Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

I received this email from Damion today

Hello Brian,

In these unprecedented times our priority is to support the national effort to keep people safe, following the Government’s advice and taking the appropriate action to protect our colleagues and partners, and those of you who live on and around our canals and river navigations, as well as everyone who visits them.

We are acutely aware of the financial issues and concerns that many of our boaters and business partners are facing. We will do what we can to support people during these highly unsettling times and be as flexible as we can regarding payment where there is genuine hardship. But we are facing significant financial challenges of our own, with a large and costly historic network to maintain and keep safe during this crisis, and we depend upon the income we earn to fund that work.  Ultimately, we all need Government to act to provide support for people, and waterway businesses, who have suffered financial impact and we are doing what we can to raise this.

Our canals, rivers and towpaths remain open for use, other than for extended stoppages to complete planned maintenance works, or because of recent flood damage. As a boater, however, you may want to know more about being afloat in this time of crisis. To help answer the questions you may have, about cruising or accessing facilities for example, we’ve published some Frequently Asked Questions and their answers (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs) .

We know that this might be a particularly worrying time for older boaters, especially those who are over 70. If you’re anxious about things and want to talk to someone there are a whole host of support organisations (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/do-you-know-a-vulnerable-boater) to contact.

To give us a better understanding of those boaters most at risk we’re asking anyone who lives permanently on their boat and falls into one of the higher risk categories (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults) , to get in touch with us

Please use our online contact form (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/ways-to-contact-us) in the first instance. If you have a general question and want to speak to someone, you can call our Customer Service Team on 03030 40 40 40 or you can contact  your local boat licensing support team (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/boat-licence-customer-support-team/contact-your-local-officer) . Also, don’t forget that you can use what3words (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-14-feb-2020#threewords) to precisely convey your location to us, or the emergency services, should you need to.

If you want to buy or renew a boat licence, please use our online web licensing portal (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/boat-licence-customer-support-team/contact-your-local-officer) where possible, while you can buy pump out cards and facilities keys from our online shop (https://shop.canalrivertrust.org.uk/shop?_ga=2.219744793.1003240412.1584341951-1142222482.1505483415) .  Please only think about visiting one of our offices if you have no other options.

For more information:
* Read the latest government information on coronavirus (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/public-health-england)
* Read our full statement on coronavirus (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus)

Canal & River Trust

While the (imaginary) cash is being splashed at the moment (and imho much in the wrong places), are there any studies that would suggest how much it would cost to bring 2000+ miles of waterways back to good operational condition? Cheaper than HS2 by two orders of magnitude possibly but what could be done with a billion? Quite a bit possibly.

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

While the (imaginary) cash is being splashed at the moment (and imho much in the wrong places), are there any studies that would suggest how much it would cost to bring 2000+ miles of waterways back to good operational condition? Cheaper than HS2 by two orders of magnitude possibly but what could be done with a billion? Quite a bit possibly.

The £330 billion loan guarantee thing last week was definitely imaginary in the short term, but todays announcement seems to be real cash. It will definitely be real when it finds its way into employees hands where, previously, there was going to be nothing, and possibly, no job.

On 19/03/2020 at 12:26, Keeping Up said:

I remember having to travel with a washing-up bowl full of water with disinfectant in it, placed on the back deck so that you or any crew members could step in it whenever getting on or off the boat such as to work a lock. Never could persuade the dog to step in it though.

Yes, that's my memory too.

We had our first shareboat and had just got the dog in my Avatar, Buster. We were due to start our holiday on the Good Friday. I didn't want his first experience of boating to be having to be disinfected every time he got on or off the boat, so gave our booked holiday to another shareholder.

Typically the restrictions were removed the day before we were due to start the holiday, but it was too late by then, so Buster had to wait until.summer for his first canal experience.

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, that's my memory too.

We had our first shareboat and had just got the dog in my Avatar, Buster. We were due to start our holiday on the Good Friday. I didn't want his first experience of boating to be having to be disinfected every time he got on or off the boat, so gave our booked holiday to another shareholder.

