Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Dining Out Narrowboat style.

On the river Cam. On a friends boat in 2009. 

On this trip Val declared. "I could live this life" and was promptly challenged "Well why don,t you?"

Little did any of us know that 4years later we were, and on the same boat. 

IMG_3201.JPG

Edited by DandV
  • Greenie 2

11 hours ago, DandV said:

A very nice blue narrowboat third back on the left. 

St Pancras Cruising club trip May 2017. Wonderful trip, but the 28? narrowboats in an unbroken  line through the centre of London sure pissed the trip boat operators off

Our last year cruising, the left the boat with a broker and flew directly home.

We came off the river at Brentford.

It was wonderful fun!

I never thought I would go under the middle of Tower Bridge in my own boat.

We enjoyed ourselves so much we did it again last year.

THANK YOU SPCC.

IMG_1992 (2).jpeg

IMG_1821 (2).jpeg

• Greenie 1

On this day in 1998

L11788.jpg.f804528a9e9372b73a586810959362b4.jpgIt had rained a lot, the watercourse was blocked somehow, the water pressure caused a failure, and the associated fountain filled and sank the open boat, innocently moored to the towingpath -  between Braunston tunnel and top lock. Of the many ways to sink a boat this must be one of the most unlucky.

On this day in 2001

L0864_20010409_0060.JPG.8ede51c366f0a3622e73a188bab20c0c.JPG

This is Copperkins emerging from Scout Tunnel, Huddersfield Narrow Canal as the first boat to make this journey from Stalybridge since the restoration. The canals had been closed by the Foot-and-Mouth outbreak, and so the opening of the restored canal had been postponed until this day, with only local publicity about the arrangements. So it was a major surprise to arrive below the locks at Stalybridge to find a small group of boats coming down the locks, having performed the opening ceremony. On the right of this image are Fred Carter and A Hemingway, in BW's then jolly-green-giant workgear (it was not a popular set of work clothing iirc) who monitored our progress to the bottom of Diggle flight which was the extent of possible progress for the moment.

On 08/04/2020 at 23:15, Tim Lewis said:

137 Manchester Ship Canal 30th August 1988.jpg

My first thought was that this was Barton Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal, with Barton Viaduct (M60) in the background, and presumably photographed after the Salford National in 1988. But the building in the background isn't there now, and old mapsdon't show any such building.

So I guess it must be Latchford Lock with Thelwall Viaduct (M6) in the background.

Google Streetview shows new apartments in the background, but a bit of googling shows the site used to be occupied by the Richmond Gas Stove and Meter Company, so I guess that is it.

More googling found this undated image labelled "Cargo ship Philipp passing through Latchford locks on the Manchester ship canal, Latchford, Warrington, Cheshire, UK." which confirms the location.

From https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/cargo-ship-philipp-passing-through-latchford-locks-on-the-news-photo/976043236

cargo-ship-philipp-passing-through-latch

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

My first thought was that this was Barton Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal, with Barton Viaduct (M60) in the background, and presumably photographed after the Salford National in 1988. But the building in the background isn't there now, and old mapsdon't show any such building.

So I guess it must be Latchford Lock with Thelwall Viaduct (M6) in the background.

Google Streetview shows new apartments in the background, but a bit of googling shows the site used to be occupied by the Richmond Gas Stove and Meter Company, so I guess that is it.

More googling found this undated image labelled "Cargo ship Philipp passing through Latchford locks on the Manchester ship canal, Latchford, Warrington, Cheshire, UK." which confirms the location.

From https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/cargo-ship-philipp-passing-through-latchford-locks-on-the-news-photo/976043236

Photo taken 30th August 1988 on the MSC convoy coming away from the IWA National Rally.  In those days the MSC insisted that narrow boats transited the canal breasted up we we on Fulbourne ended up coupled up with President. This was great until they were told  to shut thier engine down going passed Stanlow refinery ?

123 Manchester Ship Canal 30th August 1988.jpg

130 Manchester Ship Canal 30th August 1988.jpg

On the "count the narrowboats" thread, this is at Irlam locks on the Manchester Ship Canal heading for the Salford Quays IWA National Rally in August 1998 L12009.jpg.401d2ef6381cbb1be6828c1224e48512.jpgTim Lewis mentioned his picture was "30th August 1988 on the MSC convoy coming away from the IWA National Rally" which was the Rally at
 Castleford in Manchester, and DavidMack typoed a mixture of the two "Salford National in 1988". Of the 1998 Salford IWA National, there is an excellent account of the three-stage convoy(s) in WaterwaysWorld November 1998 by Jim Shead from the tiller of nbLorna-Ann

L12029.jpg

10 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Tim Lewis mentioned his picture was "30th August 1988 on the MSC convoy coming away from the IWA National Rally" which was the Rally at
 Castleford in Manchester, and DavidMack typoed a mixture of the two "Salford National in 1988".

Oops! Yes I was confusing the two IWA National Rallies - Castlefield in 1988 and Salford Quays in 1998. And I went to both (but not by boat).