CC with Car

The Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

Starting next month I’ll be a CC liveaboard.  I know some boaters of this ilk attempt to keep a car on the go... mooring at locations with parking then using public transport or a bicycle to collect their wheels.  I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this for a while… how hard was it to find suitable temporary parking without annoying the locals?  Any tips or websites that helped with this?  Did you find the hassle and expense of a car was no longer justified?

Ive done it many times. Sometimes with two cars that we hop. Sometimes public transport sometimes wife on bike. Never a problem parking but never done it in some dump like London, it will depend what locations you mean??

• Greenie 1

Generally, finding parking spaces is possible. Google maps and Streetview is invaluable for searching ahead.

It really helps to have an old, worthless car which is unlikely to attract unwanted attention and doesn't represent much of a loss if it does. 

Everyone is different, but we tend to alternate keeping  the car close with periods when we don't use it and it gets left far behind, followed by an all-day trip by public transport to get it back.  A bike is useful in the summer, but the towpaths are too muddy in the winter.

MP.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive done it many times. Sometimes with two cars that we hop. Sometimes public transport sometimes wife on bike. Never a problem parking but never done it in some dump like London, it will depend what locations you mean??

Well certainly not That London... I'd rather be boating on the Tigris.

14 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

It really helps to have an old, worthless car which is unlikely to attract unwanted attention and doesn't represent much of a loss if it does.

Check.

I know people who have done this but talking to them, it's a real pain. Security is a real issue in many areas. Personally I've carried my 125cc motor bike on the back of the boat for the past 7 years. Shopping trips need to be every 3 days or so due to the limited carrying capacity. Carrying other things can be a challenge but challenges can often be overcome. I refitted my living room last year, collected all the timber from a merchant, cut it into 6' lengths and rammed into a fishing holdall.

• Greenie 1

Just now, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I know people who have done this but talking to them, it's a real pain. Security is a real issue in many areas. Personally I've carried my 125cc motor bike on the back of the boat for the past 7 years. Shopping trips need to be every 3 days or so due to the limited carrying capacity. Carrying other things can be a challenge but challenges can often be overcome. I refitted my living room last year, collected all the timber from a merchant, cut it into 6' lengths and rammed into a fishing holdall.

I agree, its a real pain and we usualy sell our cars when we go off cruising. However we dont usualy last long b4 we buy a car or two. Even though retired we do around 25k miles a year and doing that by train or taxi or hire car would cost massively more than two cheap cars. There is no answer that suits all people and all circumstance.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree, its a real pain and we usualy sell our cars when we go off cruising. However we dont usualy last long b4 we buy a car or two. Even though retired we do around 25k miles a year and doing that by train or taxi or hire car would cost massively more than two cheap cars. There is no answer that suits all people and all circumstance.

This is my thinking.  It's tempting to just get rid but really you're just replacing expense and inconvenience with... expense and inconvenience.

17 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I have previously thought about getting a moped or ebike.  If I'd got a cruiser that may have been viable but I've gone for a semi-trad.

Pick a quiet street of houses, look for one with an empty weedy drive way and peeling paintwork. Chances are its an old dear living there with no car. Knock and politely offer a few pieces of silver for parking on the drive. Always works for me.

• Greenie 1