Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Travelling every 14 days to comply with the rules is necessary .

The government are not suggesting rules and regulations should be suspended - are they ?

Erm, statutes not suggestions,  Shirley!

It is a far more solidly established law of the land which states that "the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances."

That's not quite the same as "Travelling every 14 days to comply with the rules is necessary ."

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I stand humbled and corrected!

I'm not sure I would want to reuse a line from John Orentas though!

I was most amused when we were told that following his move from canal boats to motor bikes, he got involved in more arguments on motor bike forums than he ever did on here!

I came across a new word today;  mumpsimus .  An old word to describe someone who insists that they are right, despite clear evidence that they are not.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was simply responding to your statement 

"Skype is also down"

Which is blatantly untrue because for many of us it isn't 'down'

It may be 'down' in a certain area but, as a whole, it is certainly not 'down'.

Had you said "Skype is down in Manchester / London" then that may well have been correct.

Oh I see, so your pedantry-o-meter was turned up to maximum.  I was making a general and valid point about the stain on IT infrastructure right now.  You and another then did all you could to derail the thread for your own ends.  You must be so pleased with yourself.

17 hours ago, Dave123 said:

What happened during foot and mouth? Wasn't boating back then?

Rural boat gatherings cancelled,  trays with sponge and disinfectant at most locks out in the country which you had to step through.

Cant remember much apart from that.

Not sure if this has been posted before.... apologies if it has.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

Coronavirus and boating FAQs

See below for answers to our frequently asked questions regarding coronavirus and boating.

Should boaters still be cruising?

Our canals, rivers and towpaths remain open for use, other than for extended stoppages to complete planned maintenance works, or as a result of recent flood damage. While travelling along a canal by boat does not necessarily put people in close contact with others, boaters may decide to take some precautions. These could include washing hands after using locks and mooring at quieter places. Boaters should follow the Government’s guidelines on reducing the risk of catching coronavirus.

I’m a continuous cruiser and I need to self-isolate.  Do I still need to cruise?

We will apply the same approach as if you’re suffering from any short-term illness or accident. If you inform us we’ll be able to make any necessary adjustments while you self-isolate. In general, we will still expect boats to comply with the terms of their licence and to move every 14 days. You can contact the Trust by phoning 03030 40 40 40 or contacting us online.

What should I do if I am self-isolating and need help but don’t have any support networks?

Please contact us using the details above. We will work with partners to support boaters self-isolating as best we can without adding to the risk of transmission.

I’m over 70 and live on my boat, do I need to self-isolate?

The Government is advising those over 70 to avoid all unnecessary social contact with others, so we advise that you should organise your boating to limit your contact with others as far as possible.

Are you making any changes to support boaters in at-risk groups?

We are proactively contacting boaters who we know to be in a high risk group, including those with equality adjustments, those who have told us they are pregnant, and those who have told us they are over 70. We are letting them know their options and that we’re here to assist if they have any questions or concerns.

Are Waterways Chaplains still helping boaters in need?

The work and ministry of Waterways Chaplains at this time is especially important, especially for those who are isolated and financially challenged by the crisis. Much of that support may be via phone or email to minimise physical contact. 

Does the Trust have any general advice for boaters?

We know that most of the boating community is very supportive of one another. In such times as these, we ask all boaters to look out for the more vulnerable members of the community. This could mean saving spaces near facilities for those in need, and not overstaying on popular moorings. While we are contacting those boaters we know are in high risk groups, if you know a boater who may also be vulnerable please let us know.

My boat safety scheme certificate is due. What does the Government advice mean for renewal?

All the Navigation Authorities covered by the boat safety scheme agree that it is essential that it continues to protect the physical safety of those around the waterways. The scheme will continue to apply to all appropriate craft on their navigations. Examiners and others involved with the delivery of the scheme will be given further advice. The scheme is following Government guidance and advice will be updated accordingly.

Will I be entitled to a payment holiday for my mooring or boat licence?

We are not able to offer payment holidays but please get in touch with us if you are having payment difficulties. 

Can I still renew my licence by telephone via the Customer Service Team?

Yes, you can still contact our Customer Service Team to licence craft.  As many of our customers have lots of questions there may be a longer wait time for calls to be answered and we ask that callers are patient as we will get to your call as soon as possible. The best course of action is to register to self serve via our web licensing portal.

How can I register to use the online portal?

