Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Can't be helped Athy & Mrs. 

So how should it have been?

Actually, it appears that there would have been rain five days out of the seven, so we were probably better off here in the sunny Fens.

On this day in 2019

P5238277a.jpg.1f3cd5c7fc6fb740a752240fd0e4a9b7.jpg

Bridge 25 L&L. "Bigger than your average garden gnome"

HALSALL NAVVY - Canalside Art. From 2004 of millstone grit. A commission for the West Lancs Canal partnership sited  at the spot where the first sod was cut by the navvies building the Leeds and Liverpool canal.

3 hours ago, John Liley said:

Leeds again, but 49 years ago. The Co-op had two tugs and several unpowered barges, bringing coal from the Aire & Calder pits right into the city centre.

Leeds Co-op.jpg

If you got there before 6-00am, you could go with them for a trip.

Towing 2.jpg

• Greenie 2

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

Who owns it?

Are you fancying buying a compact & bijou residence? Unlikely to feature on Grand Designs unless you incorporate underground bedrooms!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2014

L2172_20140522_0045a.jpg.10aa41615942c63e937716acd23faceb.jpg

Below River Lock Leeds A+C

preparing to tie up for the lock

Nowhere much to tie up there . . . I imagine quite complicated for a single hander.

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

Now at Charity Dock on the Cov.  Well, it was the last time I passed it.

Would blend in well with the locals!

6 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2015

L2328_20150523_0004a.jpg.573dfeeb852bc67a20aeb0a1ba21e039.jpg

Oxford

spacer.pngCanalplan describes here the exact location if the lock beam looks out-of-place above  ?

I'd forgotten about that. We went into Oxford for the day by train a couple of years ago and walked down the canal to its very end. There was a forum member moored there at the time! That winding hole is pretty tight, anything above about 40 feet long would struggle to turn there as I recall.

Off-shot to the left we noticed another channel, whether part of the canal or of the Isis I don't know, but there were some interesting boats parked there on what looked like good, secluded moorings.

37 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Nowhere much to tie up there [River Lock Leeds approaching from below]. . . I imagine quite complicated for a single hander....

spacer.png

Not all that much space.

spacer.pngWith photo 3 here,TMB advocates "If coming upstream ... it is advisable to have crew take the free taxi to the lock and have it ready when you arrive as the taxi sits on the lock landing ..." The taxi fare is now £1 per journey, btw.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

That winding hole is pretty tight, anything above about 40 feet long would struggle to turn there as I recall.

On 21/10/2009 at 17:00, PeterScott said:

we were reversing TO the end of the Hythe Bridge Arm (Oxford) and met, coming from the opposite direction, ... a boat reversing FROM the end [having found themselves too long to turn]. An interesting discussion on what 'two hoots' might mean (is starboard a fixed concept or does it depend on the way the boat is moving?) which drifted into an erudite conversation about the colregs, then to what the Woolwich Ferry means by three-hoots. On reflection I might have imagined the last bit.

On 22/10/2009 at 13:38, Tam & Di said:

... both boats were in reverse in the post you picked up on, .... The CEVNI rules are not applicable in the UK as UK has (foolishly) not signed up to the agreement. They do state that when two boats are meeting and there may be risk of collision each vessel shall veer to starboard. It does not specify whether the meeting is to be bow to bow or stern to stern. The regs do allow for meeting starboard to starboard in certain circumstances and if the appropriate signals are given. I don't have my copy of COLREGS to hand, ... but I'm virtually certain that they have nothing significant to say on the matter either. However as neither CEVNI nor COLREGS are applicable on canals, and BW byelaws have nothing to say on the subject, it's just a matter of he who hesitates is sometimes saved, or Devil take the hindmost or something similar. Actually what all the rules do say is that the rules should be ignored if this is necessary in order to avoid collision.

Someone else suggested that it might be easier just to swap boats.

L1141_20050917_0012a.jpg.bdf87408d5ff25db81bce6093551259f.jpg

L1141_20050917_0013a.jpg.2e1905100ea6ccbdca718424b45239cc.jpg

Edited by PeterScott