Typically the restrictions were removed the day before we were due to start the holiday, but it was too late by then, so Buster had to wait until.summer for his first canal experience.

At the time we were working in mainly farms,  that was quickly stopped and we got sent to London to work track side, 1 week staying in a service station hotel was grim enough but the next 3 weeks in a grotty B&B sharing a room with 4 other hairy arsed tree surgeons was even grimmer 

4 minutes ago, leeco said:

My brother just called and has been told to stay where he is as you can’t move around by someone from canal and river trust.

Yesterday someone posted an email from their sister who was a Nurse and it allegedly came from the NHS - it was actually a subject of discussion on the BBC who traced it back to a Guy in Italy who re-posted it when he got it from a scammer in China.

(The email saying that C19 died in sunlight and you didn't get infected if you drank warm/hot water etc etc)

Sorry to be sceptical but there is a 'lot of it around'. I'll not hold my breath, we'll see if it becomes an official C&RT announcement

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Yesterday someone posted an email from their sister who was a Nurse and it allegedly cane from the NHS - it was actually a subject of discussion on the BBC who traced it back to a Guy in Italy who re-posted it when he got it from a scammer in China.

(The email saying that C19 died in sunlight and you didn't get infected if you drank warm/hot water etc etc)

Sorry to be sceptical but there is a 'lot of it around'. I'll not hold my breath, we'll see if it becomes an official C&RT announcement

I’m nowhere near my boat so wouldn’t bother me. I don’t believe it either so was just double checking on here. I can see them locking the system down at one point though. 

I’ve just been talking to my brother again and asked who told him and it was a guy who works for canal and river trust and said he’s been told today in a meeting and told my brother to pick a decent spot as it’s getting lockdown. We shall see if it’s true or not.

18 minutes ago, leeco said:

I’ve just been talking to my brother again and asked who told him and it was a guy who works for canal and river trust and said he’s been told today in a meeting and told my brother to pick a decent spot as it’s getting lockdown. We shall see if it’s true or not.

I would be surprised as getting water, pump-out/Elsan, fuel & food must essential travel.  Can’t see CRT leaving vulnerable boaters without water etc. and I don’t see them doing deliveries either.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

I'm not rushing to buy a river license - presently license expired and off water.

This was written in 2008

es39a710.jpg

Well its hard to evaluate that prediction without know how many other predictions psychic Silvia Brown has made, and how many of the others have also turned out to be true.

If you spray predictions around like confetti by pure luck one will come true once in a while, and if you focus only on the one(s) that come true, a very distorted impression is projected.

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well its hard to evaluate that prediction without know how many other predictions psychic Silvia Brown has made, and how many of the others have also turned out to be true.

If you spray predictions around like confetti by pure luck one will come true once in a while, and if you focus only on the one(s) that come true, a very distorted impression is projected.

Snopes isn’t impressed either: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sylvia-browne-coronavirus/

But at least they spell her name correctly. 

On 21/03/2020 at 18:38, leeco said:

How exactly would this work even assuming they are just going to leave hundreds of liveaboards unable to access water/sanitary facilities etc? A padlock at every lock? I can see they may have to strongly discourage general public/non boaters at some point. And discourage leisure use? But this would all be very hard to physically enforce. Possibly some places will shut where CRT staff are required like the Weaver locks or Harecaslte tunnel etc...

It also fundamentally makes no sense...moving a boat in no way contributes to the spread of the virus unless the towpath is crowded with public or you do not wash your hands and/or touch your face whilst/after boating...?‍♂️?‍♂️

Edited by Dave123
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

How exactly would this work even assuming they are just going to leave hundreds of liveaboards unable to access water/sanitary facilities etc? A padlock at every lock? I can see they may have to strongly discourage general public/non boaters at some point. And discourage leisure use? But this would all be very hard to physically enforce. Possibly some places will shut where CRT staff are required like the Weaver locks or Harecaslte tunnel etc...

I think it is a good question to ask CRT, as how can this not happen, and soon.  They can not just let people on boats be still moving around when everyone else is confined to their home.