Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2014

L2178_20140608_0052a.jpg.05945820101e3b6fa16cbe573b799bfa.jpg

Bridge 78aaa Botany Bay L&L

L2178_20140608_0047s.JPG.2d221d91c5ff684c03bb7ae05c97beb6.JPGIt's an innocent looking motorway bridge, and I wonder why it acquired so bizarre a number.

Entirely speculation, but one of the last enthusiasms of BW was to have a number on each bridge - a useful safety issue for those phoning for assistance. Let's guess that the instruction from Head Office allowed little discretion, and at this point there was already a Bridge 78 on one side of the motorway and a railway bridge with the number 78A (from earlier bridge-numbering enthusiasm) on t'other. There is a bridge for each carriageway, so we can guess that whoever filled in the form commissioning the signs had a bit of a chuckle and wrote down 78aa and 78aaa, just to see what happened ...

But who knows, it could be an entirely different scenario...

When new bridges were needed on the Union Canal through Wester Hailes in Edinburgh, they were given numbers with a and aa added

There was towing by tractor for many years until everyone had engines. Odd ones are doted about and this one is at Cosne sur Marne. Nice little village at the junction of the Marne canal and the Marne Aisne canal. We found an individual champagne producer here.

F12B15BE-D331-4669-95BC-7B10D299341B.jpeg

• Greenie 3

58 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

There was towing by tractor for many years until everyone had engines. Odd ones are doted about and this one is at Cosne sur Marne. Nice little village at the junction of the Marne canal and the Marne Aisne canal. We found an individual champagne producer here.

F12B15BE-D331-4669-95BC-7B10D299341B.jpeg

Perhaps more of a "locotracteur" than a tractor?

A dodgy post has been removed following a report by a member, so Matty's and BP's subsequent posts, while blameless in themselves, have also been hidden as they quote from or refer to that removed post.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

A dodgy post has been removed following a report by a member, so Matty's and BP's subsequent posts, while blameless in themselves, have also been hidden as they quote from or refer to that removed post.

Virtual greenie :-)

4 hours ago, haggis said:

When new bridges were needed on the Union Canal through Wester Hailes in Edinburgh, they were given numbers with a and aa added

Yes these seem to be in a sensible sequence

L1128_20050717_0334a.jpg.0614dbd4ebaa0d982eee0ab7b9d4b3d6.jpg

Bridge 5AA Kingsknowe Road Bridge Union Canal Edinburgh.

L1128_20050718_0049a.jpg.5857bf5549f24acfa8a36afb2f88918d.jpg

L1128_20050717_0329a.jpg.b46cde105cfddb079bef637bfb9f07b8.jpgAnd close by is 6A and 6B and 6C, all new bridges.

Nicholsons (out-of-print) book 8 (Scotland) has, in order:

5: Kingsknowe Road Bridge

5aa: Dumbryden Road Bridge

5a: Hailes Bridge

6: Hailesland Park Bridge

6a: Walkers Access Road Bridge

(none? Walker's Footbridge

6b: Clovenstone Road Bridge

(none? Greenways Footbridge

(none? Murrayburn Footbridge

6c: Murrayburn Road Bridge

7: Westerhailes Road Bridge

There are a number of stranger numbering schemes around the system.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
Innocent ) have become smileys, That's fun.

3 minutes ago, John12 said:

CRT service.

Athy doesnt work for CRT, but donates his time to deal with people who are rude or who make allegations.

By all means report your findings to CRT though.

On 0303404040

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

... to CRT though. On 0303404040

Pedantically 03030404040. I'll have to find a pic of one of their signs ...PA238528a.jpg.5c04063c25071b2f68989b734c54887d.jpg

Aha, here's a relatively new type of C&RT sign. The number is in the small print

Edited by PeterScott

13 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

and I don't imagine any great loss to the forum, saw the post, comically stupid but nasty, 

The high point of his brief but spectacular CWDF career was referring to the "Ground Union Canal"; perhaps he knows something about water levels which we don't.

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

The high point of his brief but spectacular CWDF career was referring to the "Ground Union Canal"; perhaps he knows something about water levels which we don't.

I've more chance of getting to Kathmandu, Timbuktu or Xanadu than the normal Grand Union, so nothing to compare with the "Ground Union" other than a trip to Mars. In fact. I've got zero chance of moving far at all this year.

On this day in 2019

P6098480s.JPG.71627c59a21190dd7163723e1b769264.JPG

Cross Keys Penkridge S+W

CrossKeysS.jpg.00168b4c2166c759189364cbb52de98a.jpgand from image 126 of this book (as below)

On 18/05/2020 at 15:09, John Liley said:

ADSC_0509.jpg game-changer in the days when less than a handful knew or cared about waterways was the publication in 1949 of an issue of The Architectural Review. Its cover depicted "Mr Joe Hollinshead, retired boatman who personifies the tough independent spirit which built and runs our canals."

Totally devoted to waterways, it was produced by Eric de Maré after a lengthy tour of the system in a converted pontoon called Pyrrha. Splendidly illustrated with the author's own photographs it enticed many, including my own family, into this alternative world. My brother, 10 years older than myself, aspired to be an architect at that time - hence us getting to see the magazine. It has appeared in book form since as The Canals of England. ...

• Greenie 2

Our 5-yearly visit for survey at a shipyard in Paris lasted 2 months longer than it should, thanks to lockdown.

Being in self-isolation myself, other family members brought the boat back to Auxerre, braving the various challenges the River Yonne provides, primarily the the eddy at many of the lock entrances. I sent a Google Maps adaptation to illustrate.

Often, but not always, the weir stream generates this thing, which drags a barge forward at speed, then takes her to one side. The trick is to go in at speed, but if  there are other vessels  already inside you have to be good at stopping as well. Accuracy can be difficult.

Anyway they made it, so heartfelt thanks were due. They just have two weeks quarantine to get though back in Blighty now.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 20.28.12.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 20.23.50.png

• Greenie 2