Middle Level Licencing arrangements

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

If it is on the door Nbfiresprite I have not seen it and that on its own is not enough anyway. Not every boat owner comes to the yard regularly or visits the office when they do. I had a mooring invoice from Fox's today - why did they not include a copy? Seems a perfectly sensible approach to me. And, presumably all this was thrown together (and that is how it appears) without any thought to adverse circumstances such as those discussed earlier. Perhaps the Commisiioners would like to go away and start again (if they ever really started) ?

Edited by Traveller

I have just rung the MLC and spoken to Kev Russell who is in charge of the licensing, although he has only been in that post for about 3 weeks. He has been to the marinas telling them to inform boaters about licensing and is equally frustrated about the lack of communication/website. I explained that I was likely to leave for the main system as soon as possible as it is no longer financially or practically sensible to remain on the middle levels. His advice was to keep my head down and leave without bothering with a license . He was responsible for taking action and wouldn't. 

I know this is not in writing and not official but he came across as someone I could trust and took my name if any call was made from Stanground on leaving without a license.

8 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

I have just rung the MLC and spoken to Kev Russell who is in charge of the licensing, although he has only been in that post for about 3 weeks. He has been to the marinas telling them to inform boaters about licensing and is equally frustrated about the lack of communication/website. I explained that I was likely to leave for the main system as soon as possible as it is no longer financially or practically sensible to remain on the middle levels. His advice was to keep my head down and leave without bothering with a license . He was responsible for taking action and wouldn't. 

I know this is not in writing and not official but he came across as someone I could trust and took my name if any call was made from Stanground on leaving without a license.

Good result, but honestly what a way to run a business! I shall have to ring him myself I guess but do now fear for the Levels and therefore places like Fox's. What is the point of paying an EA size fee for absolutely nothing. When I was looking at mooring fees up at Crick it turns out it would cost me about £30 a month more than Fox's. The ML licence fee when added to Fox's mooring rates makes for bad news for the ML I feel. It quite probably destroys Fox's (and others) pricing model.

Just a quick question, a license will be required to traverse the Nene. What will that cost?

7 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Good result, but honestly what a way to run a business! I shall have to ring him myself I guess but do now fear for the Levels and therefore places like Fox's. What is the point of paying an EA size fee for absolutely nothing. When I was looking at mooring fees up at Crick it turns out it would cost me about £30 a month more than Fox's. The ML licence fee when added to Fox's mooring rates makes for bad news for the ML I feel. It quite probably destroys Fox's (and others) pricing model.

Just a quick question, a license will be required to traverse the Nene. What will that cost?

Either buy three daily tickets  or a weekly one if planning to take more than three days to Northampton, Cost depend on length 48ft, daily £15.20 per day, Weekly 62.82

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/anglian-waterways-registration-charges/anglian-boat-registration-charges-1-april-2020-to-31-march-2021 

2 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Either buy three daily tickets  or a weekly one if planning to take more than three days to Northampton, Cost depend on length 48ft, daily £15.20 per day, Weekly 62.82

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/anglian-waterways-registration-charges/anglian-boat-registration-charges-1-april-2020-to-31-march-2021 

Thank you. That helps ?

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Kevin's contact details are as follows:

kevin.russell@middlelevel.gov.uk

01354 653232

Thanks already have them, But being only next door, I just popped round,

When I  asked about the registration charge for residential boats moored permanently in marinas. Was told that he would will phone me in the morning after I pointed out their undertaking to HoL committee on the subject (I had a copy of the letter to Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd with me) It would seem that no fee has been set,

He seem think  that it would be the same as the EA houseboat license.  Which for me would be £486.54, I'm aready paying council tax on the mooring as it is. 

The current cost of registering a recreational vessel on the Small Ship Register is £35 for five (5) years, so the MLC fee should be about the same. The Poole Harbour Commissoners first time registration fee is only £25

On 18/03/2020 at 09:45, mikedel said:

If you do any cruising outside the Middle Levels it looks like the CRT Gold Licence is the way to go. However on reading it again I see that if you are based on the Middle Levels then you are required to buy an extra licence to cover those waters and the Gold Licence only covers boats based outside of the ML 

I have explicitly checked with MLC: a Gold License does cover permanent mooring on the Middle Levels. The documentation is a bit confusing .

Edited by NBDensie
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, NBDensie said:

I have explicitly checked with MLC: a Gold License does cover permanent mooring on the Middle Levels. The documentation is a bit confusing as it has "and"s and an "or", it is not clear whether the "or" applies to all the "and"s or just the final one.

