Boat Safety and Coronavirus

StephenA

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I think someone in C&RT is going to regret this.

image.png.3e2d5b606f6289bae0685eb93f4d4981.png

Certainly not a well thought out statement, similar to the response I received via email when I asked the question using their online contact form.

45 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I think someone in C&RT is going to regret this.

image.png.3e2d5b606f6289bae0685eb93f4d4981.png

In my case a 480 mile round trip to a closed marina, who don't want vistors and have no keys to the boat. somehow I doubt the government will see this as a 'health and safety essential trip'. Fortunately the license is renewed 3 months before the Bss.

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

Hopefully C &RT will make a statement soon allowing the current BSS to be extended for a few months. It has been done for vehicles and caravans, why not boats?

haggis

They have currently made the statement Stephan has posted above and said that going to your boat for the BSS would be an essential journey and to let them know if the police stop you and say different.  I think somebody somewhere in CRT doesn't have a clue what is going on across the country.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Hopefully the police will understand that if I get stopped driving to our boat.  I'll give my examiner a call to see if he is still working.

image.png.feff7423cf64f4f603f361f0bb46b8b2.png

Given that just about everyone outside of the boating community has no idea about the BSS I somehow doubt that the average policeman will understand and to be honest I think I'd have a problem understanding how a 200 mile (or more ) round trip can be seen as essential in any form whatsoever.  I do know that my employer is issuing letters to all members of staff who have to travel into work (We have government contracts) so if they get stopped they have proof.

1 minute ago, StephenA said:

image.png.feff7423cf64f4f603f361f0bb46b8b2.png

Given that just about everyone outside of the boating community has no idea about the BSS I somehow doubt that the average policeman will understand and to be honest I think I'd have a problem understanding how a 200 mile (or more ) round trip can be seen as essential in any form whatsoever.  I do know that my employer is issuing letters to all members of staff who have to travel into work (We have government contracts) so if they get stopped they have proof.

My wife is the same, she has a letter from her employer to say she is undertaking an essential journey.

I was going to put that on the Facebook comments to see if CRT were going to issue letters to all those who have a BSS due to say it is an essential journey.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Do all navigation authorities require a BSS?  I think the answer is no (not sure) 

The Trent below Gainsbourough a the Humber do not require a BSS or river license . Nor does the sea.

Just now, Rob-M said:

My wife is the same, she has a letter from her employer to say she is undertaking an essential journey.

I was going to put that on the Facebook comments to see if CRT were going to issue letters to all those who have a BSS due to say it is an essential journey.

I like the "If you do get stopped, let us know". Right - so they want me to take all the risk, accept the fine and then tell them that they were wrong?

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

The Trent below Gainsbourough a the Humber do not require a BSS or river license . Nor does the sea.

Nor, to the best of my knowledge, does the Middle Level. Plans to make them requirements from April 1st have been postponed until September.

Our boat is in Belgium, no BSS there but subject to spot checks by the police (which I doubt we will see many of for a while)

Boating has been banned for the duration.

However we have had some good news about the waterways licence which normally runs from 1st April to 31st March. (which incidentally costs about a quarter of what we would pay in England)

"PROHIBITION OF RECREATION AND MEASURES FOR WATER SPORTS
In accordance with the federal and Flemish Covid-19 measures, any form of recreational navigation (both in group and individual) is prohibited on all navigable and non-navigable waterways in Flanders. It is also not possible to practice water sports.

The date on which the new waterways permit will become applicable will be postponed from April 1 to a later (yet to be determined) date. As soon as possible, this page will provide more information about the new date and the associated measures for the waterway permits already purchased."

On 24/03/2020 at 08:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

My suspicion is these concerns about expiring BSS tickets will seem laughably trivial in two or three week's time, given the likely trajectory of CV19 through the population. 

Maybe so, but not a patch on the triviality of requiring a BSC at all at this time.

15 minutes ago, nigel carton said:

I can confirm that all inspection work is postponed until the 14th of April.

I feel this may be extended.

please stay safe 

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/about-us/news-and-press-releases/news-releases/nr20-001-covid-19-bss-temporary-suspension/?fbclid=IwAR1CkzpkpeDQAiY_eKmNazu_39_7OFbMBVOahjxId9TEcWrtsPB4xPiPjsI

My surveyor phoned today to say he would not be able to do the survey which was planned for the weekend.

This is despite the fact our boat has had no one aboard since last weekend so it would be safe for him. It would be safe for us if we should leave it a few days after the survey  before we visit the boat again.

For me this is not an issue . 

For liveaboards I say don't worry about it as there are more important things to worry about .

The BSS  test freeze  to mid April shows a lack of judgement of the upcoming crisis which the evidence suggests  is going to get much worse  than it is now. 

4 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The BSS  test freeze  to mid April shows a lack of judgement of the upcoming crisis which the evidence suggests  is going to get much worse  than it is now. 

Don't you think its just a stop gap while they get something better sorted

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Don't you think its just a stop gap while they get something better sorted

No.    I  think the BSS is an idiotic scheme  run by idiots .

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

55 minutes ago, MartynG said:

No.    I  think the BSS is an idiotic scheme  run by idiots .

I don't agree that it is an idiotic scheme run by idiots, but it certainly is a not a properly functioning scheme and could be a much better safety-tool.

It is poorly administered, the individual examiners are allowed to interpret things as they see fit, and to 'invent' requirements that are not in the check list, and to not check things that are in the check list.

There is no accountability, and any complaints or questioning of examiners, results in no apparent action and certainly no feedback.

It would be interesting to see what the 'accident' rate of leisure boats subject to the BSSC requirements is compared to coastal leisure boats.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't agree that it is an idiotic scheme run by idiots, but it certainly is a not a properly functioning scheme and could be a much better safety-tool.

It is poorly administered, the individual examiners are allowed to interpret things as they see fit, and to 'invent' requirements that are not in the check list, and to not check things that are in the check list.

There is no accountability, and any complaints or questioning of examiners, results in no apparent action and certainly no feedback.

It would be interesting to see what the 'accident' rate of leisure boats subject to the BSSC requirements is compared to coastal leisure boats.

Okay I had a drink before  I wrote that .

But you seem to be backing me up.