Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Peter Thornton

Coronavirus and changeovers

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any thoughts about how the hire and share boat industry will be handling changeovers in the current situation?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well according to a passing boater today our bit of canal closes on Friday,  which is the S&SY which are big electric locks but don't know about the rest of the system.  The boater concerned was going out for 3 weeks but turned around after talking to a lock keeper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I read that Thorn Marine will be deep cleaning between hirers.

 

Covid-19 post 2.

HOLIDAY/SHORTBREAK HIRE

I have spoken with a highers that are booked over the next 2 months and they all are happy to carry on with their holiday, we will be deep cleaning the interior and exterior between hires. We still have availability. Cheshire cat is currently booked out 8th April until 20th May, this may become available soon the the Dutch owner may not be able to travel, we will update as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious what exactly is "deep cleaning" a phrase we hear a lot but what does it mean, do they just scrub a bit harder or are there specific cleaning materials and measurable results?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are government guidelines that apply to hotels that are analogous to hire boat accommodation, it's a two step process, basically similar to hand washing but more thorough. 

 

Soapy water loosens anything on hard surfaces then detergents and sprays kill anything left. Combined with laundry at 60 degs, single use cloths and double bagging all rubbish, gloves and aprons to be used that are then thrown away. 

 

Where possible leaving 72 hrs between hires as after this period the majority of virus is dead when left on hard surfaces. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul&Sam said:

There are government guidelines that apply to hotels that are analogous to hire boat accommodation, it's a two step process, basically similar to hand washing but more thorough. 

 

Soapy water loosens anything on hard surfaces then detergents and sprays kill anything left. Combined with laundry at 60 degs, single use cloths and double bagging all rubbish, gloves and aprons to be used that are then thrown away. 

 

Where possible leaving 72 hrs between hires as after this period the majority of virus is dead when left on hard surfaces. 

But how many virus (if thats the right grammer) does it take to infect??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Thornton said:

Does anyone have any thoughts about how the hire and share boat industry will be handling changeovers in the current situation?

 

I have a share in a boat which is privately managed by the owners with no management company involved. We are in the process of drawing up a "hand over" protocol which will come into effect very shortly. Each owner is already responsible for leaving the boat very clean and tidy ready for the next owner, following rules laid down in the owners agreement. Alternatively, the leaving owner can order and pay for a valet from the marina. We have been advised that the marina  valet service, which is also used by a boat hire company, will carry out an enhanced clean, paying particular attention to the bathroom and toilet areas. I also think we may additionally agree to take   our own bedding, and if the joining owner wishes they can, of course, also do any further sanitising that they wish.   

 

However, things may change and like many arrangements during this crisis we may have to consider other steps such as no cruising for a period.

Interesting times.

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve seen a really good wash with soap and water, to remove rather than kill the virus, is better than relying on bleach etc. Or both would also work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

Just curious what exactly is "deep cleaning" a phrase we hear a lot but what does it mean, do they just scrub a bit harder or are there specific cleaning materials and measurable results?

In industry, the food industry, the site/area starts off with smooth impervious surfaces and cleaning/disinfecting on equipment is at least a daily task. Regular testing is routinely done on most, but not all, food premises, it depends on the process.

They use appropriate sanitisers, for each surface, you will see similar kitchen and bathroom cleaners plus anti-bacterial washing up liquids in the supermarket. 

Deep cleaning my boat is a compromise in those terms because the soft surfaces .. upholstery, carpets bedding, clothing cannot be cleaned every day, I have ramped up changing sheets and put duvets etc on the washing line etc. between washing.

I deep clean bathroom in this manner :

Clean thoroughly, using bleach spray on handles, and clean loo surfaces, esp hinges, handles, taps. Remove everything, washing/wiping all stuff and put it out side, mostly in boxes. Do the same when bringing the back inside.

Wash  all surfaces especially corners/crevices and channels, you need to get it as clean as the day it was installed. Don't forget ceiling, vents etc. Use brushes in joints, dismantle showerhead, filters, clean and soak in a bleach solution. Use wash up sponges or decorator sponges to get in to crevices.

Wipe dry,  with paper towels, esp in corners, the paper towels are inspected for dirt, as long as there is dirt, you need to repeat!

 

If you are taking over a boat hire and it looks clean, just wipe surfaces with kitchen floor cleaning wipes, paying attention to handles, [door, cupboard, fridge, and kettle]. I use any spare boiling water to rinse sink and taps.

Use wash hand basin and paper towels, at the moment I am using diluted anti bacterial fairy liquid to hand wash.

PAPER TOWELS not communal towels on hands.

