Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

My bad - I thought they had gone far enough to trigger Insurance cover...………………..

This is why the likes of Pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas are 'up in arms' as their business interruption insurance doesn't cover 'customers deciding not to visit them because the Government has advised not to visit', but, if the Government had made it mandatory to close the business the insurance would pay out.

Countries such as Italy, Spain , France and the USA have made it mandatory not to use such public places so the insurance pays out.

The difference between 'advise' and 'instruct'.

The Chancellor is making an announcement at about 4:45pm today to explain what he will be doing to alleviate the situation.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

....except when you stop to buy your provisions to take with you.

(unless you have been "panic buying" them already :D)

We are thinking along similar lines: we have booked a pénichette on the Canal de Garonne for a week in May - quite a long time away but the bug may not yet have passed over by then. So we may take 'Trojan' out instead and cut our losses.

Not a problem. Mrs.T works for a major supermarket chain. Bog roll, tinned beans, tomatoes anyone? Know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink.?

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

34 minutes ago, Halsey said:

My bad - I thought they had gone far enough to trigger Insurance cover...………………..why should I be surprised that the government is protecting insurance companies - same with Pubs if they closed them officially they would in many cases be covered to a degree (assuming they had a policy of course).

That's possibly because you didn't tick the box for cancellation cover?

No it had cancellation cover, but it does not cover you deciding to not go because you think it is not a good idea or safe.  Another example is my wife’s sister and her husband are currently in Tenerife on lockdown, they flew out last Wednesday, and as at that point the government had not advised against all but essential travel to Spain they had to choose to forfeit or go, they chose to go, and perhaps are regretting that now.

Apparently in Italy you are not allowed out except for essential purposes, which includes exercising dogs.  So anyone with a dog is lending theirs to neighbours so they can get out,   Poor old pooches are getting worn out having six walks a day instead of the usual one.

6 hours ago, Bewildered said:

If the government are now saying not to travel unnecessarily will CRT be suspending the 14 day mooring rule?

or will CRT staff be out in force to disinfect balance beams and paddle gear?

just wondering aloud, as a live aboard shopping occasionally is necessary but continually cruising is arguably not.

What if the working restrictions mean stoppages aren't completed as planned? Will that be grounds to stay out for more than 14 days?

Athy. Today it seems that the canal du midi is closed as are most of the canals in the north of france to pleasure boats. Many marinas are closed to any body other than the staff due to the mandatory restrictions on movement. How long this will last remains to be seen.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Good God!! Some people could start an arguement in an empty room

You have been using that line for so long that I can clearly remember you making the same accusation to John Orentas on CWDF!

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

You have been using that line for so long that I can clearly remember you making the same accusation to John Orentas on CWDF!

Correction, it was John Orentas who leveled that accustion against me.

49 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Athy. Today it seems that the canal du midi is closed as are most of the canals in the north of france to pleasure boats. Many marinas are closed to any body other than the staff due to the mandatory restrictions on movement. How long this will last remains to be seen.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of this happening here is? My limited understanding of the French waterways is they are mostly lock keeper operated with no self service? And less of a cc'ing liveaboard community? Presumably CRT could shut waterways with no self service like the Weaver or Severn? Can't see the feasibility of doing it on ordinary canals. What happened during foot and mouth? Wasn't boating back then?

1 minute ago, Dave123 said:

Does anyone know what the likelihood of this happening here is? My limited understanding of the French waterways is they are mostly lock keeper operated with no self service? And less of a cc'ing liveaboard community? Presumably CRT could shut waterways with no self service like the Weaver or Severn? Can't see the feasibility of doing it on ordinary canals. What happened during foot and mouth? Wasn't boating back then?

Actually the majority of the French waterway locks are controlled remotely either by an electronic zapper or by turning a pole situated away from the lock. On the big rivers the lock keeper is situated in a cabin usually high up above the lock. The action being taken is I assume part of the restriction on movement being enforced in France. However commercials are exempt from the restrictions at present.

Hello Folks

New to the forum but have been holidaying afloat for a number of years.

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.  We have booked and paid for a hire boat from next Saturday, 28th March.  With regard to the current state of things will we still be OK to travel, at the moment the hire company is saying that business is normal.

Looking forward to hearing from you and apologies if I have gone off topic but this was only Covid Post I found.

Best regards

Chris.

Edited by Chris Dooley
Missed a fact
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Not a problem. Mrs.T works for a major supermarket chain. Bog roll, tinned beans, tomatoes anyone? Know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink.?

AhAh! The secret is out, now we know who is emptying the supermarket shelves.

47 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

They stopped us boating during foot and mouth. I was moving along the G and S canal and approaching Splatt Bridge when we were stopped by BW bod and asked to go no further. They allowed us to moor anywhere we wanted which happened to be next to some long term moorings until the problem was resolved.

23 minutes ago, Chris Dooley said:

Hello Folks

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.  We have booked and paid for a hire boat from next Saturday, 28th March.  With regard to the current state of things will we still be OK to travel, at the moment the hire company is saying that business is normal.

Looking forward to hearing from you and apologies if I have gone off topic but this was only Covid Post I found.

Best regards

Chris.

You will be fine. In fact my mate has offers on for his hire fleet advertising self isolation holidays and offering discounts. Enjoy your boating. Life goes on but for a miniscule minority that will be unlucky.

32 minutes ago, Chris Dooley said:

Hello Folks

Best regards

Chris.

Travel by canal should be fine. Enjoy.

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Correction, it was John Orentas who leveled that accustion against me.

I stand humbled and corrected!

I'm not sure I would want to reuse a line from John Orentas though!

I was most amused when we were told that following his move from canal boats to motor bikes, he got involved in more arguments on motor bike forums than he ever did on here!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

They stopped us boating during foot and mouth. I was moving along the G and S canal and approaching Splatt Bridge when we were stopped by BW bod and asked to go no further. They allowed us to moor anywhere we wanted which happened to be next to some long term moorings until the problem was resolved.

You will be fine. In fact my mate has offers on for his hire fleet advertising self isolation holidays and offering discounts. Enjoy your boating. Life goes on but for a miniscule minority that will be unlucky.

Well...by miniscule minority you mean the thousands that will die? Guess you weren't including everyone working in travel or hospitality who is going bankrupt/redundant? That's a bit more than a miniscule minority...?

5 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Well...by miniscule minority you mean the thousands that will die? Guess you weren't including everyone working in travel or hospitality who is going bankrupt/redundant? That's a bit more than a miniscule minority...?

Yes precisely. A tiny minority will die whilst many thousands will lose their lively hoods due to overkill. 

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I stand humbled and corrected!

I'm not sure I would want to reuse a line from John Orentas though!

I was most amused when we were told that following his move from canal boats to motor bikes, he got involved in more arguments on motor bike forums than he ever did on here!

I actually met John several times whilst we were on the boat in Whaley Bridge and Bugsworth Basin, and got on really well with him. He was nothing like I imagined he would be, and not the least confrontational as he could be on the forum. As for Motorbiking Forums, have you ever been on one? they make this forum look like a cross between the WI and the Methodist Church.

Edited by David Schweizer

12 hours ago, Bewildered said:

If the government are now saying not to travel unnecessarily will CRT be suspending the 14 day mooring rule?

Travelling every 14 days to comply with the rules is necessary .

The government are not suggesting rules and regulations should be suspended - are they ?