Tibberton Bridge

max's son

Featured Posts

This heritage bridge on the Worcester and Birmingham was built for a different type of transport in a different age in the last stage of making the Worcester & Birmingham Canal to Lowesmore and Diglis.

How much damage that has been done, will no doubt be forthcoming. Why such a large vehicle was passing along Plough Road is something that needs to be addressed and particularly with Joseph Holloway. Their base is Valencia Wharf, Oldbury adjacent to where Allen Brothers built boats. They also had their own boats at one time!

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

Why not send the picture to the hauliers via TwitBook or whatever and see what reaction you get - I know that bridge well I'm surprised it hasn't got a weight limit - was there an incident on the M5 south?

If I have the correct bridge street view shows 17t limit. The approach has a very sharp bend.

5 hours ago, Halsey said:

Why not send the picture to the hauliers via TwitBook or whatever and see what reaction you get - I know that bridge well I'm surprised it hasn't got a weight limit - was there an incident on the M5 south?

It was probably trying to avoid the zillion sets of long term roadworks affecting the A38 and A4538 between Droitwich and Worcester or Evesham. The road concerned ultimately joins those two roads at either end.

JP

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

If I have the correct bridge street view shows 17t limit. The approach has a very sharp bend.

Yes it has a weight limit as shown below, what it needs however is a length limit since any long vehicle is going to struggle to get around that corner. I may be wrong but I suspect that if that lorry is empty it may not even have exceeded the weight limit assuming that the tractor unit is about 6 tons, I can't see the trailer being the same weight but say 14 tons in total maximum, and yet it looks totally inappropriate on a bridge like that.

image.png.0332587ab86fbe3722dc3b46f865c10a.png

9 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

But the limit is 17T Maximum Gross Weight so would apply to that vehicle regardless of if it was empty or loaded. Blatantly breaking the law, as well as incredibly irresponsible. 

Yes it's the classification of the vehicle rather than the actual weight of it empty or loaded. The same applies to the 7.5 tonne limits you see everywhere, often in residential areas which are there to stop all but little 'box van sized' lorries going there.

On 18/03/2020 at 09:12, Grassman said:

Yes it's the classification of the vehicle rather than the actual weight of it empty or loaded. The same applies to the 7.5 tonne limits you see everywhere, often in residential areas which are there to stop all but little 'box van sized' lorries going there.

Condemned by their own web site! They seem to have spelling difficulties.1968976430_Screenshot2020-03-19at12_04_42.png.8a012163d287bd10815e81eba488d41e.png