Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Love your photos Peter Scott.

The only time we got to go canal boating under bare trees was in 2013. Was it an unusually late spring that year? Compared to subsequent years that is.

We had booked an early arrival into the UK as the plan was to have to first buy a boat. We had worked out our wish list, made a spreadsheet of boats on brokerage, and rated them on our spreadsheet, against our wish list, and followed them through price reductions and offers. We commissioned Matt of this parish to even check a couple of likely boats, and spot for others, and then assist us to see a selected short list upon arrival. But because of illness the only private boat we knew, became available, so we arrived in England and moved more or less directly on board just in time for the Aylesbury Great Boat Escape. Got Whio up to 50mph on our very first outing!

In order to try to see some autumn colours in our six months allowed sojourns we had a couple of late arrivals, and our early arrival on our last year, was defeated by the even earlier arrival of leaf burst. 

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

...and here's another 2 forum members..

20180526_165507.jpg

Clock the Tame Valley graffiti!

ETA I love the way whoever put it there added the 'ists' to the 'Satan' as an afterthought in smaller letters.

Edited by Victor Vectis

This was either at Mystic Seaport or Boston USA, not sure if it ever had a serious use or if it was just for the fun of doing it. Mystic Seaport is highly recommended if anybody gets half a chance to visit.

IMG_0351.JPG

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

That's an awful long time ago - 1980s ? They were nicely shaped boats.

Yes nice boats I went back several times very efficient as well they quickly came & fixed a broken throttle cable at Stoke top lock.

I must dig out my photos and scan them for posting.

7 hours ago, Bee said:

This was either at Mystic Seaport or Boston USA, not sure if it ever had a serious use or if it was just for the fun of doing it. Mystic Seaport is highly recommended if anybody gets half a chance to visit.

IMG_0351.JPG

Definitely Boston. I have a very similar photo.

7 hours ago, PeterScott said:

1st April 2005

L1103_20050401_0003.jpg

Middlewich Narrowboats were a much respected hire company it was sad to see their slow decline and demise.Maple was an excellent boat. We did look at Willow with a view to buying it but it was in poor condition. If I would love to ownhowever anyone sees one of the wooden top boats for sale I would be interested. The 1960/70s hire fleet is not well represented among surviving boats. I would love to own Larch or pine or any of the other 50ft boats.