Register to self serve via our web licensing portal. Look for the ‘Do It All Online’ section where you will be prompted to register (if you haven’t already done so). You can apply for a new licence or renew your current licence and it will be emailed to you immediately.

I do not have an email address, will my licence still be posted to me?

Whilst our offices are still operational your licence documents will be posted to you, including licence discs and direct debit schedules.  There may be some delays due to skeleton staff in offices. Please accept our apologies. Please note that your licence is valid from the point you receive confirmation of successful submission of either your renewal or application. 

What happens if Canal & River staff have to self-isolate?

We have contingency plans in place to ensure we can continue to provide our day-do-day service.

Where can I find out more?

I'm planning a week on the boat from 28th March, to move from Great Haywood to Rufford. I'm concerned that if the UK is in a France/Spain style lockdown at that point, the canals will be closed somehow, but I've read through this whole thread and the consensus seems to be that that won't happen - even in a lockdown, the canals will remain open. Is that the general view? 

20 minutes ago, Galilee said:

I'm planning a week on the boat from 28th March, to move from Great Haywood to Rufford. I'm concerned that if the UK is in a France/Spain style lockdown at that point, the canals will be closed somehow, but I've read through this whole thread and the consensus seems to be that that won't happen - even in a lockdown, the canals will remain open. Is that the general view? 

I made an inquiry with CRT yesterday asking if they had any published Policy as regards how they were going to deal with Coronavirus . The reply was that they were encouraging the benefits of Boating in the fresh air and if anyone was self isolating then this would be treated simply as an overstay . The chap did add that they were monitoring latest Government Instructions in case of any restrictions being imposed to alter this position . I guess its a case of watch this space .

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Galilee said:

The only person who can answer that is Boris. Just heard on the new that the buses and underground are still packed in London as are many bars and he is not to bothered by that

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Galilee said:

At the televised press briefing a short time ago, the PM was asked about travel restrictions in general. He started by making the point that we pride ourselves as a free country and that such restrictions are not our way of things. However, he went on to say, with somewhat less gusto, that nothing is ruled out. Overall, the briefing seems to have suggested, as part of the reason to close schools from this weekend, is that the upward curve is faster than had been hoped and that further downward pressure is needed. If that situation continues and school closures do not have the desired effect (and I detected not a lot of optimism that it will be enough) then I suspect we should expect further restrictions along the lines of some other countries where severe limits do seem, eventually, to coincide with reductions in the incidence of infections. I doubt that travel restrictions would make an exception for the canals, allowing only the most essential movements (like getting water etc)

• Greenie 1

On 17/03/2020 at 10:54, Bewildered said:

If the government are now saying not to travel unnecessarily will CRT be suspending the 14 day mooring rule?

or will CRT staff be out in force to disinfect balance beams and paddle gear?

just wondering aloud, as a live aboard shopping occasionally is necessary but continually cruising is arguably not.

Sounds as though you are looking for an excuse to stay put. Continuous cruising means just that.

• Greenie 2

On 17/03/2020 at 21:50, mrsmelly said:

Yes precisely. A tiny minority will die whilst many thousands will lose their lively hoods due to overkill. 

Overkill? I take it you have some better modelling and data than the experts at Imperial and the LSHTM that says the NHS would cope with the death rate if we all carried on with our heads in the sand like normal? Try to imagine the consequences of a collapsed health care system?

14 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

Sounds as though you are looking for an excuse to stay put. Continuous cruising means just that.

CRTs latest advice is very sensible really. Essentially if you need to stay put then fine, but be considerate and don't hog the best moorings by shops or a service mooring. But navigation will be supported as many need to move for water/pump out/shops/essential repairs at a yard etc. Plus fuel boats moving. Thank goodness for liveaboards otherwise they'd have no reason not to shut the canals!

• Haha 1

Another article you should read:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

"With everything that’s happening about the Coronavirus, it might be very hard to make a decision of what to do today. Should you wait for more information? Do something today? What?

Here’s what I’m going to cover in this article, with lots of charts, data and models with plenty of sources:

How many cases of coronavirus will there be in your area?

What will happen when these cases materialize?

What should you do?

When?

When you’re done reading the article, this is what you’ll take away:

The coronavirus is coming to you. 
It’s coming at an exponential speed: gradually, and then suddenly.
It’s a matter of days. Maybe a week or two.
When it does, your healthcare system will be overwhelmed.
Your fellow citizens will be treated in the hallways. 
Exhausted healthcare workers will break down. Some will die.
They will have to decide which patient gets the oxygen and which one dies. 
The only way to prevent this is social distancing today. Not tomorrow. Today.
That means keeping as many people home as possible, starting now.

