Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I think it is a good question to ask CRT, as how can this not happen, and soon.  They can not just let people on boats be still moving around when everyone else is confined to their home.

Why not? Did you read what I wrote? 

That idea that one has to identify as a high risk liveaboard, I'm not sure if it is of benefit to me. Why do they want to know?

PS no deliveries, ASDA, Tesco, Morissons. I'm considering my own brewing/distilling, as there is nothing much to do .... Sun: started a bit of painting.

Mon:  tie a battery down for BSC, cycle to Screwfix for masks.

Tue: cycle to Lidl for beer, buy fresh flowers.

I stayed on boat today, spoke to no one, it's an existance, never again.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Why not? Did you read what I wrote? 

Why not what, and yes I did.  So you think you will be allowed to carry on swanning around the waterways while the whole country is locked down?  I sincerely hope not, and would hope that people would not want that to happen.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

Why not what, and yes I did.  So you think you will be allowed to carry on swanning around the waterways while the whole country is locked down?  I sincerely hope not, and would hope that people would not want that to happen.

This sounds like simple jealousy. You are at home and can't get to your holiday boat so think everyone who lives on a boat should do exactly what? What if they aren't moored near water etc? What do you propose they do? And can you explain how a boat moving spreads the virus?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

This sounds like simple jealousy. You are at home and can't get to your holiday boat so think everyone who lives on a boat should do exactly what? What if they aren't moored near water etc? What do you propose they do? And can you explain how a boat moving spreads the virus?

Operating locks and bridges would spread it. 

1 minute ago, Dave123 said:

Why, I know this is a very stressful time, but you need to be planning how this is going to work for you and your family, which  is why I suggested you talk to CRT, they must have been planning as to how it will work.

We went to the boat today and got all the food off it, we don’t need to take suppliesof long life food from the supermarkets as there was quite a bit on the boat, and bog rolls too, win.

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Get a grip john.

2 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

What if they aren't moored near water etc? 

Then they will need to get moved to within a walk to water pretty quickly.  In fact get moored somewhere suitable tomorrow.

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

Then they will need to get moved to within a walk to water pretty quickly.  In fact get moored somewhere suitable tomorrow.

This country will be on lockdown I think in a few days time so if I was on my boat now I would be moving to somewhere that has facilities. 

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Not as simple as that. There aren't enough facilities for everyone to be a hosepipe length away from a tap. Surely everyone on here knows this! And this will only encourage crowding at prime spots and double mooring which is the last thing they should be doing. And what about getting diesel or a pump out?Even fewer places for that. It will also encourage an exodus of those liveaboards who have relatives etc in houses to move in with them which is also a really bad idea!

Operating locks does not spread it provided you wash your hands or wear gloves even.

It makes me sad how so many people are using coronavirus as an excuse to push their own selfish agendas, be it an excuse not to move every 14 days or an excuse to attack liveaboards 

• Greenie 2

I am not sure what Boris is being told, this all ramped up a week ago. Yet ordinary people do not take precations to avoid picking up disease or transmitting it, they should not touch any communal surface with bare hands, why has this not been pointed out?

7 minutes ago, leeco said:

This country will be on lockdown I think in a few days time so if I was on my boat now I would be moving to somewhere that has facilities. 

Any lock down will permit necessary movement. I do expect CRT will have to change their last notice and discourage any non essential visits or use of canals but encouraging everyone to crowd in at services is really stupid. They may shut navigation in some places too where it doesnt provide access to services, eg across some summit pounds and in places where boaters can't self operate like some tunnels and river locks. I doubt they have planned it though if the gov't haven't!

1 minute ago, Dave123 said:

Not as simple as that. There aren't enough facilities for everyone to be a hosepipe length away from a tap. Surely everyone on here knows this! 

I  suggested within a walk to water  - note a hosepipe length.

No intention to attack liveaboards on my behalf

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I  suggested within a walk to water  - note a hosepipe length.

