behind the Midland Station were the city's pride and joy, the largest housing complex in the country at that time, but they weren't as tall. From memory they varied from 5 to 13 storeys.

The blocks have had contrasting fortunes. I see that the Glasgow ones have been demolished, whereas the Sheffield ones have become Grade 2 listed.

The company that’s doing them up Urban Splash have just announced they have got the go ahead to redevelop another section of the original flats. I don’t think they have been a great success with people buying as it was aimed at the yuppie type with prices well above the average. I walk past there with the dog quite often and don’t see much life around there. Maybe it wasn’t the investment everyone was hoping.

• Greenie 1

July 2009, just slightly upstream of Dav and Pen’s Marne photos - at Dizy, where the Lateral Canal goes off towards Reims among other places, and the Marne continues upstream at the top of the second photo to Épernay.

The CEVNI rules which govern navigation on continental waterways allow for an uphill travelling vessel to cross starboard-to-starboard with one travelling downstream under certain circumstances, and it displays a blue board and/or flashing white light if it does so. The lock mechanism here for the lock up onto the canal is on your port side when going upstream, which means you have to cross over to operate it, putting you notionally on the ‘wrong’ side of the river. However the CEVNI rules have a further exception which says a vessel travelling upstream and turning into a side arm of any kind has priority over any craft coming downstream.

Despite these two rules within the CEVNI code I have three times had a cruiser coming down the river from Épernay trying to pass port-to-port here even though I have also made my intentions clear by announcing what I was doing on VHF, and each of these sadly was flying a red ensign.

Tam

1405971061_DizyJuly2009.jpg.37578c1ab1850837d14f19b05487a8c3.jpg

Dizy.02 July 2009.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On this day 2007 we came out of the last lock on the Marne Saone canal into a flood with trees and other rubbish coming down the wier stream. Did 42 Klms and 5locks in 5 hours and found our friends on the Floan stopped at St Jean  de Losne because of the flood. There is a bridge at Pontallier where you have to cross over to the inside arch of the bridge and George didn’t want to get into trouble there due to the strong current. Later 2 other peniche arrived including Safari.

E04B80E3-1E53-4445-AD75-BE2E7B05EE85.jpeg

AD78351C-897D-488F-9A1D-B1A10E79A1EB.jpeg

• Greenie 1

2002. Vishny Volochek, halfway between Moscow and St Petersburg, where the Englishman Captain Perry built the first successful waterway link between the Volga and the Baltic circa 1710. The photo shows the northern end of the canal where it entered the river Tsna.

north end canal:river.jpg

• Greenie 3

Today 2015. Like a lot of upland rivers the upper Saone has big meanders and these have been cut out by a number of what they call derivation. This has shortened the distance of the navigation considerably. All of them are guarded by flood locks.

Some of the backwaters are navigable upstream for considerable distances.

E1F9351A-0725-44C4-B9B8-F6659838B7D0.jpeg

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Today 2015. Like a lot of upland rivers the upper Saone has big meanders and these have been cut out by a number of what they call derivation. This has shortened the distance of the navigation considerably. All of them are guarded by flood locks.

Some of the backwaters are navigable upstream for considerable distances.

E1F9351A-0725-44C4-B9B8-F6659838B7D0.jpeg

It's ironical that the French use the word "dérivations" ( = detours) for the straight bits!

37 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's ironical that the French use the word "dérivations" ( = detours) for the straight bits!

Especially when it is a main road that’s shut and the detour takes you down country lanes to cross roads where there are no signs. How to miss a ferry.

35 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

do you receive a fee for displaying that photo?   :rolleyes:

Sadly not. I'd never heard of the company. Wikipedia says their name is an acronynm of an acronym, which must mean somethinmg. "SDV (SCAC (Société Commerciale d'Affrètement et de Combustibles) Delmas Vieljeux)". Maybe it's a common French idea? And I had the bridge on the wrong canal ?

L2534_20161020_0141.JPG.44848ab138a3463a8dfb8f6766385f92.JPG

Br123 L&L Knotts Bridge

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Today in Stamp End Lock

20200710-103518.jpg

After all this time it must be great for you to have the boat out, and actually boating. Enjoy it.

I am all kitted out and leaving in ten minutes for the yacht race this afternoon, then home here for a lockdown release, and out yachting again barbeque with the crew this evening. 

On this day in 2014

L2185_20140711_P7117365s.jpg.cc2714d8f9a8e809eedfab3d7d8483fe.jpg

Marsden end of Standedge Tunnel HNC

A good rapport with C&RT chaperone is a good plan, particularly with a trad (-ish) steering position - for the next ninety minutes ...

It's slightly different with a semi-trad

L2185_20140711_P7117187s.jpg.4b784ed9fcd5be4eddfdb11095684dce.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
unmerge a merge