Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2019

P6098480s.JPG.71627c59a21190dd7163723e1b769264.JPG

Cross Keys Penkridge S+W

CrossKeysS.jpg.00168b4c2166c759189364cbb52de98a.jpgand from image 126 of this book (as below)

Haven't some pubs been prettified over the years? This one looks, apart from its awnings, more "olde worlde" than it did in the reale olde worlde.

I didn't know that Mitchell's & Butler's still existed. I'm guessing that the pub is somewhere in the West Midlands.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Haven't some pubs been prettified over the years? This one looks, apart from its awnings, more "olde worlde" than it did in the reale olde worlde.

I didn't know that Mitchell's & Butler's still existed. I'm guessing that the pub is somewhere in the West Midlands.

M&B no longer brew - for which we can all be thankful - but they retain a large estate and some of their brands are well known such as Harvester and Browns restaurants.

Their HQ is alongside the Farmers Bridge flight.

JP

12 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

M&B no longer brew - for which we can all be thankful

Oh I dunno... Brew XI was a good session beer, not too strong but with enough taste to put off the lager boys ;)

On this day in 2018

35144030-1901565263229439-14534340570010

Sydney very quickly learned that the "grass" on the inside of the pontoon was in fact water and weeds!

35052208-1901566976562601-30719803663958

After a quick rinse off he was off playing again.

34855914-1901567176562581-61094888270578

And it was this day that we discovered he is quite proficient at catching small furry things :unsure:

34907731-1901568676562431-86861026034293

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

...a good session beer, not too strong but with enough taste to put off the lager boys

On this day in 1988

L06959s.jpg.e74bdfcda083e89825cd4e45971dad1c.jpg

Talking of beer, it must have been said beer that caused the camera's date-scribbling-function to be on.

Even more fun is the headline: "Sex row stumps captain Gatting" See here and here and here

L06977a.jpg.298a119afb363caa401967e0ee3ff478.jpg

We seem to be mostly on t'spirits in t'pub later that evening ...

Edited by PeterScott
more-beer pic

7 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

L06959s.jpg.e74bdfcda083e89825cd4e45971dad1c.jpg

Talking of beer: on this day in 1988. It must have been said beer that caused the camera's date-scribbling-function to be on.

Even more fun is the headline: "Sex row stumps captain Gatting" See here and here and here

An epoch-making headline. It may mark the only occasion on which Gatting showed an interest in anything apart from cricket and food.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

M&B no longer brew - for which we can all be thankful - but they retain a large estate and some of their brands are well known such as Harvester and Browns restaurants.

Their HQ is alongside the Farmers Bridge flight.

JP

My beer drinking days started with M&B mild in the social club at Alvechurch which is now The Weighbridge Inn.

13 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2011

L1761_20110609_0067.JPG.cc7e4bac24fd67f547c162382c953d2d.JPG

Stone botton lock T&M

One of those signs that hasn't worked out that the context changes with the operation of the gate

I often smile at the signs that instruct boaters to keep forward of the cill marker - only true when descending (which is the context which the sign writer no doubt had in mind) but could cause an inexperienced boater to lack attention when rising as they keep their boat forward of the marker (which I generally do anyway) and catch under the gate of hand rail and lift the gate out of its bearing! 

Just now, Rob-M said:

My beer drinking days started with M&B mild in the social club at Alvechurch which is now The Weighbridge Inn.

You can still get M&B mild (at least by name) down the road at the Crown if you wish. I’ll stay at the Weighbridge if you don’t mind.

13 hours ago, John Liley said:

Our 5-yearly visit for survey at a shipyard in Paris lasted 2 months longer than it should, thanks to lockdown.

Being in self-isolation myself, other family members brought the boat back to Auxerre, braving the various challenges the River Yonne provides, primarily the the eddy at many of the lock entrances. I sent a Google Maps adaptation to illustrate.

Often, but not always, the weir stream generates this thing, which drags a barge forward at speed, then takes her to one side. The trick is to go in at speed, but if  there are other vessels  already inside you have to be good at stopping as well. Accuracy can be difficult.

Anyway they made it, so heartfelt thanks were due. They just have two weeks quarantine to get though back in Blighty now.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 20.28.12.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 20.23.50.png

Just like Knowle Locks . . . (and why do I know?)

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I often smile at the signs that instruct boaters to keep forward of the cill marker - only true when descending (which is the context which the sign writer no doubt had in mind) but could cause an inexperienced boater to lack attention when rising as they keep their boat forward of the marker (which I generally do anyway) and catch under the gate of hand rail and lift the gate out of its bearing! 

I have always said that, if you look back at the notice you would be aware of the cill markings. Most novice boaters are looking at their crew working the gate in front of them

4 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I went past there the other day-was hammering it down so no photo -but they were all wearing masks ?

Is the one at top right about to make a rude gesture at passing boaters, or has someone nicked her fag?