 

When out and about I wear gloves, use hand wipes frequently when exposed, I have plenty of gel and hand friendly disinfectant. Keep hands and surfaces clean and dry.

PS I am in the high risk category, so my measures are just short of extreme!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Slim said:

But how many virus (if thats the right grammer) does it take to infect??

Presumably, one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've decided I'm going to the boat for a few days to replace the immersion heater element that went 'bang' last time I was there. In order to be in self isolation I needed some fresh food. I got to my local, large, Tescos at about 8.15. It was as busy as an average Saturday morning. Most of the shelfs were bare or as good as. There was no chicken, red meat, eggs, cheese, potatoes, fresh veg, salad apart from pre washed lettece, cucumbers and spring onions. No cleaning materials apart from dishwasher powder, washing powders, hand soap etc,etc,etc. I got the last pack of frozen peas and a small bag of frozen chips. The staff doing the home delivery selection were on the verge of giving up. Finally there was no evidence of any shelf replenishment going on. I doubt that I will enjoy a healthy diet in the coming weeks. 🤬

 

Edited by Slim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Slim said:

I've decided I'm going to the boat for a few days to replace the immersion heater element that went 'bang' last time I was there. In order to be in self isolation I needed some fresh food. I got to my local, large, Tescos at about 8.15. It was as busy as an average Saturday morning. Most of the shelfs were bare or as good as. There was no chicken, red meat, eggs, cheese, potatoes, fresh veg, salad apart from pre washed lettece, cucumbers and spring onions. No cleaning materials apart from dishwasher powder, washing powders, hand soap etc,etc,etc. I got the last pack of frozen peas and a small bag of frozen chips. The staff doing the home delivery selection were on the verge of giving up. Finally there was no evidence of any shelf replenishment going on. I doubt that I will enjoy a healthy diet in the coming weeks. 🤬

 

Come to March and try the pickle diet, The only section in the local Sainsburys with any food at 11am this morning,

 

 

WP_20200319_19_46_53_Pro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Come to March and try the pickle diet, The only section in the local Sainsburys with any food at 11am this morning,

 

 

WP_20200319_19_46_53_Pro.jpg

Wot, no cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing to bear in mind is people only have so much cupboard space, so eventually they will have to stop behaving like locusts and stop buying stuff.

 

At that point the supermarkets will fill up again to bursting as their market vanishes. And at that point, as peeps stop buying and begin consume their overstocked larders and freezers, the stuff on the shelves will stay there for unnaturally long periods. So take care to check the sell-by dates. 

 

 

Just a thought.....

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The thing to bear in mind is people only have so much cupboard space, so eventually they will have to stop behaving like locusts and stop buying stuff.

 

Except it seems some folk are not content to just fill the kitchen cupboards, but also to pile stuff on every available work surface, fill the spare bedroom, garage, garden shed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The thing to bear in mind is people only have so much cupboard space, so eventually they will have to stop behaving like locusts and stop buying stuff.

 

At that point the supermarkets will fill up again to bursting as their market vanishes. And at that point, as peeps stop buying and begin consume their overstocked larders and freezers, the stuff on the shelves will stay there for unnaturally long periods. So take care to check the sell-by dates. 

 

 

My son in Law is a warehouse manager for a well known white goods seller. He tells me that chest freezers have selling like hot cakes the passed week.

Edited by nbfiresprite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months ago, everyone was saying huge amounts of warehouse space had been filled up with stuff so there wouldn't be a crisis when all the lorries got stuck at Dover for Brexit, so there was no danger of a shortage of anything....

  • Greenie 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no shortage, it's just in the wrong place, like the NHS face masks, ventilators etc. (according to the Downing Street press conference).

But with the lack of traffic, it shouldn't take too long to get where it needs to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

There's no shortage, it's just in the wrong place, like the NHS face masks, ventilators etc. (according to the Downing Street press conference).

But with the lack of traffic, it shouldn't take too long to get where it needs to be.

 

Hang on, what was all that stuff in the meeja about getting car makers to switch to making ventilators then? Where is the tooling? Typical blowhard politician waffle. 

 

I also heard a medic saying so what, to use ventilators we need blood oxy monitors, and who is promising to build more of those, too?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Hang on, what was all that stuff in the meeja about getting car makers to switch to making ventilators then? Where is the tooling? Typical blowhard politician waffle. 

 

I also heard a medic saying so what, to use ventilators we need blood oxy monitors, and who is promising to build more of those, too?

 

 

 

Don't worry your little head about it Mike..... peterb says that jaguar did something like this in the war, so everything's alright..... innit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Don't worry your little head about it Mike..... peterb says that jaguar did something like this in the war, so everything's alright..... innit?

 

Phew, thanks....

 

Eh?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.