Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, haggis said:

Also, if you get the virus and need hospitalised you are using NHS resources which could be used for local people.

I'm not sure I buy that. By being in a different area you are lightening the load by a similar amount on the area you came from.

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

I saw a good argument against canal boating recently. It applied to caravanners and day trippers too. It said that by going into another area unnecessarily you could possibly introduce the virus and local people could be affected.

^^^This^^^

This on the other hand is EXACTLY why to stop boating. Travelling is what spreads the virus around. Travelling is how it got here in the first place. We MUST stop travelling about. ALL OF US. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure I buy that. By being in a different area you are lightening the load by a similar amount on the area you came f

Yes, that's right but the point was that with resources being scarce you might deprive a local person of , say, a ventilator. In other words stay at home and use your own NHS resources

Haggis

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

I saw a good argument against canal boating recently. It applied to caravanners and day trippers too. It said that by going into another area unnecessarily you could possibly introduce the virus and local people could be affected. Also, if you get the virus and need hospitalised you are using NHS resources which could be used for local people. That was enough to make us decide not to go boating and to stay at home.

Haggis

Good on you Haggis . Enforcement Patrols have now ceased so it wont be long before most CC Liveaboards are static too

59 minutes ago, haggis said:

Also, if you get the virus and need hospitalised you are using NHS resources which could be used for local people.

That is more of an issue if hoards of second home or campervan owners descend on the southwest or the Highlands and Islands, than if a few narrowboaters cruise up and down the New Main Line.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That is more of an issue if hoards of second home or campervan owners descend on the southwest or the Highlands and Islands, than if a few narrowboaters cruise up and down the New Main Line.

Unfortunately, government will only have a sledge hammer to use to crack this particular nut.

Our boat is about ten minutes drive from our house and I need meet nobody during the drive and short walk to it, (with dog). So we remain in the same health authority, and make a trip that would be allowed for dog walking and exercise, but will almost certainly be deprived of the pleasure of just "being on the boat" over the next few days.

Over the years, we have actually used the boat to self isolate from each other when one of us has had an illness, (flu, colds, shingles), so I think it actually reduces the risks of transmission.

However, given that the public have been asked to use their own initiative, based upon the advice given, and many have either been naive, or irresponsible, "we are where we are", as they say :( 

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Our boat is about ten minutes drive from our house and I need meet nobody during the drive and short walk to it, (with dog). So we remain in the same health authority, and make a trip that would be allowed for dog walking and exercise, but will almost certainly be deprived of the pleasure of just "being on the boat" over the next few days.

Yes similar thing here. Seems I am allowed to walk along the towpath past my boat on it's CRT mooring, and even enjoy looking at it as I pass, but I may not go aboard as that would count as 'visiting' it. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes similar thing here. Seems I am allowed to walk along the towpath past my boat on it's CRT mooring, and even enjoy looking at it as I pass, but I may not go aboard as that would count as 'visiting' it. 

There is talk here that Trafford Council may close the towpath, (Bridgewater Canal, so Peel, not CRT). Perhaps because it is so narrow that a 2m distance is not possible when people are passing each other.

Having said that, our moorings are on the off side behind a locked gate, so no need to go anywhere near the towpath. 

5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

There is talk here that Trafford Council may close the towpath, (Bridgewater Canal, so Peel, not CRT). Perhaps because it is so narrow that a 2m distance is not possible when people are passing each other.

Having said that, our moorings are on the off side behind a locked gate, so no need to go anywhere near the towpath. 

I'm all for being sensible and avoiding contact but really I can't see any issue with a 10min drive to your boat and staying overnight, particularly as yours is being a locked gate.

39 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Unfortunately, government will only have a sledge hammer to use to crack this particular nut.

Over the years, we have actually used the boat to self isolate from each other when one of us has had an illness, (flu, colds, shingles), so I think it actually reduces the risks of transmission.

However, given that the public have been asked to use their own initiative, based upon the advice given, and many have either been naive, or irresponsible, "we are where we are", as they say :( 

We left our boat on Sunday, only spoke to the chap on the next boat who kindly resecured our boat when a mooring line broke in the storm. We then drove all the way home to Suffolk, stopping in a layby to eat food we had with us. we didn't speak to anyone all the way home. Best journey ever down the M6 and A14

2 hours ago, haggis said:

I saw a good argument against canal boating recently. It applied to caravanners and day trippers too. It said that by going into another area unnecessarily you could possibly introduce the virus and local people could be affected. Also, if you get the virus and need hospitalised you are using NHS resources which could be used for local people. That was enough to make us decide not to go boating and to stay at home.

Haggis

Yes this is true (and is also referring to shops struggling to cope too). Few canals are really in remote areas that have limited resources. Saw a ridiculous post on london boaters facebook where someone was complaining about boats heading out of central London to the suburbs for this reason. However this obviously only applies to leisure boating by people who have a primary residence elsewhere. Some degree of navigation is going to be needed so liveaboards don't have to raft up on water points and spread virus to everyone! Nevermind getting to diesel and pump out if the lockdown goes on ages.

On a separate note have emailed CRT to ask about feasibility of them making some kind of list of the places navigation is likely to be suspended first so boaters are forewarned (eg summit pounds that need pumps or places where boaters can't self operate)?

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I'm all for being sensible and avoiding contact but really I can't see any issue with a 10min drive to your boat and staying overnight, particularly as yours is being a locked gate.

I'm hoping not. I suppose it depends what the actual advice/rule is, and how much I might not want any confrontation with someone advising or enforcing. Hard to see me being put in the slammer for it... although that's not necessarily the point.

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

Not sure what it is with ASDA and milk, not seen any shortage of milk in any of the others, but the one time we have been to ASDA in the last month there was no milk.

Bizarre really considering that the name stands for Associated Dairies.

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

Not sure what it is with ASDA and milk, not seen any shortage of milk in any of the others, but the one time we have been to ASDA in the last month there was no milk.

It is bizarre as they were Associated Daries, I did advise them to make contracts direct with farmers, but they may have decided to buy on the commodity market instead. Anyway, cows will not stop milk production, natural peak is May.

Edited by LadyG

From this evening people must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.

Shops selling non-essential goods will also be shut and gatherings in public of more than two people who do not live together prohibited.

So I guess C&RT are going to have to make a lot of short term changes.

4 hours ago, Dave123 said:

On a separate note have emailed CRT to ask about feasibility of them making some kind of list of the places navigation is likely to be suspended first so boaters are forewarned (eg summit pounds that need pumps or places where boaters can't self operate)?

Whats wrong with using the existing stoppage notice system?

Email from Richard Parry this morning.

Quote:

As a result, and to help those who live-aboard (along with those who would need to travel to their boat in order to move it) we are suspending the requirement to move every 14 days. The suspension will be kept under review in line with revised government guidance, applying initially until 14 April.

So that questioned is answered.

Jen

On 17/03/2020 at 13:09, Ray T said:

This self isolation business is easy. Leave house, get in car, drive to marina and get in boat. Don’t need to have contact with any one. ?

Not allowed in Spain OR. France

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not sure I buy that. By being in a different area you are lightening the load by a similar amount on the area you came from.

^^^This^^^

This on the other hand is EXACTLY why to stop boating. Travelling is what spreads the virus around. Travelling is how it got here in the first place. We MUST stop travelling about. ALL OF US. 

Too late. The gross geographical spread of the virus has happened, that boat has sailed. What matters now is, as far as possible not being in a position to transmit the virus to or from anyone you're not already sleeping with. Travelling 200 miles in car and then seeing no-one is better than not travelling and touching 2 new people.

MP.