Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

spacer.png

On 19/04/2020 at 12:41, Ray T said:

boats on the Thames. ... 1918 ... A surrendered U Boat. ... [13:03] By Royal Command repeat performance 1945.

spacer.png

The Northern Powerhouse Has Submarines Too ? (Manchester Ship Canal) Pictures May 1967 Eddie Whitham

submarine_622-May-1967-Latc.jpg

13 hours ago, John Liley said:

To return to the discussion on side ponds, herewith a view of Watford Locks on the Grand Union, Leicester Section, plus, from the mid-1960s, the official advice on how to get through them. 

DSC_0585.JPG

P125 Watford Lk Notice.jpg

Interesting. When did the mantra 'red before white and you'll be all right' come in? (But I notice that the paddles are actually coloured in the photo)

Edited by Mike Todd

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Interesting. When did the mantra 'red before white and you'll be all right' come in? (But I notice that the paddles are actually coloured in the photo)

That I think was down to Crystal.

I think what this example shows is that it is possible to write complex and simple instructions for most tasks.  The 1960s BW notice is a good example of the former.

Watford is really pretty simple

• make sure all gates and paddles are closed
  • open the two paddles next to the gate you want to go through next
  • open the red one first (to avoid wasting water over the overflow in the side pond)

For a side pound on a normal lock, when filling or emptying the lock

•  ensure all gates and paddles are closed, at both ends of the lock
  • open the (yellow) paddle, connecting to the side pound
  • when the levels equalise, shut the yellow paddle
  • continue filling or emptying the lock as normal.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

When did the mantra 'red before white and you'll be all right' come in?

1 hour ago, hughc said:

That I think was down to Crystal.

Yes, iirc Crystal did work at Watford sometimes, after being at Foxton for some years: " White before Red and you're dead"17-004.JPG.3fe2cd88bdd93e429e726e8967261cbe.JPG.

17-023.JPG.fb4756e66738d5194b19001c14c7bd54.JPG

.Before the days of volunteers, BW had a paid lockkeepers working and controlling Watford Locks on busy weekends. From 1 June 2002

Edited by PeterScott
year

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

Yes, iirc Crystal did work at Watford sometimes, after being at Foxton for some years: " White before Red and you're dead"17-004.JPG.3fe2cd88bdd93e429e726e8967261cbe.JPG.

17-023.JPG.fb4756e66738d5194b19001c14c7bd54.JPG

.Before the days of volunteers, BW had a paid lockkeepers working and controlling Watford Locks on busy weekends. From 1 June 2002

What’s his name?

On this day in 2004

L1058_20040507_0003a.jpg.f82871e0eddffaa1acc72fa551adcfe3.jpg

Acton Bridge T&M

Phil applying heat to the swan's neck to repair an argument with a gatepaddle-box (err ... it's complicated) causing the tiller bar to be pointing upwards at a fortyfive degree angle

Jaguar and David Blagroves Elton coming back from Lymm rally 1971

2076C1E7-557C-4B10-B1DF-B9425C95C9B8.jpeg

At that rally in a tug of war with NB Dart Jaguar was beaten so we never got the beer .

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Jaguar and David Blagroves Elton coming back from Lymm rally 1971

2076C1E7-557C-4B10-B1DF-B9425C95C9B8.jpeg

At that rally in a tug of war with NB Dart Jaguar was beaten so we never got the beer .

David Blagrove was my wifes History teacher in '85!

23 minutes ago, robtheplod said:
26 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

David Blagrove was my wifes History teacher in '85!

I believe his lessons were quite interesting and that he was easily distracted. We served on a few committees together and as you may know he never had a car but somehow he knew where to find a chip shop in any place we went to. Perhaps he should have taught geography ?

3 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

My wife speaks fondly of him saying he was a very engaging and interesting teacher, and remembered a time when the German exchange students came over he took the class on his boat for the day!

On this day in 2009

L1535_20090507_0118.JPG.be1f162148f7c83f45be02664a2e616a.JPG

Berko, GU South

Dramatis personae:

Fulbourne, with a water-cooled National engine is for some reason I can't now remember on the towingpath side of the breasted pair with butty Angel. The output-water spurts out in splooshes (to use the technical term) just above the towingpath level under the bridge.

Mick: steering Fulbourne, or would be if he wasn't aboard Angel at the time and is just resuming a steering position, but too late to halt progress of the boats even if he had a mind so to do.L1535_20090507_0122.JPG.cf5fa4b24696b98cfc601ea510452b74.JPG

Sheena: steering Angel, but with little influence on boats progress in this breasted configuration

Photographer: (the chap in jeans and upmarket teeshirt, and owner of bag-on-towingpath). About to find out about the splooshing.

Bride and Bridegroom: Also about to find out about splooshing. And not quite in wedding mode, as this is a photoshoot for a Your Ideal Wedding Dress or similar magazine. Presumably the nice people who own that dress would like it back without splooshing thereon. ...

... And a timely girding-of-loins fortunately avoided any discomfort. An anticlimax ater all ...

• Greenie 1