Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On 31/05/2020 at 16:21, David Mack said:

...  As I recall we were an hour or so into the following day by the time the BW guys had winched us off, and got us moving again. 

Yes, we had phoned them at about half-past ten in the evening to say we seemed likely to be spending the rest of the night in the middle of their cut, and that we would resume our rocking pushing etc when there was some light in the morning. They thought it better to drive out to us with their winch, which they used after trying pulling a rope for a while (we had already exhausted those possibilities, as well as ourselves in the process). As it happened, the licence we were displaying had decided to run out at 2400 on that day; while none of us worried about the issue, it's more fun to record that, having been pulled off, we were moored by about 2515 on 31May.

In calmer waters, on this day in 2009

L1545_20090601_0090a.jpg.f525a0874a0ed756d36adcb09298daa0.jpg

Curdorth Locks, B&F approaching Dog and Doublet at about midday

20 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Gayton arm end 1971 just before the Northampton rally. 

15776DFD-99AC-42C8-B594-3CB9FE2DDBCB.jpeg

And a similar view of Belfast and an unknown butty making the same turn on some date between nationalisation and April 1959 (when the water cooled National engine was replaced by an air cooled Petter PD2).

654819066_BelfastTurning2.jpg.d78aa60503ebeb26e83b4f990d574cea.jpg

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And a similar view of Belfast and an unknown butty making the same turn on some date between nationalisation and April 1959 (when the water cooled National engine was replaced by an air cooled Petter PD2).

654819066_BelfastTurning2.jpg.d78aa60503ebeb26e83b4f990d574cea.jpg

I bet they don't teach that steering technique on the RYA course.

• Greenie 2

15 hours ago, John Liley said:

Just to put a scale on this, I understand the main islandoccupies around 95 square miles, so the area the map covers is around 10 miles, i would guess. Just as ball-park figure, so to speak.

A little bit less, perhaps seven miles overall, with the navigable section around four miles overall. It took a day to row around the whole navigable system, with stops to inspect various locations. By the 1970s, much of the system was overgrown, and volunteers were responsible for its restoration subsequently, with archaeologists recording the individual canals/channels.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I bet they don't teach that steering technique on the RYA course.

I remember Michael Streat telling me, when he ran the Braunston complex, that he had a plumber working on something beside the main line when the Belfast came chugging by. The man's jaw dropped open, then he declared "Blimey, they cover some distances, don't they ..."

• Greenie 1

L00630s.jpg.0873ff39f4c26f3fc5d00c5194a4c8d5.jpgL00631s.jpg.ffbab63c76335eb60b0721d50b2aa7a6.jpg

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

I do hope it's not the "before" part of a pair of before-and-after pictures.L00150a.jpg.231ab52c756b1210791b5f2279fdd2dc.jpg

Well, it would pair with either of the ones above. Bit of a cheat, though as these are from five years later, that hot summer of 1976, and being in t'cut for a reason that now eludes me. Might even be the same jacket, though.

• Greenie 1

River gala day at Graignemanagh on the R. Barrow Ireland. There are swimming races, games, and a parade of boats as well as a blessing by the priest from the Abbey. We came second out of 2 narrowboats who were there. Great town especially for the bars and music.

A1C71423-51A6-4012-9EE7-C26F37B85FDC.jpeg

2 hours ago, John Liley said:

I remember Michael Streat telling me, when he ran the Braunston complex, that he had a plumber working on something beside the main line when the Belfast came chugging by. The man's jaw dropped open, then he declared "Blimey, they cover some distances, don't they ..."

I've had that comment too.

And when you tell people the boat was built by Harland and Wolff, they all think of the shipyard that launched the Titanic (and, as it happens, HMS Belfast).

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I've had that comment too.

And when you tell people the boat was built by Harland and Wolff, they all think of the shipyard that launched the Titanic (and, as it happens, HMS Belfast).

I am not entirely sure of this, but I have a feeling there was a Harland andWolff connection with the building of over a hundred modern-day narrow boats in China, referred to an an earlier submission.