Boat Safety and Coronavirus

StephenA

Featured Posts

I had my BSS done yesterday - I was not aware that the advance period was anything other than one month. Indeed the examiner thought that he could do the examination up to four months (and not two as mentioned elsewhere) - so there's confusion everywhere...

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I had my BSS done yesterday - I was not aware that the advance period was anything other than one month. Indeed the examiner thought that he could do the examination up to four months (and not two as mentioned elsewhere) - so there's confusion everywhere...

2 months https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/arranging-the-examination/advance-booking-examinations/

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ah, yes - I'm now aware of that and so the examiner will be when he completes what in olden times would be classified as "paper work".

Late autumn might have pleasant (OK most of the work is 'indoors'), but in gloomy January - I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

As it was, yesterday was very pleasant, no foul weater for either of us to motor through and the promise of some plague or other had kept the motorways traffic almost bearable.

We are being advised to avoid all non esential contact. I will be doing that.

20 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I wonder if your examiner is up to speed on safety rules.

13 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

A BSS examination is nothing to do with insurance companies, it is purely for the navigation authorities.

Hmmmmmmm………. until you try and make a claim ???????

Why do so many people leave stuff too late and why do we always look to situations like this to get away with something that is common sense and for our own safety - I know the outcome of a BSS can (like an MOT) be a problem for many but that's not a reason for trying to get out of it??

Surely its sensible to assume that a boat that hasn't got a BSS will be regarded as failing in some "catch all phrase" sense by an insurance company as not being well maintained/seaworthy etc etc 

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

A BSS examination is nothing to do with insurance companies, it is purely for the navigation authorities.

So why have I been asked on insurance proposal forms if the boat has a current BSC?

Maybe the insurer thinks a boat that meets the basic BSS safety requirements is less of a risk and so offers a lower premium.

Edited by David Mack

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So why have I been asked on insurance proposal forms if the boat has a current BSC?

Maybe the insurer thinks a boat that meets the basic BSS safety requirements is less of a risk and so offers a lower premium.

Some insurers say that a boat must have a BSSC, some don't.

My insurer used to require it, when I changed, it went to one that didn't require one.

45 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Hmmmmmmm………. until you try and make a claim ???????

Why do so many people leave stuff too late and why do we always look to situations like this to get away with something that is common sense and for our own safety - I know the outcome of a BSS can (like an MOT) be a problem for many but that's not a reason for trying to get out of it??

Surely its sensible to assume that a boat that hasn't got a BSS will be regarded as failing in some "catch all phrase" sense by an insurance company as not being well maintained/seaworthy etc etc 

That is how I see it. The same applies to surveys - some do not require a survey for fully comprehensive cover but if the boat sank through what was perceived as lack of maintenance that would be the end of it.

Edited by Traveller
fat fingers
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Having a canal  license is not a condition of insurance. 

There is usually a warranty of legality clause in policies, meaning that your boat must comply with any relevant legal requirements, which could include BSS and licence. Insurers will usually check this. If you are with a good insurer then any variation from this might not affect your claim, unless of course there was a direct causal link between lack of BSS and incident causation. With some cheaper and less reputable insurers they might (and do) use the clause as an excuse to decline the claim.

6 minutes ago, Traveller said:

That is how I see it. The same applies to surveys - some do not require a survey for fully comprehensive cover but if the boat sank through what was perceived as lack of maintenance that would be the end of it.

Be careful! Some insurers do not require sight of a survey before policy inception, but they do require that a recent survey be in the possession of the assured.

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

I reckon that with the predicted total breakdown of ordinary life going unlicensed for a few months would be the least of anyone's worries considering the fact that huge swathes of the population are going to wake up at night struggling to breathe. 

Pneumonia is really nasty as anyone who has had it badly will know. 

Huge swathes? :banghead:

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, Balliol said:

Be careful! Some insurers do not require sight of a survey before policy inception, but they do require that a recent survey be in the possession of the assured.

From recollection my SAGA insurance  said something like "If your boat already has a current survey, you will not be required to have a any further surveys unless your boat is what is known as a Springer"

Its possible  my insurers know what a BSS is.

A certificate that is refreshed  every 4 years is of little or no value .

My BSS has expired and awaiting a fresh survey . The boat is also unlicensed and off water . I don't expect my insurers to complain about it. Nor do I  expect to need any work done to pass the fresh BSS test .

17 hours ago, dmr said:

Is it rude to ask the BSS man to wash his hands before we let him in? ?

Of course it isn't. We are all going to have to become a lot more pragmatic in the next few months.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I was not aware that the advance period was anything other than one month.

Ignorance of the law the rules is no excuse. It's the same idea as getting your car MoT done, but it happens every four years instead of annually, so why would anyone assume the advance period was the same?

18 hours ago, dmr said:

Is it rude to ask the BSS man to wash his hands before we let him in? ?

You could always tell him that nice Mr Johnson wants him to work from home, so you'll describe your boat to him over the phone.  You might even get a reduction because he won't have to charge for travel.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

You could always tell him that nice Mr Johnson wants him to work from home, so you'll describe your boat to him over the phone.  You might even get a reduction because he won't have to charge for travel.

Interesting idea actually,  except for the gas leakage test and possibly security of pipes and cables, the BSS could be done remotely with a mobile phone video link. Possible business opportunity here ?.

.................Dave

CRT have this covered...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

My boat safety scheme certificate is due. What does the Government advice mean for renewal?

All the Navigation Authorities covered by the boat safety scheme agree that it is essential that it continues to protect the physical safety of those around the waterways. The scheme will continue to apply to all appropriate craft on their navigations. Examiners and others involved with the delivery of the scheme will be given further advice. The scheme is following Government guidance and advice will be updated accordingly.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't forget to implement the changes to the BSS that came into effect 12 months ago, or, you may get a 'fail'.

Ample CO alarms on board . One had reached its expiry date and I bought two new alarms recently.

Also fitted a new smoke alarm as the non replaceable battery on the last one expired 5 years before its due date . I think a smoke alarm is not mandatory for the BSS.

Boat is  very clean and tidy with easy access to the necessary  areas - not a requirement but I think it helps .

The boat has had a BSS certificate previously and last  time by the same surveyor. I have added equipment eg a new VHF but nothing relevant to the BSS.

Extinguishers all showing okay .

Fire blanket in place .

No petrol on board.

No oil or fuel leaks.

Gas system seems okay .

Any thing else I should know about?

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Ample CO alarms on board . One had reached its expiry date and I bought two new alarms recently.

Also fitted a new smoke alarm as the non replaceable battery on the last one expired 5 years before its due date . I think a smoke alarm is not mandatory for the BSS.

Boat is  very clean and tidy with easy access to the necessary  areas - not a requirement but I think it helps .

The boat has had a BSS certificate previously and last  time by the same surveyor. I have added equipment eg a new VHF but nothing relevant to the BSS.

Extinguishers all showing okay .

Fire blanket in place .

No petrol on board.

No oil or fuel leaks.

Gas system seems okay .

Any thing else I should know about?

Sounds like you have got it covered.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I was about to say the same! (One of the few members here that we have actually met)

Yes we have met Jennifer, her husband and Rusty the GSD, plus a quite a few other members as they have passed our house.