No intention to attack liveaboards on my behalf

Yes sorry...that bit was a general rant about here and Facebook. Agree but ironically again being a walk away means many more visits outside on the towpath to top up every day with a container than moving the boat once in 3 weeks would involve.

On 20/03/2020 at 10:47, WotEver said:

I think you have it spot on, John. As I’ve said, I’ll report back Monday morning and let y’all know whether or not we get the dried goods. 

As promised, we’ve received our ASDA delivery and the only items missing were...

1. Washing-up liquid
  2. Milk
  3. Spaghetti

Everything else, including fresh meat, chicken, potatoes etc was present. 

I checked last night and if I’d amended the order at that time they would have removed more than 50% of the items, so I left it alone to see if those items (like potatoes) would arrive. 

Contrary to the claims by some that items aren’t reserved, the driver informed me that orders at ASDA are picked as soon as the deliveries are received by the store, and before they open the store to allow the eejits queuing at the door to enter like a cloud of locusts. The only items they don’t supply are those that they haven’t had on their delivery - such as the aforementioned milk and spaghetti. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

As promised, we’ve received our ASDA delivery and the only items missing were...

1. Washing-up liquid
  2. Milk
  3. Spaghetti

Everything else, including fresh meat, chicken, potatoes etc was present. 

I checked last night and if I’d amended the order at that time they would have removed more than 50% of the items, so I left it alone to see if those items (like potatoes) would arrive. 

Contrary to the claims by some that items aren’t reserved, the driver informed me that orders at ASDA are picked as soon as the deliveries are received by the store, and before they open the store to allow the eejits queuing at the door to enter like a cloud of locusts. The only items they don’t supply are those that they haven’t had on their delivery - such as the aforementioned milk and spaghetti. 

Not sure what it is with ASDA and milk, not seen any shortage of milk in any of the others, but the one time we have been to ASDA in the last month there was no milk.

14 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Not as simple as that. There aren't enough facilities for everyone to be a hosepipe length away from a tap. Surely everyone on here knows this! And this will only encourage crowding at prime spots and double mooring which is the last thing they should be doing. And what about getting diesel or a pump out?Even fewer places for that. It will also encourage an exodus of those liveaboards who have relatives etc in houses to move in with them which is also a really bad idea!

Operating locks does not spread it provided you wash your hands or wear gloves even.

It makes me sad how so many people are using coronavirus as an excuse to push their own selfish agendas, be it an excuse not to move every 14 days or an excuse to attack liveaboards 

I recall some liveaboards that we knew at the time hearing about how they survived a long winter freeze, even when having a winter mooring close to but not alongside a water point. The community of boaters got quite good at joining up their hosepipes for quite a long distance so that everyone could fill up. I suspect that those histories will provide some model for what might have to happen in a lockdown - after all, that is effectively what a winter freeze is, just because we have not had one for a while, certainly not this winter, does not mean it will never recur.

15 hours ago, Dave123 said:

It also fundamentally makes no sense...moving a boat in no way contributes to the spread of the virus unless the towpath is crowded with public or you do not wash your hands and/or touch your face whilst/after boating...?‍♂️?‍♂️

You'd have to be washing your hands every minute or so while locking to make this true.  A better and safer option would be to not go boating.

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

You'd have to be washing your hands every minute or so while locking to make this true.  A better and safer option would be to not go boating.

No not if you don't touch your mouth or face. Or you can wear gloves. It's not hard. I don't touch my face anyway when out boating as the ropes etc are all dirty virus or not. I reiterate that boating is far less risky than other essential trips like shops and petrol stations.

• Greenie 1

I saw a good argument against canal boating recently. It applied to caravanners and day trippers too. It said that by going into another area unnecessarily you could possibly introduce the virus and local people could be affected. Also, if you get the virus and need hospitalised you are using NHS resources which could be used for local people. That was enough to make us decide not to go boating and to stay at home.

Haggis