Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Peter Thornton

Coronavirus and changeovers

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Don't worry your little head about it Mike..... peterb says that jaguar did something like this in the war, so everything's alright..... innit?

I see they're first in the queue to do the same now. For the second time this year they have closed factories for 4 weeks on the pretext of emergency. Funny how Brazil and India are still  working at full tilt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A few months ago, everyone was saying huge amounts of warehouse space had been filled up with stuff so there wouldn't be a crisis when all the lorries got stuck at Dover for Brexit, so there was no danger of a shortage of anything....

This is a teeny weeny bit more important and its world wide and far more disrupting than just jacking in membership of some little golf club though, or hadnt you realised that? Leaving the golf club is trivia and always has been with respect any impact on business is way way less than the impact this virus and media coverage between them are enabling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

This is a teeny weeny bit more important and its world wide and far more disrupting than just jacking in membership of some little golf club though, or hadnt you realised that? Leaving the golf club is trivia and always has been with respect any impact on business is way way less than the impact this virus and media coverage between them are enabling.

You missed Arthur's point totally.

 

One potential benefit of this crisis is that the public will have learnt that expert knowledge does have its uses in the face of political bluster. What price Boris when, come the end of the year, German/French/Spanish labs have started to manufacture an effective vaccine for Covid-19 and the UK government suddenly discover what it means being outside the EMA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

You missed Arthur's point totally.

 

One potential benefit of this crisis is that the public will have learnt that expert knowledge does have its uses in the face of political bluster. What price Boris when, come the end of the year, German/French/Spanish labs have started to manufacture an effective vaccine for Covid-19 and the UK government suddenly discover what it means being outside the EMA?

Ever considered that your superior country may be the first to manufacture such a vaccine? If and when a vaccine becomes available it WILL be made available to everyone anyway. To suggest otherwise is yet more scaremongering and we have oodles of that at present.

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The largest biomedical research facility in Europe is infact in London, The UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation (UKCMRI) is responsible for the scientific response to emerging infleunza pandemics, carrying out rapid genetic sequencing of viruses and helping to develop vaccines. The development of a effected vaccine will be through international collaboration

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ever considered that your superior country may be the first to manufacture such a vaccine? If and when a vaccine becomes available it WILL be made available to everyone anyway. To suggest otherwise is yet more scaremongering and we have oodles of that at present.

The EU has a population of almost 450 Million. If, by chance, your superior country doesn't make it first, where do you think the UK will be in the queue for our 65 million?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

The EU has a population of almost 450 Million. If, by chance, your superior country doesn't make it first, where do you think the UK will be in the queue for our 65 million?

If my superior country isnt first then I doubt the eu will be . Its my bet that China who are streets ahead of the eu when they want to be will be first with a vaccine or the USA. There may be 450 million of them but many are not much more than third world countries after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

You missed Arthur's point totally.

 

One potential benefit of this crisis is that the public will have learnt that expert knowledge does have its uses in the face of political bluster. What price Boris when, come the end of the year, German/French/Spanish labs have started to manufacture an effective vaccine for Covid-19 and the UK government suddenly discover what it means being outside the EMA?

We have the biggest biological warfare establishment in Europe what it makes it cures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2020 at 23:10, Phoenix_V said:

Just curious what exactly is "deep cleaning" a phrase we hear a lot but what does it mean, do they just scrub a bit harder or are there specific cleaning materials and measurable results?

As a retired aircraft engineer of 50 years "Deep cleaning" on a aircraft is shed load of cleaners cleaning all the things not done on a 90 min turn round. This normaly done on hanger maintenance but could be called up on overnight stop over. so for the boat cleaning more areas not done on a normal weekend swap, inside cuboards walls roof etc

How much could be done in the time available, not sure, effective not sure as this virus could be any place in or on the boat. Hard to say but maybe best to not hire out until this virus is done and dusted.

However boat good place to keep away from crowds I havent spoken to anyone for days1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I other news CART have said business as usual and canals and hire fleets remain open in their customer update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting comments. It would seem that a weeks rest between owners/hirers would be enough to let the virus die? But if taking over the same day then extra cleaning might be advisable.

The real game changer will be when the new test is made widely available and we will all get little red or green badges to indicate whether we are immune or potential carriers.

 

I suppose there's also a potential risk in the infrastructure which is touched along the way. Locks etc.

 

I suspect that the canal system has a greater proportion of vulnerable people than the rest of the country and do wonder what would happen if the virus begins to take hold here? I suspect that banning hire and share boats would be quite high up the measures taken? So it's up to us to stay safe and keep out of trouble!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EA at my marina doesn't inspire confidence. 

 

Cleaning

We are increasing our cleaning regime for all washrooms, toilets, showers, laundry, pump out, elsan and water taps. Our cleaning contractor has provided cleaning fluids that are designed to be anti-bacterial and help combat viruses.

 

& the local hospital where my missus works is making the cleaners share with each other & re-use those hazmat suits instead of throwing them away. Plus they don't get masks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem at Foxes at the moment is someone has been nicking the loo rolls out of the marina tolets. Months worth in three days. so they are going to be closed until further notice.

 

Once again the actions of the few effect the many.

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

The problem at Foxes at the moment is someone has been nicking the loo rolls out of the marina tolets. Months worth in three days. so they are going to be closed until further notice.

 

Once again the actions of the few effect the many.

 

Surely - simple enough to put a few notices around the marina

 

"Bring your own toilet roll"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

Surely - simple enough to put a few notices around the marina

 

"Bring your own toilet roll"

Do you foresee a corkage charge?

  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never mind coronavirus, I've just been diagnosed by my GP using Twitter as having BIRD FLU'...!!    JEEZ can you believe it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

Fortunately it turns out to be tweetable....

 

 

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Never mind coronavirus, I've just been diagnosed by my GP using Twitter as having BIRD FLU'...!!    JEEZ can you believe it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

Fortunately it turns out to be tweetable....

 

 

What else did you expect to have? When Doctor Cat on call

Doctor cat.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

What else did you expect to have? When Doctor Cat on call

Doctor cat.jpg

Calling @Dr Bob - someone needs a cat scan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2020 at 22:39, ditchcrawler said:

I read that Thorn Marine will be deep cleaning between hirers.

Maybe they should have been doing that regardless of the Coronavirus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.