Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Hanwell has locks but no junction:...

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Don't forget the junction with the River Brent, just below the bottom lock. Sadly you can't get to the Fox pub by boat...

spacer.png

Lots of good canal pictures on this website of Tring Local History Museum

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

I have tried a few pictures of Three Bridges, and it's hard to show the three transport modes all crossing one another. Have we a drone to hand ??L03434s.jpg.106123abd401eebfe84d8d4ed5ad365f.jpg

@Tim Lewis has the picture from the railway. Mine are from the road in 1980 and 1979 and from an advert for Pickfords

L02091s.jpg.80ea402f42c83fcc586bb8df201d74c0.jpgspacer.png

spacer.png

My favourite

3b.jpg

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

My favourite

3b.jpg

"Comes in four varieties,

sweeter, smoother, richer -

and only one and six,

Lyons

maid

family brick.......

Oh, dear that's the ice cream jingle...

The didn't do one for their tea.

Here's some even more useless information -

Lyons head office and bakery was in Hammersmith next door to the Olympia complex where they installed a very early business computer which they called Leo. It used 'mark sensing' (a very nice chap) to record deliveries and saved having to use Hollerith punched cards to capture the information.

There was an underground tunnel to ferry food next door to the Olympia complex at exhibition and Circus time.

Whe they closed down the Tea Rooms, I bought some tables and chairs for an examination 'crammer' who gave me a free course in return.

The long term Chairman lived in a large house near me and I didn't know him or his connection until well after he died.

None of the above were in anyway connected unbtil I saw the above and thought "Oh, yes..... I was there"

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2017.

The only time our boat has failed to make it home under it's own power. We were left immobile when a relay blew on the Trent which sent the sterndrive to the top beach position and the boat not drive-able.

A cheap fix this time. £2.83 for a new relay from the local motor factors.

19225652_10155366607359763_2136406397755753606_n.jpg

19260744_1537131559672813_4925881514569311112_n.jpg

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

"Comes in four varieties,

sweeter, smoother, richer -

and only one and six,

Lyons

maid

family brick.......

Oh, dear that's the ice cream jingle...

The didn't do one for their tea.

Here's some even more useless information -

Lyons head office and bakery was in Hammersmith next door to the Olympia complex where they installed a very early business computer which they called Leo. It used 'mark sensing' (a very nice chap) to record deliveries and saved having to use Hollerith punched cards to capture the information.

There was an underground tunnel to ferry food next door to the Olympia complex at exhibition and Circus time.

Whe they closed down the Tea Rooms, I bought some tables and chairs for an examination 'crammer' who gave me a free course in return.

The long term Chairman lived in a large house near me and I didn't know him or his connection until well after he died.

None of the above were in anyway connected unbtil I saw the above and thought "Oh, yes..... I was there"

In 1960's, Leo merged with English Electric, who built computers fora  scientific/engineering market. The two activities were very different and the relationship between staff from the two merged companies could sometimes be, shall we say, a tad frosty! After further mergers and re-naming they all became ICL and then bought by Fujitsu.

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

In 1960's, Leo merged with English Electric, who built computers fora  scientific/engineering market. The two activities were very different and the relationship between staff from the two merged companies could sometimes be, shall we say, a tad frosty! After further mergers and re-naming they all became ICL and then bought by Fujitsu.

Thanks for that!

Leo was clearly a business machine  and inpressive becaus Lyons built it for hat they wanted. After the free icecream and cakes life moved on and it wasnot until ICL was formed and opened offices on Putney Bridge that I took an interest and asked to see a machine in action. Being a school boy, I was not greeted with enthusiasm and was sent on my way. I do remember seing an impressive sculpture created by one Jose Alberdi who lived and built the monster just 4 doors down from where we lived. I think it's still on the building that was ICL's office.

5 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Thanks for that!

