Balanced charging of 8 batteries

ChaCha

Featured Posts

I'm going to give you a typically oblique internet answer. 

It doesn't matter in practice if the batteries are not connected in a theoretically perfect pattern for balanced charging. Provided you are using whopping great fat (technical term) interconnects, the imbalance will be negligible.

As so another great debate re-run kicks off.... 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm going to give you a typically oblique internet answer. 

It doesn't matter in practice if the batteries are not connected in a theoretically perfect pattern for balanced charging. Provided you are using whopping great fat (technical term) interconnects, the imbalance will be negligible.

As so another great debate re-run kicks off.... 

Yep in total agreement in real world useage.

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If the wiring looks good - tidy and symetrical - then it's probably OK.

It's when folks connect with strings of 7 x .029 (ask the senior members what 7/029 is - if anyone's that old...)

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Please sir, please sir, pick me sir...!

could it be 7 stands of 0.029mm ?

Or did you mean 7/0.29 at 0.5mm2 BS6862 Automotive Cables ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

could it be 7 stands of 0.029mm ?

Or did you mean 7/0.29 at 0.5mm2 BS6862 Automotive Cables ?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

More like 2.5mm2

0.5mm2 would be 1/029

No - you're both too young...

In the dark days of yore when electrical meters were mechanical and before 'that lot on the other side of The Sleeve' began to impose their weird way of life and rules, we had cables measure in Imperial units, such a 3/029 and 7/029 - thus the units were decimal INCHES (remember them). None of your silly thin single stranded stuff that can't carry proper current, so you have to wire things in a loop.....

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

In the dark days of yore when electrical meters were mechanical and before 'that lot on the other side of The Sleeve' began to impose their weird way of life and rules, we had cables measure in Imperial units, such a 3/029 and 7/029 - thus the units were decimal INCHES (remember them). None of your silly thin single stranded stuff that can't carry proper current, so you have to wire things in a loop.....

It must be going back a fair time, I was working for a cable company, designing electric cables in the early 70's and we were using SWG and metric wire sizes.

I actually have a couple of cable patents in my name.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It must be going back a fair time, I was working for a cable company, designing electric cables in the early 70's and we were using SWG and metric wire sizes.

I actually have a couple of cable patents in my name.

Ah, Enfield cables of blessed memory. Sheaved in some sort of cheap rubber which was always cracking and failing...

I don't know how far back it goes, but when I were a lad.....

( I remember in the fifties going up to Lyle Street and Tottenhan Court Road surplus shops selling military surplus stuf and electrical junk - so that was when I became slightly familiar with things electrical)

Metric cable was introduced around 1970. I still have odd bits of imperial, in fact came across some 7/.029 this morning. More difficult to install neatly on the surface with clips than 2.5 as it was more flexible.

Richard 

41 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yeah, exactly. And 7/029 equates to about 2.5mm2

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, exactly. And 7/029 equates to about 2.5mm2

Does it?

0.029" dia = 0.0145" radius

PiR2 = csa ISTR

3.14159 x 0.0145 x 0.0145 = 0.00066052 in2

= 0.452614 mm2 per strand.

x 7 strands = 2.98.

Oh yeah, yer right!