Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Pete you are right. It’s such a long while since I went that way when I found the photo I could only remember Aynho being that shaped lock.

Interesting to see it with that hydraulic mechanism. My library photo dates back to 2014 - last item we were that way after we moved our mooring from the southern Oxford - and shows both gates with more conventional ratchet mechanisms.

OX Bridge 218.jpg

OX Lock 41 Above.jpg

I’ve been thinking about this lock and Mikes photos have cleared some fog from the old brain box. The picture I posted was 1980 but in 1975 I had a load of coal on and came down this length in fog and nearly went down the wire stream but just caught a glimpse  of the gate beam and held back hard.

David

On this day in 2018

Just The Thing For A Cold Day

Regents Canal GU

You, too, can hire one here it has a stove for warmth and, reassuringly, clean water for each booking. At this time the website mentioned expanding to other locations. Just the thing for a damp morning on the Aire and Calder.

Edited by PeterScott
spelling
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2018

Regents Canal GU

You, too, can hire one here it has a stove for warmth and, reassuringly, clean water for each booking. At this time the website mentioned expanding to other locations. Just the thing for a damp morning on the Aire and Calder.

Love it.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Not a canal, but we went to Llyn Tegid last year in the "land boat."

Used to race the Fireball dinghy here 45 or so years ago. :boat:

IMGP4418.JPG

IMGP4421.JPG

Have happy memories of running Scout camps on the shore of the lake. I can remember on one dark night we paddled kyaks from one side to the other and pack. We had tilley lamp on the shore to guide us back to the right place. We sailed Mirrors and Larks on the lake. Also years later had fun with my Solo on it.

40 minutes ago, Dorlan said:

End of April, about 20 years ago, in reverse order!... File2403a.jpg.c1d6396394b10cb405ce377753912c6e.jpg

File2404a.jpg

Rather you than me, getting as close as that to a nesting swan - or did you have a telephoto lens?

on this day in 2003

L0990_20030428_0028a.jpg.37ad2b388291ed4e7d870ac4547d1eab.jpg

Middlewich. Waterways World reports this month, the June2020 edition that the site previously used by Middlewich Narrowboats until its demise in 2016 is to be taken over by Floating Holidays, previously based at Higher Poynton on the Macclesfield. They already have a website, it seems

On 28/04/2020 at 10:54, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2018

Regents Canal GU

well, they would say that wouldn't they?  probl'y just a tick in the box, like those will-o'the-wisp public toilet cleaners.    :unsure:

18 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

well, they would say that wouldn't they?  probl'y just a tick in the box, like those will-o'the-wisp public toilet cleaners.    :unsure:

Set off from Norbury on a warm sunny spring day.This is 3 days later - Easter Sunday 2008 - approaching Audlem Top Lock(totally not expected!)

Howard

Approaching Audlem Top Lock 6.4.08 (2).JPG

Edited by howardang