As a politician, community leader or business leader, you have the power and the responsibility to prevent this.

You might have fears today: What if I overreact? Will people laugh at me? Will they be angry at me? Will I look stupid? Won’t it be better to wait for others to take steps first? Will I hurt the economy too much?

But in 2–4 weeks, when the entire world is in lockdown, when the few precious days of social distancing you will have enabled will have saved lives, people won’t criticize you anymore: They will thank you for making the right decision."

Edited by David Mack

23 hours ago, Loddon said:

Rural boat gatherings cancelled,  trays with sponge and disinfectant at most locks out in the country which you had to step through.

Cant remember much apart from that.

At the start all canals were shut. Movement was only for notified emergencies and you had to contact BW for permission. We were moored out in the country and only discovered the situation when we arrived at Calcutt locks. As our mooring was just below the locks and my wife was due on back on duty (NHS) we were allowed to work down. Later on it became less ad hoc , i.e. your request was logged and then all requests were considered at one time every day to ensure consistency. 

I seem to remember that reopening was in stages when the disinfectant appeared.

VNF suspends all pleasure boat movements until April 20th.

https://www.vnf.fr/vnf/alertes/mesures-exceptionnelles-mises-en-place-sur-le-reseau-vnf/?fbclid=IwAR1XTdp8vlkS_Lg8snOYaJJ_6nc0Tu4d4Gmx6Y0etuz7hE4LCE4QMPJoY8Q

If the UK goes into lockdown no doubt pleasure boating will be banned here too.

Keith

35 minutes ago, MartinC said:

At the start all canals were shut. Movement was only for notified emergencies and you had to contact BW for permission. We were moored out in the country and only discovered the situation when we arrived at Calcutt locks. As our mooring was just below the locks and my wife was due on back on duty (NHS) we were allowed to work down. Later on it became less ad hoc , i.e. your request was logged and then all requests were considered at one time every day to ensure consistency. 

I seem to remember that reopening was in stages when the disinfectant appeared.

Yes that rings a bell, it was almost 20 years ago and my memory ;)

We had to move the boat clubs first boat gathering from May back to September where it has remained ever since.

I remember having to travel with a washing-up bowl full of water with disinfectant in it, placed on the back deck so that you or any crew members could step in it whenever getting on or off the boat such as to work a lock. Never could persuade the dog to step in it though.

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

VNF suspends all pleasure boat movements until April 20th.

https://www.vnf.fr/vnf/alertes/mesures-exceptionnelles-mises-en-place-sur-le-reseau-vnf/?fbclid=IwAR1XTdp8vlkS_Lg8snOYaJJ_6nc0Tu4d4Gmx6Y0etuz7hE4LCE4QMPJoY8Q

If the UK goes into lockdown no doubt pleasure boating will be banned here too.

Keith

I'm not pleasure boating, I'm just moving my house to self isolate  and social distance on a remote stretch of towpath with a nice view....

Trouble with comparisons to France at the moment is it's mostly commercial, and doesn't have lots of liveaboards moored far from services; and to foot and mouth in the UK 20 years ago again the number of liveaboards has mushroomed. They aren't going to be able to stop people moving to a pump out or to get water etc

47 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Please sir I posted that much earlier.

The unbelievers poo-pood it then as he is not a  medic.

It still remains the best analysis that I have seen and what caused me to social distance, that and the fact that I am a Misanthrope ;)

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Please sir I posted that much earlier.

The unbelievers poo-pood it then as he is not a  medic.

It still remains the best analysis that I have seen and what caused me to social distance, that and the fact that I am a Misanthrope ;)

Oh mebbe I got it from you in the first place then! Had the tab open on my lappy for a day or so.... 

There is this too:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2005492?query=featured_home

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh mebbe I got it from you in the first place then! Had the tab open on my lappy for a day or so.... 

There is this too:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2005492?query=featured_home

No bother.

I do find that article  worrying.

I  have been out today, managed the whole thing without touching any surfaces apart from the items I purchased,

They are now in quarantine for 72hrs until I use them and my hands washed.

Have booked online weekly shops until May will keep extending that weekly.

Really am not going out unless I have to, even getting my favourite beer delivered and that has to stand for 72hrs to settle after the journey.