Leo was clearly a business machine  and inpressive becaus Lyons built it for hat they wanted. After the free icecream and cakes life moved on and it wasnot until ICL was formed and opened offices on Putney Bridge that I took an interest and asked to see a machine in action. Being a school boy, I was not greeted with enthusiasm and was sent on my way. I do remember seing an impressive sculpture created by one Jose Alberdi who lived and built the monster just 4 doors down from where we lived. I think it's still on the building that was ICL's office.

I've got a rather interesting book on the history of LEO, which covers much of the above. A lot of lessons still very relevant today, although the change in the relative price of labour, and of computing storage and processing power, means that the section on how much effort was spent on producing ultra-efficient code is no longer as topical.  

And that in turn reminds me that a lot of fascinating material is now available on the computer in the Apollo spacecraft. 

On this day 2018 - Bidford on Avon. We moored by the recreation ground and spent a pleasant evening over a bottle of wine with couple off the boat moored next to us.

366639715_IMG_3420lr.jpg.88a05d9eb089714d877b69d5038abe1e.jpg

IMG_3419.JPG

Edited by Richard T

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I've got a rather interesting book on the history of LEO, which covers much of the above. A lot of lessons still very relevant today, although the change in the relative price of labour, and of computing storage and processing power, means that the section on how much effort was spent on producing ultra-efficient code is no longer as topical.  

And that in turn reminds me that a lot of fascinating material is now available on the computer in the Apollo spacecraft. 

And:

Thanks for that!

I had just the opposite experience: In my first year of the sixth form I went on a one week course at EE Stafford for those considering becoming an Electrical Engineer, via their 1-3-1 scheme. It worked insofar as it told me that I did not want not be and electrical engineer (certainly not a high voltage switching gear one) but we did go for half a day to Kidsgrove where we were introduced to the computer work they did there. 

At the final session of the week there was a Q&A with company chiefs and I (cheekily) asked if they did 1-3-1's for computer programmers (even that now dated term was very new then). The panel looked a bit non-plussed as they had not anticipated that question and said gently, metaphorically patting me on the head, "Wrote to us a bit nearer the time"

For various complicated reasons I did not get the university place I was being pushed into not did I really want to stay on (as expected by school) for a third year sixth - it was common back then and so I wrote to Kidsgrove. The reply said that they had not developed such a scheme but offered me a one year student apprenticeship which came with accommodation in the apprentices hostel in Alsager.

I had a fantastic experience, being on the last DEUCE programming course and then working on software for the prototype KDF9. 

A later consequence was that my section leader later moved to Loughborough University and wrote to me out of the blue when I was nearing the end of my degree course, offering me a PhD studentship - which came with a grant back then.

I could go on for ever  but will soon bore all those coming here for a Tonic!

8 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

3b.jpgMy favourite [picture of Three Bridges at Hanwell]

8 hours ago, OldGoat said:

...Lyons head office and bakery was in Hammersmith next door to the Olympia complex where they installed a very early business computer which they called Leo.

All unrelated to this day in 2007:

L1327_20070619_0471s.jpg.bdb4b70c9e264892ff4a9bca32903843.jpg

Skipton Junction  L&L

With no dry-dock for many miles, the slip at Auxerre proved useful once in fixing a cooling system leak. We hauled Secunda up as much as we dared.

The slip itself was installed by the German occupation forces in 1943, when a fleet of armed vessels was brought up the Yonne,  They were then hauled out here to be taken across Burgundy by road - the Canal de Bourgogne being insuffiently large for the job. 

To achieve this 1,500 forced labourers demolished houses along the way and regraded the roads. Special trailers were used, with three tractor lories pulling, and four more behind, primarily for braking on the hills. Those taking these pictures risked their lives, yet none of the craft ever made it. The entire fleet, said to be over 50 craft, was destroyed by Allied aircraft farther south.

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 22.04.37.png

Bonel etc 5.jpg

Bonel etc 4.jpg

• Greenie 2