Boat Safety and Coronavirus

StephenA

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But an "All hose" system is not the same thing as a rigid system with final connection to fixed appliances with a flexible hose. 

But that was not the question, David asked :

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does the BSS allow flexible hoses for connections to fixed built in appliances? I thought they are only to be used for portable appliances (which also require a chain or similar to prevent the hose taking any load).

The answer is yes, and you can use hose from gas cylinder to appliance.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that was not the question, David asked :

The answer is yes, and you can use hose from gas cylinder to appliance.

Now you're just being awkward. You know perfectly well what he meant.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now you're just being awkward. You know perfectly well what he meant.

As I am sure you were just being awkward when you replied in a post to @Jennifer McM

Oh dear, another one who can't tell the difference between a figure going down, and the the rate of increase in that figure going down.

Pot / Kettle ?

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As I am sure you were just being awkward when you replied in a post to @Jennifer McM

Oh dear, another one who can't tell the difference between a figure going down, and the the rate of increase in that figure going down.

Pot / Kettle ?

Not really. Its another of my hobby horses.

Person A: I see inflation has fallen for the third month in a row.

Person B: It can't have done, the cost of my weekly Tesco shopping is still going up.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Does the BSS allow flexible hoses for connections to fixed built in appliances? I thought they are only to be used for portable appliances (which also require a chain or similar to prevent the hose taking any load).

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think the BSS is silent on the point.

I agree with Mike.  Nowhere does it stop you making the final connection to (say) an inbuilt hob in a flexible pipe, provided there is an isolation valve where it joins the rigid pipework.

Our last boat had such an arrangement, and three different examiners never made any adverse comment about it.

Re Literal interpretation:  When last I looked (several years ago) the maximum length of an appliance gas hose (the one with the twist connector) allowed was 3 ft.  Now they are supplied as standard at 1M.  A literal test would fail, commonsense ones do (did) not.  Similarly the rule about a red stripe IIRC.

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Re Literal interpretation:  When last I looked (several years ago) the maximum length of an appliance gas hose (the one with the twist connector) allowed was 3 ft.  Now they are supplied as standard at 1M.  A literal test would fail, commonsense ones do (did) not.  Similarly the rule about a red stripe IIRC.

The BSS was updated to 1 metre several years ago.

It was 1 metre in the 2013 issue of the BSS

Edited by Alan de Enfield

31 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS was updated to 1 metre several years ago.

It was 1 metre in the 2013 issue of the BSS

I'm surprised it was that long ago. It caused me a problem at the time, having 3 of them!  But the example still stands. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derek Porteous said:

Is there any update on the current situation for boats that are due a BSS? I have a couple of months before mine is due, but have had a reminder from CRT.

Currently suspended until the 14th April. I spoke to my examiner a few days ago and he thinks there will be a six month extension but not sure from what date.

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Currently suspended until the 14th April. I spoke to my examiner a few days ago and he thinks there will be a six month extension but not sure from what date.

Seems reasonable, given they have done the same for MOTs.

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I have the same date mid April date from my surveyor, who was advised to hold on any further BSS surveys  a few days before he was due to do ours.

I am not in any rush as we are not going anywhere and not even visiting the boat despite it being close to home.

MOt test on cars have been extended. so it would make sense to do similar for BSS as there will be a backlog  building up followed by  a mad rush when we can all get back to boating. I would have thought extending BSS certs by a year would be a wise move.

It's not like there are a surplus of  surveyors anyway .

• 2 weeks later...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

"With Government today (16 April 2020) extending the Coronavirus lockdown period to 9 May 2020, the Canal & River Trust is accordingly extending the suspension of the normal requirement for boats to move every 14 days to 9 May.  During this period, boaters do not need to contact us to tell us they will be staying in one location for more than 14 days."

"Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on 23 March 2020 regarding the UK’s response to the coronavirus crisis, the joint owners of the Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) allowed a temporary extension to safety certificates for those craft requiring an examination before 14 April 2020. This date is now extended until the end of the month, 11 May 2020."

So canals re-open on Sat 9th. Certs must all be done by COB on Monday 11th.

At last, towards the end of last week, a chap from the BSS rang me back. He talked a lot of sense, the gist of which was, don't worry, we are being sensible about the situation. He told me that, while restrictions remain in force, the lack of a BSC would not prevent us getting a new licence or renewing our insurance. I feel most reassured now.

What needs to be sorted is how long there will be for renewing once restrictions are lifted. Not everyone will be able to renew on day 1 as there will be loads that have lapsed during the closedown I expect.  Not knowing when restrictions will be lifted means you can't book an examiner in preparation either.

Our examiner reckoned there would be 6 months grace period but I've not seen anything to say that officially.

• 3 weeks later...

When you look at the specs for a regulator they will tell you how much gas it is designed to pass per hour or minute.  If your current set up works OK, look up your existing regulator, and its flow rate, then get one that has a bigger flow rate.

Otherwise you need to work out the flat out gas consumption of each appliance, from the manual or the rating plate, then add them all up and get a regulator that passes more gas than that.

Alternatively, ask the competent person who you are  going to use to fit the new regulator to provide one that is the right size.

N

BSS exam completed yesterday and certificate issued today. Pass with no comments , which is always a relief. Already registered and recognised on the C&RT website.

So just letting people know  the BSS are permitting action by the surveyors

I did not attend for the examination and in fact have never been present for a BSS exam despite having 4 previously. We had to agree to keep away from the boat  two days before the exam and stay away  two days after as an anti-Covid precaution...which is not a problem.

Just need to consult with my financial expert  to pay for it?

Being a boat safety examiner myself I am still waiting for the go-ahead to restart the examination process.

The BSS office as of 1.30pm today (Tuesday) could not tell me when we could restart.

So I wonder who this examiner would be when he wasn't supposed to be doing them.

I suppose the post could be fake news.

11 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

Being a boat safety examiner myself I am still waiting for the go-ahead to restart the examination process.

The BSS office as of 1.30pm today (Tuesday) could not tell me when we could restart.

So I wonder who this examiner would be when he wasn't supposed to be doing them.

As I take it you are self employed and the BS have not furlond you how can they stop you doing examinations

35 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

It certainly isn't fake news.

As proof check my boat on the BSS system to which you presumably have access .........White Angel  , Index 109615  date of BSS expiry 11th May  2024 ....and report back.