Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, DandV said:

Confession time.

The huge changes, in such an incredibly short time,  caused by this virus are exposing some of my vulnerabilities. In this I am  sure that I am not alone.  Today alone, there have been unprecedented developments here in New Zealand  severly restricting freedoms that have always been part of my life and freedoms that for the two generations before, fought so valiantly,  in two world wars. Freedoms that I too have, have so vigorously supported throughout  my life. We are now all, the whole country, or in the next few hours, to either enter full lock down or be in a state of effective emergency deployment for the next month at least.

Whilst  I  fully agree with the massive emergency measures adopted so quickly by our Government,  but this agreement does not stop me  grieving for what we had before. 

It is a fantastic supportive community here on this forum,  one that has generally been tolerant, and even supportive of divergent views, in spite of at times in my view, overly robust debate.

But in these now exceptionally  challenging times, we must remind ourselves that the vast majority of us will survive ok, some wiil indeed flourish, but for most it will  be rough in the meantime. For some incredibly rough. But basic humanity is incredibly robust and  will prevail. There will be more great times and things. And there are some now. Please share here the good things happening , and those lovely sights.

And I hope after some self medication  I do not sound too much like a pious Methodist  Minister.

Yep, a surreal few days. Had our last takeaway tonight for a while...

10 hours ago, DandV said:

And I hope after some self medication  I do not sound too much like a pious Methodist  Minister.

Er... I hate to break it to you but...  ?

Nah, I know what you mean.

Anyway, as long as you don't start with the  "You're me best pal..."  you're safe    :)

Edited by bagginz

On 22/03/2020 at 19:30, WhiteSuit said:

_DSC0217.JPG.422f47acdf41ad8d42ac240e5c70d2fa.JPG

I thought I knew that spire.   You've caught it in nice light too, near sunset ?

It's a gorgeous church at Braunston

On 22/03/2020 at 20:32, WhiteSuit said:

Sad days, love the sound even if a non attendee.

Me too 

2115655362_ScreenShot2020-03-23at22_49_41.jpg.3c2317134cb44af77f71012bcc289f95.jpg

Edited by bagginz
  • Greenie 1

Well we have been joined by Britain in lockdown. Not that is any consolation in itself , but there is increasing evidence that in the absence of a vaccine it is the best tool we have currently got, but only  if it obtains near total support.

I am still enjoying those photographic contributions. Spring is beautiful in Britain.

• Greenie 2

15 hours ago, bagginz said:

I thought I knew that spire.   You've caught it in nice light too, near sunset ?

It's a gorgeous church at Braunston

It had been persisting down all afternoon then the sun suddenly popped out with a most earie light. 

The picture tells me I'm on my boat in one of my favourite places. If it wasn't for family my wife would very happily live there.

1 hour ago, WhiteSuit said:

It had been persisting down all afternoon then the sun suddenly popped out with a most earie light. 

The picture tells me I'm on my boat in one of my favourite places. If it wasn't for family my wife would very happily live there.

"persisting down"     :) 

I hope you'll forgive my presumptuousness, but my OCD couldn't allow an otherwise excellent photo to be marred by not being quite level:

_DSC0217.JPG.422f47acdf41ad8d42ac240e5c70d2fa copy1.jpg

Edited by bagginz

2 minutes ago, bagginz said:

"persisting down"     :) 

I hope you'll forgive my presumptuousness, but my OCD couldn't allow an otherwise excellent shot to be marred by not being quite level:

_DSC0217.JPG.422f47acdf41ad8d42ac240e5c70d2fa copy1.jpg

Thank goodness it wasn't St. Mary's, Chesterfield, church.

Edited by Athy

8 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Shouldn't (leave home) and it isn't (sinking) ...

Rat.jpg

Ha! I'll Raise you a coypu!  These things are all over the canal in Strasbourg, they come out in the day when office workers sit in the park and have their lunch, people throw titbits to them and they are fearless, plenty of rats around too. Not a very good picture but you can just see the bright orange teeth

IMG_0516.JPG

Edited by Bee
  • Greenie 1

Out on our permissible exercise trip. No more then two in a group, local to home, and must be in an area where 2m isolation is always achievable. 

The pedestrian weave, was being practiced with skill.

Absolutly no retailers other then essential food suppliers and chemists and these with entry restrictions to achieve very low density.

But the sun was shining, the boats were floating, and children seeing a lot more of their dads. Absolutely Nationwide including our off shore islands. 4weeks minimum of this and it will only be relaxed if zero new infections in previous 14 days. 

Hopefully then with closed borders we can relax the controls. The borders will remain closed to any other country until they have eliminated the disease.

Returning kiwis will be placed in supervised closed quarantine until both they and the quarantine facility is clear.

IMG_20200325_114131259.jpg

IMG_20200325_112905019.jpg

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Not the worst place to be stuck for a while...

IMG_20200324_142316_713.jpg

IMG_20200313_152839_334.jpg

That flat in a tower block may have been a better investment, but as a place to live in at a time like this there is no comparison. Enjoy your boat and it's surroundings and as a bonus summer is coming!

Unfortunately no water near the house - (nearest water being the River Wandle) - will have to sit down and watch the skeletal landscape move from cold spring dawn <first image taken today> inexorably to late spring greeness <2nd image last year>. Note the missing flowing Silver Birch in the distance - casualty of the winds recently. Now chopped up and seasoning in the wood store. The big tree is a Walnut.

20200325_074724_resized.jpg

patt.jpg

Edited by mark99

On 23/03/2020 at 14:29, pete harrison said:

Both from early May 2018. This was both the first and the last time I was on my boat whilst it was moving, but now coming towards the end of a 2 year restoration :captain:1711159964_OTLEYheadingupstreamontheThames05May2018-undernewownership-sailingclub(JacobHarrison).jpg.197e452fc3ad36609e16ee06d947d8d4.jpg

Can't quite locate which part of the Thames that may be?