Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not this year, but "a starter" :

51948861gallery_wm.jpg

51948862gallery_wm.jpg

That's one nice looking boat. Looks like a limestone coastline, somewhere in the Med?

Still on my now delayed bucket list, is a sailing holiday in the eastern med. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Croatia.

They were the Brokers pictures. We bought her & went to pick her up from Rijeka and sailed back to Hull.

3050 miles in 28 days.

Hull would obv's outshine Croacia.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Did you ever use the sails?

All the way except when there was a force 8 in the Med and had to run back to Italy, and then crossing the Bay of Biscay in to a F5 NE'ly headwind.

Sails + engines got us up the Channel at 12 knots.

They are only 2x 20hp engines. really designed for 'harbour work'.

She sails as fast as the engines will take her - its all down to hull design and water length.

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You've lost me here.  I was interested and was hoping to see pics with sails up.  Not sure where the nuts and crisps come in?

No, haven't got any, its not possible to get much in the way of 'sailing' photos when you are on the boat and when offshore there is no one near to ask to take a picture.

I am always surprised by the 'official' statistic that sail boats actually use sails for less than 50% of the time 'sailing'.

If you are going trans-ocean then there is nowhere to re-fuel then its a case of 'wait for the wind' but coastal hopping you can always 'pull-in' and top up so not an issue.

We'll see what this Summer brings - may try to get some from the Dinghy with the 'mother ship' under sail.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Did you ever use the sails?

You've lost me here.  I was interested and was hoping to see pics with sails up.  Not sure where the nuts and crisps come in?

Is it a terminology thing, like windless not lock key, lines not ropes?

So sorry, no offence intended; I thought, wrongly, that your post was tongue in cheek, and some people use that comment about nuts & crisps to indicate that a person who has posted something might be offended.  It's just that many rag and stick men can be  sensitive about being asked if they ever use the sails - obviously I see that that wasn't what you were suggesting; and it would be a crying shame if such a fine craft hadn't used its rig whenever possible. 

Howard 

2 hours ago, howardang said:

So sorry, no offence intended; I thought, wrongly, that your post was tongue in cheek, and some people use that comment about nuts & crisps to indicate that a person who has posted something might be offended.  It's just that many rag and stick men can be  sensitive about being asked if they ever use the sails - obviously I see that that wasn't what you were suggesting; and it would be a crying shame if such a fine craft hadn't used its rig whenever possible. 

Howard 

I had no idea my comment could be taken the wrong way.  I love to see a boat in full sail, that's all.  One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen was a tall ship sailing down the thames estuary with its sails all billowing out.

"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking."
 - John Masefield.

I'd love a sea going sail boat.
2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

20200316_111535.jpg

where's that?