How nice is that?

fergyguy

Featured Posts

What a great welcome!! I have to say it's typical of our community (even though there may be a grumpy old fart lurking every now and then!). Welcome to Mercia ? (there is no elbow bump emoticon yet, is there!)

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, fergyguy said:

Well I just have to say having bought my boat yesterday and worked late loading boxes of cloths etc about I returned to Mercia Marina where she’s moored and can honestly say everyone I came in contact with were/are extremely friendly.

The marina office staff were very friendly and helpful but what stuck me most was as I was driving to my mooring everyone walking towards me waved smiled and said hello. Going down the pontoon with the biggest smile on my face a fellow boater popped out his side hatch and shouted “ are you the new boy? Welcome to Mercia “ I think the big daft smile gave me away. 
Having spent all day unboxing and sorting I decided to make my way back to my business here in Sutton in Ashfield but stopped at the super clean toilet block for a Jimmy before the drive back and within seconds of washing my hands ( several times ) I found myself in conversation with a lovely fella in his 80’s who was happy to share some tips and advice as he too lives on a Widebeam. Now yes it was only my first day at Mercia and I’m sure there is bound to be some grumpy old fart I’ll not get on with but hey it’s a promising start to my brand new adventure. Thank you Mercia for making me feel welcome.

You are beginning to understand why we feel sorry for people who have to live in houses for whatever reason ?

18 hours ago, fergyguy said:

Well I just have to say having bought my boat yesterday and worked late loading boxes of cloths etc about I returned to Mercia Marina where she’s moored and can honestly say everyone I came in contact with were/are extremely friendly.

The marina office staff were very friendly and helpful but what stuck me most was as I was driving to my mooring everyone walking towards me waved smiled and said hello. Going down the pontoon with the biggest smile on my face a fellow boater popped out his side hatch and shouted “ are you the new boy? Welcome to Mercia “ I think the big daft smile gave me away. 
Having spent all day unboxing and sorting I decided to make my way back to my business here in Sutton in Ashfield but stopped at the super clean toilet block for a Jimmy before the drive back and within seconds of washing my hands ( several times ) I found myself in conversation with a lovely fella in his 80’s who was happy to share some tips and advice as he too lives on a Widebeam. Now yes it was only my first day at Mercia and I’m sure there is bound to be some grumpy old fart I’ll not get on with but hey it’s a promising start to my brand new adventure. Thank you Mercia for making me feel welcome.

This is why I always welcome newbies by saying "welcome to the wonderful world of boating".

With very few exceptions, the boating community is extremely friendly.

• Love 1

I don’t know Steve Haywood. I have not knowingly met Steve Haywood. Steve Haywood made an error. He seems a proud bloke, too proud to apologise and recognise his error.

For what I have seen of the unmentioned incident, it would appear Mr Haywood was in the wrong. The situation wasn’t handled very well. 

I have met others that have met him and some have said he’s quite a nice bloke.

Is it time to cut some slack?

17 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Until you get on the wrong side of him it seems.

On the other hand, no one person is 100% bad. Or 100% good.

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I don’t know Steve Haywood. I have not knowingly met Steve Haywood. Steve Haywood made an error. He seems a proud bloke, too proud to apologise and recognise his error.

For what I have seen of the unmentioned incident, it would appear Mr Haywood was in the wrong. The situation wasn’t handled very well. 

Is it time to cut some slack?

its easy to be nice to friends, the real character shows in adversity.

what I understand, its not just a random incident, it seems he champions gentlemanly behaviour yet misrepresented the incident until the video surfaced... its like finding a video of Corbyn abusing a homeless dude and lying about the incident and then refusing to apologize.

(not saying people should not forgive him just that there is a good reason why people, who dont know him personally, have low opinion of him)

15 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

not saying people should not forgive him just that there is a good reason why people, who dont know him personally, have low opinion of him

Taking a look at his Twitter feed proves interesting too. Retiring and considerate aren’t two adjectives I’d choose to describe him.