Stoppages, move every 14 days

The Welsh Cruiser

Featured Posts

I'm stuck on the upper Peak Forest. The Macc is closed at Marple, also the lock flight here. So I have 6 1/2 miles to 'operate' in, I can't go anywhere else. There are only a couple of nice mooring spots along this bit of canal and very few boats moving. I don't feel like moving, I'd only be doing so to satisfy regulations rather than as part of a 'bone fide navigation' effort. I'd love to navigate elsewhere but CRT keep kicking the Marple issue into the long grass.

Would you expect CRT to authorise me staying where I am until they update the Marple closure situation. It seems reasonable to me. What do you think? 

9 hours ago, Quaffer said:

I am aware of  the issues at Marple on the Macclesfield Canal,but what is the problem with Marple Locks on the Peak Forest ?

There's nothing on the CRT stoppages page about Marple locks being closed. Is there something the OP knows?

Didn't know Marple locks were closed but I'm on the other side of the Macclesfield closure so can't get onto the Peak Forest. Nowt on stoppages page. However, if someone was genuinely stuck on the Upper Peak, I would think they would still be expected to at least move from Marple, to between Strines and Disley, to between New Mills and Furness,  to somewhere near Whaley and turn around to at least show some attempt to shuffle up and down during those weeks of closure. Pleasant enough mooring spots near all those places.

11 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I'm stuck on the upper Peak Forest. The Macc is closed at Marple, also the lock flight here. So I have 6 1/2 miles to 'operate' in, I can't go anywhere else. There are only a couple of nice mooring spots along this bit of canal and very few boats moving. I don't feel like moving, I'd only be doing so to satisfy regulations rather than as part of a 'bone fide navigation' effort. I'd love to navigate elsewhere but CRT keep kicking the Marple issue into the long grass.

Would you expect CRT to authorise me staying where I am until they update the Marple closure situation. It seems reasonable to me. What do you think? 

Nonsense.  I've moored at least a dozen very pleasant spots on the Upper Peak Forest.   I was going to say 'and a very good choice of pubs, too,' but that's gone down the drain now.

44 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Nonsense.  I've moored at least a dozen very pleasant spots on the Upper Peak Forest.   I was going to say 'and a very good choice of pubs, too,' but that's gone down the drain now.

Furness Vale is nice, but I've just moved from there. Other than that there's the basin at Whaley Bridge, but the coal boat is in permanent residence in 'his' spot. Other than where I am, just south of Disley, there's nowhere on this bit of canal where I can get my motorbike off, and get a phone and internet signal. I need these because I'm shopping for my elderly parents who are self isolating, my dad has suspected corona virus.

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Nearly 7 years and I've managed fine thanks. Can't always legislate for canal stoppages with no end date though, teamed with your dad possibly having a disease that could threaten his life.

Any news on the Marple flight? CRT think it's open.

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I think that's very callous in the circumstances.

4 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

I thought you were better than that.

I don't understand. What's wrong with it? 

The OP has not explained why he can't move 1 km a fortnight on a 6 mile length of canal or why he believes he is locked in, thinking Marple is closed. 

• Greenie 1

I was told by another boater that one of the locks, 5 from memory, was closed for maintenance. Seems that isn't true.

My plan is to go down the Macc when it opens. It wouldn't make any sense to spend 2 days single handing up and down the locks at Marple just for the sake of it or perhaps more accurately, to satisfy a CRT requirement. Let's not forget that you don't need to move every 14 days if circumstances dictate this. The circumstances are that my parents live in Cheshire, going towards Manchester takes me further away. Also, CRT have failed to communicate properly regarding the stoppage at Marple. To delay the announcement of planned action and/ or dates for a week twice, with no stated reason other than that they are waiting for ground survey results is unacceptable, in my view. I'll suggest that if a ground survey is conducted the results are immediate, they do not need to be sent to a laboratory for pathological review.      

4 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I was told by another boater that one of the locks, 5 from memory, was closed for maintenance. Seems that isn't true.

<snip>

Also, CRT have failed to communicate properly regarding the stoppage at Marple.

You regard hearsay from another boater as gospel, and complain that CRT aren't communicating with you?? What world are you living in?CRT are under no obligation to communicate with you. It is your responsibility to check on stoppages which are notified on the CRT website. But you can sign up to CRT emails advising of stoppages and restrictions (and although I am not in the area that is how I am aware that the work at Marple is delayed).

4 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

To delay the announcement of planned action and/ or dates for a week twice, with no stated reason other than that they are waiting for ground survey results is unacceptable, in my view. I'll suggest that if a ground survey is conducted the results are immediate, they do not need to be sent to a laboratory for pathological review.    

In the current circumstances I am not surprised that there may have been a delay in the ground survey results. CRT's activities and those of the survey contractor could well have been delayed by all the coronavirus restrictions, and it may not be long before repair works anywhere grind to a halt.

But even if not CV related there could be other reasons why the survey results are delayed. Perhaps the results were inconclusive and more survey is required. Perhaps the survey identified a bigger problem than expected and heads are now being scratched while possible solutions and maybe additional funding are being identified. In the circumstances weekly updates , even if there is no specific new information, seem reasonable to me.

If you think that your particular circumstances (including the need to support your parents) are grounds to stay put for more than 14 days, then you should discuss that with CRT. It doesn't matter if any of us here think you have a reasonable case, it is CRT you have to convince. 

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Have you discussed your circumstances with the local enforcement officer, you might find it you talk to them they tell you to stay put so you can help care for your father.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This - it matters not what anyone on here thinks - go and ask CRT, and see what they say

IF they are unhelfpul, come back here and ask us if there is anyway we can help enhance your case or if there is anyone else you can turn to for help, but until CRT have been asked then you aren't going anywhere - or rather you are going somewhere every 14 days.