Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

20150930_122707.jpg

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

From 1979 until 2002 (except for a brief period from 1985-1990) I worked in a Thameside building on Upper Thames Street (where the building with the sun reflecting off it is now in your photo). 

Virtually all of the buildings that were there then have been replaced.

Back in around 2010, I was working in a data centre in Docklands, and there was a tube strike on. I walked from Waterloo to the Bank to pick up the DLR, but the bank DLR station was closed, so i walked on to Tower Gateway DLR station. "I'll walk past my old building and see what has replaced it"  I thought and headed for Upper Thames Street.

What I saw was almost surreal. All of the old buildings on both sides of the road had been replaced and I was walking along a glass canyon. Very strange knowing the road names and layouts but not recognising anything until the Tower of London came into sight.

Last visited London in 2013 and probably wouldnt recognise much of it these days.

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

From 1979 until 2002 (except for a brief period from 1985-1990) I worked in a Thameside building on Upper Thames Street (where the building with the sun reflecting off it is now in your photo). 

Virtually all of the buildings that were there then have been replaced.

Back in around 2010, I was working in a data centre in Docklands, and there was a tube strike on. I walked from Waterloo to the Bank to pick up the DLR, but the bank DLR station was closed, so i walked on to Tower Gateway DLR station. "I'll walk past my old building and see what has replaced it"  I thought and headed for Upper Thames Street.

What I saw was almost surreal. All of the old buildings on both sides of the road had been replaced and I was walking along a glass canyon. Very strange knowing the road names and layouts but not recognising anything until the Tower of London came into sight.

Last visited London in 2013 and probably wouldnt recognise much of it these days.

London (Sq Mile city of and surrounds) is transforming. There are many huge iconic structures going up. We are and have been involved in many. 

Bishopsgate and Leadenhall are changing rapidly. I love London.

Edited by mark99

Compared with #452 I think I have fewer cranes in view, but from the lower deck of Tower Bridge in September 2018. Moored on the right of the image is the steamship Waverley with its red funnels, which but for the accursed virus was intending to resume service this summer after an expensive boiler refit.

L2813_20180930_0023a.jpg.b3b1e7c06fa1f89ad31e9b399f7ea721.jpg

From the upper deck in 2007, (for the waterways protest against government's in-year BW funding cuts), there are still lots of cranes, but that stange shaped thinggy (The Walkie Talkie) near to Tower Wharf hadn't then been built. Nor had The Shard

L1283_20070116_0057a.jpg.ec03bdb3d5735cca6da74ab0837787a7.jpg

12 hours ago, mark99 said:

London (Sq Mile city of and surrounds) is transforming. There are many huge iconic structures going up. We are and have been involved in many. 

Bishopsgate and Leadenhall are changing rapidly. I love London.

Spent many an hour in The Lamb in Leadenhall Market. It was one of the first Young's pubs i wnt into in the early 70's.

12 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Compared with #452 I think I have fewer cranes in view, but from the lower deck of Tower Bridge in September 2018. Moored on the right of the image is the steamship Waverley with its red funnels, which but for the accursed virus was intending to resume service this summer after an expensive boiler refit.

From the upper deck in 2007, (for the waterways protest against government's in-year BW funding cuts), there are still lots of cranes, but that stange shaped thinggy (The Walkie Talkie) near to Tower Wharf hadn't then been built. Nor had The Shard

L1283_20070116_0057a.jpg.ec03bdb3d5735cca6da74ab0837787a7.jpg

Fulbourne being having been boarded by the rozzers and searched for whatever approaching tower bridge on that cruise ?

111 Tidal Thames Protest Cruise Feb 207.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis

22 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Fulbourne being having been boarded by the rozzers and searched for whatever approaching tower bridge on that cruise ?

111 Tidal Thames Protest Cruise Feb 207.JPG

No photo as it didn't seem tactful to take one.  But the rozzer that boarded our boat just above Westminster Bridge missed his footing and dropped straight into London River.

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Fulbourne being having been boarded by the rozzers

Copperkins being boarded by the River Police (do they count as rozzers, I wonder) on the day after the General Election 2005

L1109_20050506_0125.JPG.e8bae4906ee04257d7907660ae43475b.JPG

Our steerer was a policeman from Scotland and they got on well, comparing needless bureaucracy and the merits of their Inspectors. In any case, outrunning them didn't seem an option.

L1109_20050506_0143.JPG.f1a3de75f7dd55ce9607e53cb87df569.JPG

Edited by PeterScott

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Fulbourne ... approaching tower bridge on that cruise

Fulbourne is at the bottom of the image

L1283_20070116_0023.JPG

and to make it easier to work out who is standing where:

L1283_20070116_0024.JPG

Edited by PeterScott

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

It had had a hard campaign, judging by the dints in the handrail. (Thinks: why would a submarine need handrails?)

If the crew were using the deck guns in anything but a flat calm. Also the crew would clip on if they were moving around the conning tower.

Looking at the above photo if a crewman fell overboard hopefully he could stand on the ballast tanks and grab hold of the rail.

By Royal Command repeat performance 1945.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

On 16/04/2020 at 15:49, Athy said:

I've occasionally seen that French habit of mounting a small car on their péniche or other barge. It is rather charming.

Not only commercials - here's ours, and Balliol has one too. We had planned to spend April here, as one does, but the virus beat us to it:

Paris.rev.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di
fat finger syndrome
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1