Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1994

L10254a.jpg.4570f4edc80b94d0e5fa1748e45680ed.jpg

Aston Business Park, B+F, BCN

Crane looks to be in fine fettle (@Dav and Pen)

CRANE might have looked in fine fettle but it has the wrong fleet number. What happened here is that the number 43 was taken from Alan H. Faulkner's booklet FMC, but this was just a sort of index / reference number to put the Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. motors in some kind of chronological order - CRANE being number 43 on this list.

CRANE's fleet number should read 293, and yes I do know nobody really cares :captain:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

CRANE's fleet number should read 293, and yes I do know nobody really cares :captain:

I do. Historical accuracy should always be respected - if it isn't, the wrong info circulates on the internet and after a while everyone believes it.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I do. Historical accuracy should always be respected - if it isn't, the wrong info circulates on the internet and after a while everyone believes it.

It wasn’t me guv, we had sold Crane by then and when we did own her we never put a fleet number on.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

That is an impressive structure. But how does it work? Does that sideways-on pontoon slide down the diagonal slope until it's in the water, then it opens at the end, the incumbent boat comes out and you go in? That differs from other boat lifts I've seen where the boat goes up vertically.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

That is an impressive structure. But how does it work? Does that sideways-on pontoon slide down the diagonal slope until it's in the water, then it opens at the end, the incumbent boat comes out and you go in? That differs from other boat lifts I've seen where the boat goes up vertically.

It's counterbalanced with a weight that weighs the same as the caisson when it's full of water.

And driven by an electric motor.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To add abit.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

It's counterbalanced with a weight that weighs the same as the caisson whn it's full of water.

Or indeed half full of water and half full of barge ;)

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, that's exactly how it works.  It's an inclined plane not a boat lift - even though it lifts and lowers boats.

If you want boat lifts try this one:

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The Arzviller lift is also (in)famous for a rather nasty accident.

https://www.binnenvaartinbeeld.com/GB/calamiteit_scheepslift_arzviller

It was built, I understand, in part as an experiment, as were the lifts at Montech on the Garonne, and Beziers on the Midi, as small-scale prototypes for something similar on the projected Rhone-Rhine Canal. The conclusion, in the end, was that locks would be preferred after all. The Rhone-Rhine project was subsequently abandoned, extraordinarily, on environmental grounds.

PICT0328.jpg

Great photo showing the counter balance weights.

Never having boated there I once spent a couple of hours tracing the old route on Google Earth, I think I need to get a life!

Edited by The Happy Nomad

19 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It looks like the Foxton inclined plane used to be. Albeit larger. 

So, boats went up that one sideways too? I was inclined to think otherwise.

31 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Nice tight turn someone is doing into the Ashby.

If you really want to confuse any boat that is following you there, pause in the old stop-lock and insist on mimng everything - gates, paddles, etc - and even back-setting it for them behind you.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Nice tight turn someone is doing into the Ashby.

image.png.ea80195277baf121ef0142dc61860420.png

That brings back several happy memories of turning into, and cruising along, one of my favourite canals. That turn can take two bites, especially for longer boats - but the real killer is the bridge which is just about out of shot at the bottom of the picture. It's particularly narrow, is set at a tricky angle and has knobbly bits. I don't think I've ever been through it without a bump.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

That brings back several happy memories of turning into, and cruising along, one of my favourite canals. That turn can take two bites, especially for longer boats - but the real killer is the bridge which is just about out of shot at the bottom of the picture. It's particularly narrow, is set at a tricky angle and has knobbly bits. I don't think I've ever been through it without a bump.

That was the advantage of us only having a 34ft boat. I could do doughnuts in that wide bit while waiting for a boat to exit... :)

The bridge on the Coventry was the one where Jaguar got really stuck. It proved impossible to get her off and eventually bwb came with tirfors (sorry no idea how to spell it) and eventually got her off the obstruction. Turned out to be a safe taken from Bedworth co op which they couldn’t open so over the bridge it went. We were used to finding stuff in the bridge holes on the Coventry so always loaded bit bow down and slacked right off . Don’t remember having problem getting into or out of the Ashby but expect we did.

32 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

A barge is quite heavy innit??

It weighs precisely the same as the water it displaces, or so I am lead to believe. Some geezer called Archimedes said so (after streaking down the road shouting “Eureka!” or some such). 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It weighs precisely the same as the water it displaces, or so I am lead to believe. Some geezer called Archimedes said so (after streaking down the road shouting “Eureka!” or some such). 

Surely a big barge weighs more than a little one.

Archimedes. He invented the screw as well didn’t he? ?