Spruce up brass portholes....

Featured Posts

As the title really.... our portholes have patches where its darkened - see pic - can this be cleaned up do you know and if so which product?  I suspect its tarnished and that's it??  thanks!

20200318_090057.jpg

Edited by robtheplod

The dark areas look likes heavy tarnish.  It will take a lot of rubbing to get them shiny again.  Barkeepers Friend is a good start, then finish with Brasso.  Then give it a couple of coats of Incralac to keep it shiny.

I suspect the the port hole faces were lacquered, but that water has crept under the lacquer from behind and lifted it off. There appears to be a slight gap between the port holes and the cabin plating. Difficult to polish without marking the paint, but perhaps slide some very thin plastic in behind the portholes to protect the paint and then apply elbow grease.

6 minutes ago, Balliol said:

I suspect the the port hole faces were lacquered, but that water has crept under the lacquer from behind and lifted it off.

Yup, that’s what it looks like to me too. Lots and lots of elbow grease required. 

FIne wet and dry paper or wire wool to get rid of most of the tarnishing, then use a polishing mop in a drill and some green cutting compound to take it back to shiny, as in the video below from about 2.30.

You will need a sheet of some thin rigid plastic or something similar as a mask around the porthole to prevent damage to the paintwork.

If you can remove the porthole from the boat and do this on the bench it will be easier and less risk to the paintwork.

Edited by David Mack

52 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

One of undercoat and two of gloss. Life's too short to polish anything, ever. 

You're (probably) right of course - but some CCers have nothing to to other than come on here or watch t'telly.

Don't spoil their fun.

I spent good money for portholes from a salty marine brass company and half a dozen mushroom vents  from the early Boatman's cabin.

A more experienced boat mover said don't polish them they'll get nicked - and that was 30 years ago.

So I painted them red...

• Happy 1

Don't underestimate the amount of effort needed to get the tarnish on the edges removed, especially if you leave the portholes in place.

A compromise we made on our first shareboat was to paint the porthole edges the same colour as the cabin side and just polish the potholes faces. That way you dont risk marking the cabin paint when you try to polish the porthole edges.

13 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I'm encouraged that this should be able to be removed - albeit with lots of effort, but that's not a problem!  I will investigate this more when back at the boat, thanks for all the helpful replies!!!!!

Nail varnish remover is a good product for removing lacquer BUT it will damage the paint - I use "Shiny Sinks" then Brasso to get a good end product - this will be soooooooo much easier if you can get them off - if you cant, I would paint the edges and shine the flat surface as IMHO you will damage the paintwork.

Edited by Halsey

Vinegar or tomato ketchup will remove verdigris without too much elbow grease, (the active ingredient is Acetic Acid).

There are also rubberized abrasive blocks, the ones I have are labeled "Garyflex", available in a wide range of grit sizes. Used with soapy water they are very effective on painted surfaces too, well worth their space in the toolbox.

30 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Vinegar or tomato ketchup will remove verdigris without too much elbow grease, (the active ingredient is Acetic Acid).

There are also rubberized abrasive blocks, the ones I have are labeled "Garyflex", available in a wide range of grit sizes. Used with soapy water they are very effective on painted surfaces too, well worth their space in the toolbox.

Agreed, but not lacquer - which looks to be the issue here...……………………………...

Sorry, what am I missing?

If touching up then maybe a "rattle can" after local re-finishing.

If refurbishing then is not clear powder coating available?  The downside being the part has to come off the boat.

Mark you, I'm the last one you should ask about pristine finishes, I have a healthy growth of moss on my car wot I don't never wash!:ninja:

1 hour ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Sorry, what am I missing?

It is the lacquer on the edge of the porthole that has failed, allowing the brass to tarnish. The lacquer on the front is generally fine.