Well that changes things - I would be happy to pay for the Gold Licence if it does cover the ML as well. We usually cover a fair bit of ground over the summer on CRT and EA waters so it would simplify the whole exercise.

• Greenie 1

Just had a call back from the Middle Level regarding registration charge for houseboats moored permanently in marinas or private water. There is no charge for this year, The moorling has to be on the council tax valuation list and you pay council tax on that mooring to quafile 

Good work from nbfiresprite - and better late than never from the MLC.

They may need a gentle reminder about some of the other undertakings they gave to the Lords, not least the commitment to publish all the undertakings they gave on their website:

pub.JPG.55f68d72a4b8d88a024a34873ec0d952.JPG

1 minute ago, erivers said:

Good work from nbfiresprite - and better late than never from the MLC.

They may need a gentle reminder about some of the other undertakings they gave to the Lords, not least the commitment to publish all the undertakings they gave on their website:

pub.JPG.55f68d72a4b8d88a024a34873ec0d952.JPG

Thats why a visit in person is often more effected to get things done. Shame that I cannot do that with the council tax office.  

• Greenie 1

It seems some marinas have started to close insofar as non residential owners have been asked to leave and to stay away until this is over. Is there anyone here who has some inside track on what might be happening at Fox's? I need to pick some stuff up from the boat and secure it if it is going to be left for a while but am reluctant to phone the office as I might set things off prematurely.

Edited by Traveller
fat fingers

34 minutes ago, Traveller said:

It seems some marinas have started to close insofar as none residential owners have been asked to leave and to stay away until this is over. Is there anyone here who has some inside track on what might be happening at Fox's? I need to pick some stuff up from the boat and secure it if it is going to be left for a while but am reluctant to phone the office as I might set things off prematurely.

some? or non?

31 minutes ago, Traveller said:

It seems some marinas have started to close insofar as none residential owners have been asked to leave and to stay away until this is over. Is there anyone here who has some inside track on what might be happening at Fox's? I need to pick some stuff up from the boat and secure it if it is going to be left for a while but am reluctant to phone the office as I might set things off prematurely.

You need to contact the Office between 9am and 10am by phone to arrange pump-out, fuel, and coal (Payment by card only). Post will be placed in your box or if package larger than box, it will be left in the old phone box at at set time that you arrange before hand. You can access your boat at the current time.  

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

some? or non?

all non residential boat owners have been asked to leave...... Just a typo. They happen.

36 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

You need to contact the Office between 9am and 10am by phone to arrange pump-out, fuel, and coal (Payment by card only). Post will be placed in your box or if package larger than box, it will be left in the old phone box at at set time that you arrange before hand. You can access your boat at the current time.  

Best bet is things will change after BoJo's latest. How good are they in keeping an eye on boats left unattended for long periods.? Not something I have ever witnessed but things could have changed over the years. 

Edited by Traveller
Addition

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

all non residential boat owners have been asked to leave...... Just a typo. They happen.

Best bet is things will change after BoJo's latest.

The notice only went up on the gates at bout 8pm tonight. I arrived back just as they were beening put up.

Just now, nbfiresprite said:

But a lockdown has been expected for a number of days. The marina has planned a system of working to prevent contact between moorers and staff.

Yes but it is the extent of the lockdown. Traveling down to the boat is now not on. Presumably that is why the Castle Marina Group has acted like it has - no non-residents on site until this is over. Fox's will need the procedures it has posted to service the live-aboard community.

3 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Update from Kevin Russell at the Middle Level, Start of registration and licensing moved from April 1st to September 1st 

Thanks for that. Spoke to Kevin yesterday re a)the virus and b) not being able to pass through last year or this so far and having purchased a Gold License specifically to pass through last year. He said the MLC are taking a relaxed view and not to worry. Still believe something more formal would be appropriate but maybe by Sept I will have been able to escape!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Update from Kevin Russell at the Middle Level, Start of registration and licensing moved from April 1st to September 1st 

Perhaps by then the MLC will even have the legal powers to impose registration charges as their application made in October 2019 for confirmation of their byelaws will have been approved by the Secretary of State (as required by Part 2, Section 11(9) of the Middle Level Act 2018).

(9)

Byelaws made by the Commissioners under this section, section 12, or under
section 51 of the Middle Level Act 1874, do not have effect until they are

confirmed by the Secretary of State, and section 236 of the Local Government
Act 1972 (procedure for byelaws) applies to their confirmation, as if the
Commissioners were a local authority.

Edited by erivers

3 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Good news as it is likely to be several months before I can get to the boat. Fingers crossed that the lockdown might be over by then ( and the Nene out of flood)