Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Can't seem to add a caption to the above but the top one is feeding the catfish, roach, 1 perch and other little fish from the boat, bottom pic is a French 'narrow boat', a 'Berrichon', A bit too wide for English narrow canals and built for the Canal du Berry.

5 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2015, Circus Field Aylesbury drydock

L2314_20150404_0069.JPG

I can just see a sliver of blue roof between two boats moored astern.

Our bright blue boat Whio, awaiting our return for another wonderful extended summer of cruising your beautiful countryside, on beautiful canals, on a beautiful boat,and meeting so many wonderful people. Those were the times, continuous summers, lots of boating at both ends of the world. We miss it.

And in the corner of the compound the daffodils we bought and planted.

This the first time we have seen them in flower as they had always finished by the time we arrived.

Edited by DandV
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

12 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Another angle gives a bit more than a sliver.L2314_20150404_0067a.jpg.23725bf6066ea4ed93b886de856cca8b.jpg

Thanks Peter. Brings back the memories of those early mornings being dropped off by taxi at the basin gate, me to take the bags down and board over the rear fender, and Val to head off over the canal and on the tow path to get the initial food supplies. At least that year, unlike the year before  we remembered the combination for the lock!

Actually we had remembered the number, but the locks had slightly frozen after six months and needed a strong pull to open first time. By that time we were in a right panic.

On another thread there is a discussion on barbeques on the cut so I thought I would post some photos of ours.

Folding charcoal barbeque was originally purchased to keep disposable barbeques off the ground, tables etc.

We used a 50 50 mix of virgin charcoal and reused charcoal which we kept in a metal cake tin.

Generally started it with white spirit dregs from paint brush cleaning as a convenient way of getting rid of them.

The cake tin lid provided a convenient fan to liven up reluctant barbeques.

After cooking, we would empty the still burning coals into the cake tin and quickly and accurately put the lid on to extinguish them.

It was remarkable how quickly the cake tin then cooled down.    

Any way the photos

P1020493.JPG

P1020849.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

DSCN1967.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, DandV said:

I can just see a sliver of blue roof between two boats moored astern.

Our bright blue boat Whio, awaiting our return for another wonderful extended summer of cruising your beautiful countryside, on beautiful canals, on a beautiful boat,and meeting so many wonderful people. Those were the times, continuous summers, lots of boating at both ends of the world. We miss it.

And in the corner of the compound the daffodils we bought and planted.

This the first time we have seen them in flower as they had always finished by the time we arrived.

You have jerked a memory. We met you in a Leeds. Must be, perhaps, four years ago. You borrowed our wet vac. We met up with the boat maybe a year later somewhere with, your son? onboard.

I thought I knew DandV somehow.

On this day in 2018, near Coles Lift Bridge No 183 Southern Oxford. The water level in adjacent field was higher than the canal towingpath, making for some dampness-of-feet for an afternoon's lockwheeling

L2762_20180405_0258a.jpg

7 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

You have jerked a memory. We met you in a Leeds. Must be, perhaps, four years ago. You borrowed our wet vac. We met up with the boat maybe a year later somewhere with, your son? onboard.

I thought I knew DandV somehow.

Yes that's right, those leaking t&m gates deposited quite a lot of water down the engine hole, and that vac was most appreciated. And we enjoyed the chat.

And yes I do now remember passing you on the South Oxford, with  you waving furiously.

We had a family of hitchhikers on board. A nice young family that had taken an interest in a boat locking up, so we took them for a short cruise on to where we were stopping anyway. Unfortunately my two children never made it over to the UK in the time we had the boat. One went back to NZ from 5 years in the UK just prior, and then decided to get married  whilst we we cruising, so we had a 14day and horrendously expensive interruption to that cruise. And both had babies when we were away.

That's the bugger with this lockdown thing, we are missing out on visits.

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2015. A Large Woolwich has a lot of bottom to black. Particularly with three coats, on the bottom too.

L2314_20150405_0052a.jpg

I bet it took weeks with that little 1” brush...

• Happy 1